Author Topic: 1,000 1 star ratings on amazon.com  (Read 10389 times)

Offline Sub

• Time Pilot Trekker
  • End is tough.
    • View Profile
1,000 1 star ratings on amazon.com
« on: September 08, 2008, 07:38:26 pm »
Spore is being killed on the amazon.com customer reviews.  It currently has 993 1 star ratings and 27 5 star ratings, two of which were from 2006. 

Almost all of the 1 star ratings were given to it not because it's a bad game, but solely because of the draconian DRM that didn't even work in the first place.  I'm having mixed reactions about this - I don't want this to affect the sales of the game, but I want EA to remove the ridiculous DRM and this seems like it might be an effective approach.

@Any mods:  I'm not trying to break any rules.  If you feel I am, you can delete the thread and I apologize.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 09:43:16 pm by Sub »

Offline WesHowe

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
    • Custom Sims 3
Re: Spore and it's amazon.com rating
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 07:51:21 pm »
I read a bunch of the bad reviews, almost all of them say the same thing.

I think it is a coordinated effort by people opposed to the copy protection. Too many people used too many identical phrases like "draconian DRM", and few had little to say about gameplay.

It's an issue for EA, but not for me. It works fine here, and installed without a hitch.

Offline Zaefyr

• Breakout Battler
    • View Profile
    • Zaefyr's Spore Page
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2008, 07:52:45 pm »
Yeah, I saw them, too, and generally share the same views as you. Like many others, I don't like the DRM protection scheme, but at the same time I'm one of those people who believe that reviews on merchant websites should pertain more to the actual product itself than whatever shady business practices may be going on behind it, as bad and worthy of negative attention as they may be. I'm sure those reviews have managed to turn away potential buyers to some effect (even those who don't care nor know anything about DRM), which is why I sort of wish people would stop using the review space as a soapbox in all fairness to objective customers, but that's just me and my two cents, for what they're worth.

Offline Murali

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2008, 08:04:07 pm »
It's an issue for EA, but not for me. It works fine here, and installed without a hitch.

One install:  Installed on my HTPC -- Ran once, won't run again.  Reformatting HTPC right now (Had other issues)
Two install:  Installed on my destkop -- Caused my desktop to BSOD everytime I tried running it, and started making my nVidia control panel BSOD.  (Desktop had other issues... thought weren't related, but apparently they were)
Three Install:  Back on the desktop, works for the moment.
Will be reinstalling on the HTPC as soon as thats back up and running... will let you all know...

Offline Judhudson

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
    • SporePrograms
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2008, 08:10:23 pm »
Honestly...I can't blame the reviewers.  After all, they are reviewing the whole product, and the DRM is part of the product (which many of the reviews are focusing on).  Not only that, but we gave EA a chance.  Folks complained, petitioned, started up Anti-DRM sites.  Nothing of which EA seemed to care/notice.  So now the only thing users/gamers can do is place a bad review against it in hopes that it will reach gaming news sites (and boy, has it) in which EA will catch on.

I'd love to see them come out and issue an apology with a patch to remove the limits, but that is wishful thinking.  Oh well, we will have to wait until expansions come out.  If there are bound to be a lot of angry players, just wait until expansions start causing problems and users will have to go thru the mess of uninstalling/reinstalling and updating hardware.
Owner of SporePrograms & SimPrograms
http://www.sporeprograms.com - http://www.simprograms.com

Offline Evildude

• Dragster Diehard
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2008, 09:43:15 pm »
I've seen this exact same topic posted on a few other boards.
I need a sig because the lack of one annoys me.
Life, the Universe, and Everything
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Evildude

Offline Azriel

• Fire Truck Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2008, 09:52:07 pm »
The reviews are fair I think.  DRM is a BIG factor in Spore, the way it is set up, you do not OWN the game, but are just renting it.  If, for whatever reason you install more than 3 times you have to call them, explain WHY and have to ASK to install your own game again.  That is beyond intrusive and a lot of people are justifiably angry.  I bought spore, I think the game is ok, however I have this nagging voice in the back of my head constantly worried that the game will not work one day (too many installs, upgrades, no internet connection, EA shuts the servers down..etc..etc).  This will probably be the LAST game I buy from EA with anything like this.  On a related note, I just read that EA is doing the same DRM for red alert 3, I guess that is another game I can remove from my list of games I want.

Offline Rusted

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
Re: 1,000 1 star ratings on amazon.com
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2008, 09:59:37 pm »
I've gotten emails from groups I belong to that have done this before.
Terraforming. 
Turning dirt, forming.
Turning dirt; forming.
Terraforming.

Rusted -Sporepedia Name and Link
PM if you add me, I'll return the favor.

Offline google_video_fan

• Revenging Yar
  • The video that started it all...
    • View Profile
    • http://othersite.org
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2008, 10:02:10 pm »
Stupid, stupid EA...

1) Spore was pirated before it was even released.

2) Spore has received a tremendous number of negative reviews, primarily for its DRM.

3) EA spent a ton of money on Securom.

4) EA dragged Maxis down with it.

5) The creative-gaming experiment has failed.

I think these Amazon reviewers have good reason to be upset. Not only was the game dumbed down, but the 3-install-per rule is ridiculous.

i'm a fan of the GDC 2005 Spore video on Google Videos...

http://othersite.org <- my site

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2008, 10:09:31 pm »
Hopefully nobody is mass-jamming the five star button either though. Spore does not deserve a one but it also does not deserve a five.

Offline immortius

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2008, 10:26:46 pm »
"Draconian DRM" is not hyperbole. The DRM was actually designed by a race of evolved, bipedal dragons.

Offline Poised

• Rigel Rescuer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2008, 10:32:14 pm »
Im expecting the game in 3 hours, and I did not know it would include this securom malware, if a huge name like Will cannot prevent this crap being put in his games then no one can, all we can do is complain and stop buying their scam, I give 5/5 stars to the amazon complainers, and from now on I dont buy games at launch unless Im sure it doesnt include this crap, I cant believe they actually fooled me again and sold me another trojan horse ....

Offline killah2km

• Pong Paddle
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2008, 10:32:51 pm »
I never really post on here allot but I am one of those pissed off amazon.com reviewers  >:(, I bought a copy of spore from my local circuitcity and everytime I try to connect online I get errors when I try to link it to my account, I called up EA got the run around, and decided to try and return it... what a waste. I had to file a dispute with my creditcard company to get my money back as the store refused to take the game back, I just left it at customer service counter.
I am not sure if I will ever pay for another game from EA if they put these kind of restrictions in future games, now I see why PC gaming is falling, it's not the pirates it's the dam publishers screwing the paying customers, I wish they could understand that pirates don't make them any money, we the paying customers do, and if you screw with us the paying customers you will have nothing left to screw with. I hope this gets fixed soon as I really wanted to enjoy spore I waited so very long to play this game, only to be severely disappointed. Spore definitely did not deserve this.
 >:(

Offline Zhuriel

• Fire Truck Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2008, 10:33:12 pm »
Some part of that "draconian" DRM is still keeping me from playing. I mean, the easiest way to get it running seems to be downloading a cracked copy, which should show EA how epically secuROM failed. (Note: this is the first time I use the term "epic fail")

Offline Danzik

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2008, 10:34:51 pm »
Strange. I'd heard that the Amazon.uk site was getting hammered with 1 star ratings also.
However, they appear to have removed all ratings.
Spore on amazon.co.uk