Author Topic: Not what you expected? are you serious?  (Read 6736 times)

Offline darkwanderer

• Astrosmasher!
  • Step into the dark
    • View Profile
Not what you expected? are you serious?
« on: September 08, 2008, 12:53:39 pm »
first and foremost id like to say that despite releasing a game that has one of the largest scopes in the gaming world, and uses mainly procedural generation, which is ridiculously hard to program, people still have the nerve to say spore isnt as good as they were expecting.

so we push push push for release, posting and whining like mad, and then have the nerve to complain when its not as complex as the original idea?

seriously, grow up.

on a less smackyourbottom note, people you have to remember that if will was to make spore as he concieved originally all in one game, the game would have a development time of 15 years or more due to constantly having to rewrite the code to fit with new technology, as well as the sheer scope of doing that from scratch.

instead we have spore as is, a foundation for what is to come. It already has the barebones of what there is, and already is very deep (despite people wanting full gameplay for every stage straight out) and a few bugs and balancing issues

now imagine spore as is with all the bugs fixed.

now imagine spore with all the bugs fixed and balancing issues fixed.

now imagine spore with all the above and a plant editor.

now imagine spore with all that is above plus an expansion pack, for example a water themed expansion which will DOUBLE the gameplay of every stage as it will be a complete alternative evolution and therefore will have underwater planets and the works

now imagine spore with yet another expansion adding roughly that amount, or even half that.

etc

etc

seriously, this time 2009 you all wont care that you have to wait till 2009 to get the game you want

by 2010 youll all want to take mr wright to bed.

every expansion will add more and more features and things to do in each phase, and that my friends is where youve got to realise

spore is the foundation blocks for the skyscraper to come

its taken a while to build and while it is impressive to look at, its nowhere near what it was meant to be. but the foundations are the hardest part to build, and the rest of the magnificent building will be errected very quickly from there on out.

or i could be wrong and we got ****ed

but i seriously doubt that.

Offline nurizeko

• Battlezone Captain
  • Ske-RWOAWR! >:3
    • View Profile
Re: Not what you expected? are you serious?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 01:02:57 pm »
Opinions are like ass holes, everyone has one.

On that note, no to you telling us off, and no to everything else you said for starting off by telling us off.

Oh, and no matter how much you like spore, a bug/gameplay mechanic flaw is just that, something to be fixed, regardless of how much you just wish Will Wright would usurp the gods.

Offline aligon

• Tron User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2008, 01:05:03 pm »
its taken a while to build and while it is impressive to look at, its nowhere near what it was meant to be. but the foundations are the hardest part to build, and the rest of the magnificent building will be errected very quickly from there on out.

well said!  ;)
Haven't played the game yet, but hopefully I'll have it in my hands in just a couple of hours. I sincerely think that the balance issues will quickly be resolved. I wouldn't be surprised if we had a patch within the next couple of weeks. If Maxis wants Spore to grow large, they need to harness the power of word-of-mouth, and if people are telling each other that the game is crap because space stage is difficult, then they're going to have a problem. I think everything is under control, and that people should be a little more optimistic.

EDIT: (I JUST RECEIVED SPORE...IM SO EXCITED)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 01:23:22 pm by aligon »

As Inevitable as Life Itself. Spread the Joy.

My Sporepedia page:
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Aligon

The Agnoculus:
http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=7619.0

Offline WeAreLegion

• Wolfenstein Wunderkind
    • View Profile
    • Noigel's Art
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2008, 01:08:12 pm »
I agree with parts of the post but in the end the tone is gonna come off as "Bad little kids!" and that is a no-no in public forums if you want a good responce.

Just saying...

Offline darkwanderer

• Astrosmasher!
  • Step into the dark
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2008, 01:13:21 pm »
I agree with parts of the post but in the end the tone is gonna come off as "Bad little kids!" and that is a no-no in public forums if you want a good responce.

Just saying...

