Author Topic: Level of Detail Differs Drastically From Creature to Tribe and Beyond?  (Read 3190 times)

Offline WeAreLegion

• Wolfenstein Wunderkind
    • View Profile
    • Noigel's Art
Let me start with: I am not complaining.

Now that that is out of the way...is it just me or is there a drastic difference in the detail level between the Creature phase and the rest?  What I mean is that you cannot ever zoom in enough to get back to that detailed view of the world you have as a creature with the blurry distant structures, pollen in the air, trees with light streaming through the canopy...

Eample 1:

Note that in this example from the creature phase you have ground foliage and the gas giant is not completely visible due to the light of the sun through the atmosphere...

Example 2:

In this next example from the Creature phase we can again see both the moon of my home planet and the gas giant just above.  Due to the atmosphere they are hazy and details are not as clear...

Example 3:

In this example form the Civ phase we can clearly see the gas giant in all its glory.  Beautiful in its own right, but I could not get the old view no mater how much I zoomed into the surface...

Example 4:

For the final example, something simple: vehicles on the ground zoomed into.  Where is the foliage from the prior stages?  Where is the atmospheric effects?  Again it is great looking but not the same.

Now I have not spent much time experimenting so perhaps I am just not trying hard enough, but since I am at work and the idea just hit me, I thought I would bounce it off the forum! ;)

Discuss!!

Offline DarkDragon

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile
Re: Level of Detail Differs Drastically From Creature to Tribe and Beyond?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2008, 12:46:43 pm »
Take screenshots with freecam in creature/tribe and civ/space, also beam down to the planet and take a screenshot of how it looks :D
DarkDragon's Minecraft Survival Server (use this as the IP):

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

- The server uses a whitelist, if you're not on the whitelist (can't connect), PM me your minecraft name.

Offline WeAreLegion

• Wolfenstein Wunderkind
    • View Profile
    • Noigel's Art
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2008, 12:53:03 pm »
Take screenshots with freecam in creature/tribe and civ/space, also beam down to the planet and take a screenshot of how it looks :D

By freecam you mean the magnifying glass mode from the Esc screen?

And I do not have the hologram ability, just got to space.

So your saying I will see the old visuals if I do these things?  If so...I did the 'freecam' as you call it and could not get the old creature stage look...

And yes all settings are on high, the same setting through each stage. ;)

Offline DarkDragon

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2008, 12:56:36 pm »
There's a cheat to fly around freely with the camera I think, I'm pretty sure if you beam down to the planet it looks like in creature stage.
DarkDragon's Minecraft Survival Server (use this as the IP):

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

- The server uses a whitelist, if you're not on the whitelist (can't connect), PM me your minecraft name.

Offline huggkruka

• Space Ace
  • Totally powers
    • View Profile
    • My Digitalart.org profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2008, 01:40:45 pm »
It's the same as any game. Stuff that you seldom see close will not have the same level of detail, to save CPU usage. In civ, there are so many things going on it would be stupid to have all that lush environment that you can only see when you zoom all the way in. Spore is supposed to be for all computers, and I'm thankful of that because mine isn't all that high-end anymore.  :)

Offline Rubric

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2008, 01:42:45 pm »

For the final example, something simple: vehicles on the ground zoomed into.  Where is the foliage from the prior stages?  Where is the atmospheric effects?  Again it is great looking but not the same.

Are your pictures all from the same planet?

I've played less than you, as I have not even reached Civ yet, but I was really impressed with how different my first planet was from my second planet.  In my first time through the creature phase, it was basically very flat without much foliage.  In my second game, I'm playing on a mountainous planet.  There are steep hills, inland lakes, outcroppings of crystal rocks, and tons of trees everywhere.  It's awesome.

I will be disappointed if that stuff disappears when I reach Civ.

Offline Conflict

• Video Pinball Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2008, 01:45:02 pm »
Here's a picture with the detail level from a holographic view on a T1 planet, one with a sun and another with a planet. The ground seems to be sprites of rocks instead of plants, but that might be because its a T1.

Third picture is a T3 planet.

Offline fallout386

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2008, 01:51:27 pm »
It's the same as any game. Stuff that you seldom see close will not have the same level of detail, to save CPU usage. In civ, there are so many things going on it would be stupid to have all that lush environment that you can only see when you zoom all the way in. Spore is supposed to be for all computers, and I'm thankful of that because mine isn't all that high-end anymore.  :)

It doesn't mean they still can't allow all these options to be shown with graphis details levels. That's what all those settings are for. So when we have those quantum-core computers in the future with hologram displays we can enjoy the beauty of Spore more ;)

Offline WeAreLegion

• Wolfenstein Wunderkind
    • View Profile
    • Noigel's Art
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2008, 01:57:40 pm »

True and remember I am not upset at all...not saying it needs a 'fix'!

Besides the hologram screens above seem to show that detail may still be there.  Regardless it is an amazing game. :)

Offline ksl

• Breakout Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2008, 06:40:29 pm »
I guess it'd be pretty cool if you could go back stages, for those people who enjoy the tribal stage for example. Instead of just starting over after you finish it and evolve, you could go up to the space stage and pick a new planet to start over the tribal. That's probably expansion content though, it'd take a bit of work to be seamless in a mechanical sense.

Offline Ondaderthad

• Rigel Rescuer
    • View Profile
    • Area32 - Westgate Builders
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2008, 10:13:37 pm »
That's what Will Wright was describing as the Power of 10.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41gWUkVQ-9U" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41gWUkVQ-9U</a>

in cell stage you are in a small pool. Creature in just an island of your planet. Tribe uses a whole continent. Civ the whole planet. etc..

Of course you lose detail with the Power of Ten.

Offline DaMuncha

• Lode Runner
  • GREAT SCOTTS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2008, 02:14:24 am »
Im finding im getting a bug where when I hatch again and im a baby, the baby and the mother will be using the low poly (low detail) versions of that creature and it just looks bad up close. when the camera is up close it should be using the high detail version but wont when im a baby, which is weird.

Offline Necrox

• Venture Conqueror
  • Underwater Civs For President!
    • View Profile
    • Lupus Photo
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2008, 03:27:40 am »
I disagree that you have to loose anything when you swap stages.
The only thing that should matter is the camera's distance from the object, this is where level of detail and clipping comes in. Of course when you're in civ or tribe and overview everything from far away it should be simplified. But when you zoom in to the ground there should be nothing hindering them from rendering the full details from creature phase - exactly like it seems to be done with the hologram in space.

A good example is "Black & White".
When you were zoomed all the way out so you could see the entire island, the detail was dropped dramatically to only show rough textures and simple polygons, and less of them. If you zoomed all the way in to a granary, you could se a barrel, on the top of the barrel was an apple, in the apple was a worm peeking out. In B&W 2 you could see ants on the ground, and individual grass straws.
There's nothing stopping the civ/tribal phase from doing the same. The rendering power is not used if outside the distance sphere specified by the engine or config files.

I've not looked into it excessively at home, but it is my impression as well that the level of possible detail is a lot lower in those two phases, and in space as well when you're in your UFO - but not when projected.