Author Topic: The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy  (Read 22433 times)

Offline voodoo

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile
Re: The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2005, 04:54:17 pm »
I've been looking everywhere in my house for the first book...I have the later 4 but I'm hoping to re-read the "trilogy" before the movie comes out. I don't know too much about it, but Mos Def definitely could pull of being Ford.

If you have not read it, you definitely should! Best sci-fi books out there.

Offline Brad

• Breakout Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2005, 07:34:35 am »
I LOVE the Hitchhiker's Guide trilogy, and have been waiting since I first read about the movie being in 'Development Hell' after Douglas Adams first died (Sad, sad day..). But now that the movie's finally almost here, I'm so friggen excited I can't stand it! Yes, Zaphod does, indeed, have a third arm. Yes, he also has a second head. And no, Marvin doesn't look too cheery. I've watched the trailers so many times it's not funny. I've memorized it all. Some small details will just give away that Marvin's depressed. One being that he's slouched over.
However, does anyone have any idea who the half-man is, with all the robotic legs? I actually re-read the series after seeing the trailer, and he wasn't in there anywhere.

Either way, this movie'll be fantastic. Hurrah!

Offline lemurbouy

• Defender Devotee
  • oh my...
    • View Profile
    • Leeman's Livejournal!
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2005, 07:55:09 am »
This movie is being based somewhat on a script Adams worked on before dieing but, the Hitchhiker's continuity is always being monkeyed around with so he could very well be a completely new character.  It's John Malkavich which is an interesting choice so I'm certainly intrigued.  What I'm curious about is whether this is going to be a contained story or the beginning of a series of films.  So much suspense...so little underwear.  -leeman

Offline Morslok

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2005, 04:47:49 pm »
Sorry to rain on your parade, guys, but maybe you should read this: http://planetmagrathea.com/shortreview.html This guys has written a biography on Douglas Adams (the author of H2G2 for those new to those books out there) and I respect his opinion. You may discredit this, just thought I would give you a heads up. I read the long version and it's even more depressing, but *LOTS OF SPOILERS*.

That said I fully endorse the books (thought Mostly Harmless is my least favorite, while Life, the Universe, and Everything is my favorite) and the TV show done for the BBC.

My favorite quote (from the books) is: "The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't." Great stuff.
Signed, Morslok

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2005, 11:09:23 pm »
I'm waiting very impatiently for this movie it should be awsome.

I hope they make all the books I want to see marvins cricket stump leg in life the universe and everything. That and the whole Krikket wars thing in genral.

Offline Scipion

• Stargate Superstar
  • Returned from the grave, now with more immunities!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2005, 03:45:26 pm »
I'd like for them to go into the Kricket wars too. My favorite book was So Long and Thanks For All The Fish, especially the only Sane man on the planet, he was awsome.
-Just like Gaming Steve all of my ideas, suggestions, and comments are merely edjucated guesses. These are based on prior experience and current released info.-

Offline Behumat

• Joust Warrior
  • Coruscant committee to fight urban sprawl
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2005, 08:34:28 am »
I'm going to have to go home and dig out my leather bound colelctors copy of the series, so I can re-read it.....I think I've still got a two dollar bill wedged in the pages somewhere too. hmmm

Offline GameManic

• Dragster Diehard
  • I can't let you leave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2005, 03:55:39 pm »
I bought the books a few days ago and love them so far can't wait for the movie.
"Listen, I mean that from my knowledge of the world that I see around me, I think that it is much more likely that the reports of flying saucers are the results of the known irrational characteristics of terrestrial intelligence than of the unknown rational efforts of extra-terrestrial intelligence."
-Richard Feynman

Offline zaphod

• Akalabeth Addict
  • Didn't yah hear, I come in 6 packs.
    • View Profile
    • Me and my wifes little blog
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2005, 11:42:10 am »
FRIDAY FRIDAY FRIDAY!!!!!  I have been wating over 10 years for this movie!  I hope its good, and based on the trailers it looks like it will be.  As for the weird half man half android thing, he has something to do with The Great Green Arculseizure (however you spell it) and the coming of The Great White Hankercheif.  Should be interesting.

Offline voodoo

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2005, 05:02:09 pm »
I'm seeing it this weekend!

I read this review about it that completely trashed it though. they said they changed too much of douglas adam's original script and took out a lot of the funny parts. I really hope that isn't true; I've been anticipating this movie for awhile now! it would suck if it sucked.

Offline zaphod

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2005, 08:48:24 am »
I tend not to trust reviews, especially after Cold Mountain and Nepolian Dynamite (I hated both).  I thought the trailer was great, and if the movie is like it then it should be good.  I'm not expecting Adams greatness, but still a good laugh. 

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2005, 05:28:44 pm »
So far it seems to be getting decent reviews. Not amazing but very good. Metacritic has it at 61% so far, which is pretty good for them:

http://www.metacritic.com/film/titles/hitchhikersguidetothegalaxy
Check out Gaming Steve on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/thegamingsteve

Offline zaphod

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2005, 09:38:57 am »
7  1/2 hours to go!  AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  (Listening to the origonal Radio broadcasts right now)

Offline ZeldaGamerMonthly

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2005, 06:58:13 am »
So long, and thanks for all the fish.
So sad that it should come to this.
We tried to warn you all but, oh dear.

You may not share our intellect,
Which might explain your disrespect
For all the natural wonders that grow around you.

So long, so long, and thanks for all the fish.

The world's about to be destroyed,
There's no point getting all annoyed.
Lie back and let the planet dissolve.

Despite those nets and tuna feats,
We thought that most of you were sweet.
Especially tiny tots and pregnant women.

So long, so long, so long, so long, so long!
So long, so long, and thanks for all the fish!

If I had one last wish, I would like a tasty fish.
If I could just change one thing, we would all have learned to sing.

So long, so long, and thanks for all the fish!

Offline GameManic

• Dragster Diehard
  • I can't let you leave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2005, 03:44:14 pm »
I went to see it last night and I did enjoy it being now a fan of the books.  It does change alot of the plot which of course was to be expected.  All in all it was not bad... too bad it wasn't great
"Listen, I mean that from my knowledge of the world that I see around me, I think that it is much more likely that the reports of flying saucers are the results of the known irrational characteristics of terrestrial intelligence than of the unknown rational efforts of extra-terrestrial intelligence."
-Richard Feynman