Thats true, but seriously, who are we of all people to moan about this, after moaning for so long about how long its taking to release?

its hypocritical.

im not posting this to be everyones best friends, if it pisses everyone off but makes them think twice before judging the game in a harsh way so easily, then ill have done what i wanted  to do

Oh, and no matter how much you like spore, a bug/gameplay mechanic flaw is just that, something to be fixed, regardless of how much you just wish Will Wright would usurp the gods.

yes thats true, but moaning about releasing the game constantly, not you personally, but the forum as a general whole, and then moaning about the game having bugs and flaws is very very ignorant

im not saying we should shut up about the flaws, im saying do the game youve waited for justice and realise that all this needs is a bit of time, and is in no way blameable to maxis, will wright, and probably even EA (yes even them)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 01:17:01 pm by darkwanderer »

Offline Lurker28

• Missile Commander
    • View Profile
    • Ordus inferi - Age of Conan Guild
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2008, 01:17:59 pm »
Well only on this forum do I feel like people dislike spore. Out of my 160 friends on Xfire about 50 bought the game and I have only had 5 or 6 complain how "horrible" the game is. I have been waiting for this game since March of 2005 and I am extremely happy with the final outcome. Yes there are some bugs and kinks that need to be worked out, but overall the game has been a blast (oddly enough I have never encountered a problem with bugs, but I do know there are a few).

Most of my friends and I constantly chat away about our latest experience with our first and second run through of Spore. I am about 35 hours into the game according to my Xfire and still enjoying it very much.

Offline WeAreLegion

• Wolfenstein Wunderkind
    • View Profile
    • Noigel's Art
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2008, 01:19:15 pm »

Just saying...

Thats true, but seriously, who are we of all people to moan about this, after moaning for so long about how long its taking to release?

its hypocritical.

im not posting this to be everyones best friends, if it pisses everyone off but makes them think twice before judging the game in a harsh way so easily, then ill have done what i wanted  to do

I agree with you overall, yes people are complaining in a way they would never DREAM to do directly Will and the team's faces.  Yes many people built up their own hype and have choked on their disappointment.  Yes the game is being overlooked for its technical and artistic merits that have most certainly pushed the video game form years ahead of where it would have naturally gone.

But overall your tone turns one off after the first line. :P  Just giving some constructive criticism as you are asking others to do! ;)

Nothin but love man.

Offline Lippy

• Galaga General
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2008, 01:22:08 pm »
Well only on this forum do I feel like people dislike spore.

Heh.  You should check out Gamefaqs' Spore forum.  Holy crap.  Every other thread is a negative thread, and the rest are about how SecuROM sucks.

Offline darkwanderer

• Astrosmasher!
  • Step into the dark
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2008, 01:23:26 pm »

Just saying...

its hypocritical.

I agree with you overall, yes people are complaining in a way they would never DREAM to do directly Will and the team's faces.  Yes many people built up their own hype and have choked on their disappointment.  Yes the game is being overlooked for its technical and artistic merits that have most certainly pushed the video game form years ahead of where it would have naturally gone.

But overall your tone turns one off after the first line. :P  Just giving some constructive criticism as you are asking others to do! ;)

Nothin but love man.

nawh i know, hence why i havent said anything like SHUTUP YOU NUB IM RIGHT BITCH etc

but im just saying, while i know the tone isnt user friendly, neither is the tone in anyones complaints to maxis/ea/the people who slaved for years to give us this

also dont worry i never ever post like this normally, and dont intend do, this is the only angry telling off school kids tone post i will post, but it needed to be said
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 01:29:33 pm by darkwanderer »

Offline Tr0n

• Dragster Diehard
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2008, 01:40:07 pm »
I dunno.  I have seen the reaction of some and it seems like they thought Spore was supposed to be the cure for cancer or something.  It's just a game.  I've paid 60 bucks for much worse.

I agree that it's a good platform.  I agree that the current ideaology will allow people to pick and choose their expereince in the future.  But I will reiterate, the GDC 2005 demo of Spore was the biggest mistake in WW's gaming career.  It's way too easy to show a concept and people take it as scripture.  It's also too easy to say "this'll be in there" and scrap it to get the game done.  And for the first time in his career, WW experienced over-hype.  So I see why people are complaining.  They bought the GDC demo at face value and bought into the "SimEverything" concept.  They feel slighted by a company that has always delivered.  It's not like Maxis not to deliver.  But then again, they're usually really good about what they promise vs what they deliver.  Spore is such a wild concept that Maxis could never have realistically hit the GDC 2005 goal, with or without evil EA.

So, back to the primary idea.  Spore haters:  would you rather have a fully featured release in two more years and have to wait and overhype even more until then? 

