Author Topic: Attn Maxis: Suggestions for changes to the game  (Read 3417 times)

Offline kandalf

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
Attn Maxis: Suggestions for changes to the game
« on: September 07, 2008, 01:52:19 pm »
I've seen a lot of complaints swirling around these forums since the game's release, and thought it would be better to compile all of them, along with possible fixes into a single thread. That way, if anyone at Maxis wants to see the most common complaints, they're all in one place. Tell me anything else you think should be added to the list. With a quick scan through some of the relevant threads I've come up with these. I will try to keep this list updated.

Features:
Targeting system in space.
Relationship web between all the of the empires you have encountered.
More options for diplomacy, such as embargoes, non-aggression pacts, defensive pact, and demanding tribute.
Allow for sorting items in cargo bay.
Have a button in the bottom left to have permanent green paths between all planets on the screen that are within reach of one another, given your drive level.
Autosave!

Problems/Complaints/Annoyances
, along with possible fixes:

Picking up spice from each planet in planet view
Allow for it to be picked up at galactic level (the level where you just see the sun), or be able to pay to have it shuttled back to homeworld.
Too much scrolling is required
Hotkeys for different zoom levels (I know two already exist) and an option to increase mousewheel sensitivity.
Allies suck at fighting
?
Enemies get large fleets, player has few ships under control
Allow the player to hire ships for defense of his/her own planets, or for tactical strikes on enemy planets.
Missions are repetitive and shallow
?
Space is too populated
A slider for space population density.
Too much micromanaging for city layouts in space
Allow for city layouts for each level of terraforming to be saved, and a default layouts for all new cities to be set.
Reselecting buildings for each colony
Allow for default buildings to be set for entire empire.
Going to each planet to contact empires
Long range radio that allows you to select from a list of contacted species.
Wormholes are hard to keep track of
A tool that brings up a map of the galaxy with lines between wormholes you've been through.
Keeping track of spice prices is difficult
An in-game notepad, or log.
Rebuilding buildings after attack
Have an option to rebuy any buildings that is destroyed on that planet.
AI's are too aggressive
?
Constant pirate attacks and eco disasters
Allow these to be turned off.
All content is shared unless the player is playing offline
Have an option to turn off sharing for either the game session, game, or forever. Any of those would be fine. I can see Maxis not wanting the option to forever turn it off, as it would limit the amount of content getting into the sporepedia if lots of people started doing that.
Only one placeable pin
Add  the ability to place an unlimited number of pins with custom text and colors. Plus the ability to place a "pin" in creature/civ/tribal which would simply be a marker on the mini-map, and by hovering over the marker on the mini-map you could see your description of the pin.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 07:46:11 pm by kandalf »

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
Re: Attn Maxis: Suggestions for changes to the game
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 06:02:08 am »
Split back to it's own thread due to popular demand. Please don't spam the thread and keep the main discussion here: http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=13996.0

Let the OP update the first post with his ideas.

Offline kandalf

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 02:56:11 pm »
Thanks so much LadyM!

And I'd like to echo your sentiments about keeping this thread spam free. Please post in the other thread. As for what should be posted in the other thread, this is what I would like to see....

if you see a complaint/problem has already been posted/is on the list, then please don't post about it again! The exception is if you have come up with another possible fix for the problem.

And remember, what we're hoping for is a patch. Patches generally don't implement big grandiose features. For example, while a hotkey to bring up an in-game notepad is feasible, something like the ability to destroy suns or to customize tribal huts would be a large project and we would definitely not see in a patch. I admit, however, that some suggestions I have /may/ not be feasible, and while there is a reasonable possibility they could be placed in patch those types are okay. An example is the slider for how populated space is. It's very possible the current chunk of code for populating space would be very hard to integrate with such a thing, however, it's also very possible that such a slider is feasible. We really just have no clue.

Also, don't use that thread to complain about not having features that have been said will be in expansion packs, as that's a dead giveaway that 1)It's a large chunk of code, or 2)Maxis wants to make more money off of Spore and so they're definitely not putting that feature in a patch.

I'll be updating the list shortly, as soon as I get a bit of spare time. Hopefully later I'll have time to rummage through some threads. In addition, Rusted should be sending me a list he has put together....

Offline Necrox

• Venture Conqueror
  • Underwater Civs For President!
    • View Profile
    • Lupus Photo
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2008, 09:40:02 am »
Planet Pins
Currently you can pin ONE planet so it has an icon like your homeworld. My suggestion is unlimited custom pins where you can define a brief text to put in the bubble, to make naviation and remembering what you're doing in each system easier. It can be hard to remember everything when you're called away to fights and eco disasters every other minute.

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2008, 12:52:00 pm »
Maybe some better hotkeys for the control panel in space, like for the categories. unless that would end up bieng too clunky.

Offline Parkaboy

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
    • My Sporepedia Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2008, 01:06:39 pm »
Planet Pins
Currently you can pin ONE planet so it has an icon like your homeworld. My suggestion is unlimited custom pins where you can define a brief text to put in the bubble, to make naviation and remembering what you're doing in each system easier. It can be hard to remember everything when you're called away to fights and eco disasters every other minute.

Not only that, but markers like in Sim City 4, so we can name seas, continents, etc.

Offline Yannick

• Tetris Tumbler
  • The end is nigh
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2008, 03:31:53 pm »
I've seen a lot of complaints swirling around these forums since the game's release, and thought it would be better to compile all of them, along with possible fixes into a single thread. That way, if anyone at Maxis wants to see the most common complaints, they're all in one place. Tell me anything else you think should be added to the list. With a quick scan through some of the relevant threads I've come up with these. I will try to keep this list updated.

Features:
Targeting system in space.
Relationship web between all the of the empires you have encountered.
More options for diplomacy, such as embargoes, non-aggression pacts, defensive pact, and demanding tribute.
Allow for sorting items in cargo bay.
Have a button in the bottom left to have permanent green paths between all planets on the screen that are within reach of one another, given your drive level.
Autosave!

OH GOD YES to those in bold. I often lose like 2 hours of gaming time because I'm so in the game I forget to save...

Untill the game crashes.

Relationships between allies and enemies is awesome idea too.

Planetary Self-Defense
Pirate attacks and stuff don't annoy me. It's going there to see my turrets blast them to bits.

"It's only your virginity, loosen up!"