Or would you prefer to recieve a platform in a playable game that doesn't deliver everything but leaves the door open to enhance the game in ways that you care about?

I'll take the latter.  No more overhype because the game's there.  Now they can focus on enhancing the experience.

PS -- Imagine if GDC never happened and Spore got the normal level of coverage for a sim game (a la "none").  We'd all be freakin' blown away right now when we just decided to buy the game on a whim.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 01:42:22 pm by Tr0n »
Hey love crusader, I want to be your space invader
For you I will descend the deepest moon crater
I is more stronger than Darth Vapour
Obey me, I is your new dictator

Offline DarkDragon

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2008, 01:42:20 pm »
I approve of the OP, bow before your god sporelings!
DarkDragon's Minecraft Survival Server (use this as the IP):

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

- The server uses a whitelist, if you're not on the whitelist (can't connect), PM me your minecraft name.

Offline Granite T. Rock

• Intellivision Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Granite's Homepage
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2008, 01:48:05 pm »
It is a really fun game.  I found normal a bit repetive in spots so far... but I also almost got stuck in the creature phase at one point.  Time will how depth I will be able to get.  But I straddle the casual / gamer devide these days due to wanting to spend my time in other persuits so I don't mind some of the simplification.  The creative aspect is awesome.  And I was amazed how truly easy it was to make decent looking objects in seconds.  I wanted to make a quick and dirty UFO and basically stretched a rocket shaped piece to the max and painted it and I though this will do in pinch... I had spent a whole 15 seconds.  I threw on some sensor parts just so that my ship wasn't a single piece.  The editors and sharing are the masterpiece of the whole experience, and work better than I could have ever imagined.
My Spore Profile  ****  My Spore Videos
Wii Friend Code: 7772 0178 1092 3363  Mario Kart Code: 2363-6666-4480 (PM me when you add me)

Offline Quantum Burrito

• K.C. Munchkin Maestro
  • Up, Down, Strange, Charm, Top, Bottom, Burrito
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2008, 02:00:05 pm »
I don't think people who complain about Spore should grow up. Quite the opposite. I think they should regress back to 11.

Why? Well, my 11-year-old brother just got a couple of hours of play on my computer, after having gotten various previews courtesy a friend of his who's brother is in EA. No, really. He played betas of some of the stages and everything.

His reaction on seeing the finished product, playing from the panspermia cutscene to destroying two tribes (he had to go to bed)?

Wow, this is awesome.
I mean, I expected spore to be good, but this is amazing!
I've wanted a game like this for ages!

On that last point, I concur, and I reckon all you 'haters' do too. You're just so flooded by the anger at certain things (no water stage, etc.) you just don't realise how breathtakingly awesome The Will's handiwork is. Take a deep breath, relax, and start a new game.

P.S. I totally realise that the 'handiwork' was actually that of about a hundred people or so, but it's too aesthetically pleasing a phrase to give up. So not disrespect to the rest of the spore team, you're all great people. Yes, even the coffee boy. Where would games development be without him?
Quote from: The Will
In a movie, one can always pull back and condemn the character or the artist ... But in playing a game ... we can be encouraged to examine our own values by seeing how we behave within virtual space.
tl;dr. But with all those shiny symbols and numbers it's probably awsome.

Offline SporeForSure

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2008, 02:18:21 pm »
Paying customers has the right to complain. Period. (Unsubstantiated complains on the other hand...)

I purchased the game because i thought it was going to be a cool sandbox game and ended up with "Red Alert in space" with enemies constantly attacking me, when all i want to do is to play around with the universe. That is THE one negative thing in Spore for me.

And you say i should not complain that the game isnt what i expected, even it it was ADVERTISED like it that on various presentations and even in the TV commercial ("How do you want to build the universe")?

Are YOU serious?

”It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring” (Dr. Carl Sagan)

Offline DarkDragon

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2008, 02:20:59 pm »
In the sims you still had to have a job and so on, if you wanted to build amazing houses you'd have to work a lot in-game or you could cheat... see the metaphor? If you want sandbox, cheats are for it <_<
DarkDragon's Minecraft Survival Server (use this as the IP):

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

- The server uses a whitelist, if you're not on the whitelist (can't connect), PM me your minecraft name.