Author Topic: Spore Tips and Tricks  (Read 100040 times)

Offline immortius

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
Re: Spore Tips and Tricks
« Reply #75 on: September 16, 2008, 07:14:08 am »
You can generate an income by building factories too, of course.

Offline Crowster

• Defender Devotee
  • It's Crow-Time, Baby!
    • View Profile
    • The Adventures of Crow-Man
« Reply #76 on: September 16, 2008, 07:24:04 am »
Do the factories even PRODUCE sporebucks if you don't have a spice geyser captured? I was under the impression that you needed at least one geyser for the factories to do anything.

Offline immortius

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 16, 2008, 07:33:03 am »
I just tested it, they do. Half the time I end up with no spice geysers anyhow because once things get rolling I don't attend to their defence or capture anyhow.

Offline Yannick

• Tetris Tumbler
  • The end is nigh
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 16, 2008, 10:51:41 am »
Noone will capture you spice geysers unless their face is red. Even orange ones need to be angered before stealing your geysers, unless your geyser is right next to their city.

"It's only your virginity, loosen up!"

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
  • Do not feed the Giant Gnawling.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 16, 2008, 11:28:02 am »
I would give a general tip when it comes to cell phase. Keep parts you want to visuals. You will not be able to get the later. There are better parts however later on so do not worry if you happen to lose on of them. The only exception is that Herbivores and Carnivores will not be able to get parts that switch there roles. So you might want to keep one of those other mouths if you want omnivore or even switch roles totally.
Check out my Creatures.
The thirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons
Star Citizen Ref code: STAR-JLJP-LRTC
When you singing up use code and get 5000 credits for free ;)

Offline Yannick

• Tetris Tumbler
  • The end is nigh
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 16, 2008, 12:10:32 pm »
If you are going for the time Achievements don't save and come back later...
I just did the Civ in ~20 minutes from a game saved at the beginning of Civ and didn't get the 1 hour achievement.
Yeah, you can never save somewhere, most timed achievements are unattainable.

"It's only your virginity, loosen up!"

Offline Doomsday

• Track and Field Jock
  • And, boom goes the dynamite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 16, 2008, 12:49:21 pm »
I have a Civ Tip or two.

You're City cannot be bought by an Economic Empire. Their trade route does nothing and means nothing (as long as you're citizens are happy I think). I traded with the Green City for almost an entire Civ game, to the point where they were Green-Super-Happy-Fun-Love-Love-Face, and my city never got the economic take over bar over the top of it. It could just be an oversight/glitch though. But it does provide you with free money and a lot of it (over time).

You can win by making Allies and avoid unnecessary bloodshed. In the same game as mentioned above, I had allied with the Blue Religious Empire (I was also religious), and we had worked together to take out our enemies. They then went down to Yellow Smiley Face because my empire was larger than theirs (by one city). I had so much excess Spice at this point that I went to the contact screen and offered them 4000 spice 5 or 6 times in a row. I got their "You're Generous Gifts" stat to something like +107. Which gave me enough good standing with them to make my their ally (Green-Super-Happy-Fun-Love-Love-Face). After maintaining this for something like 3 or 4 minutes. The messaged me asking to join my empire, followed a moment later by the Green City. I had won by being friendly.

In Tip Form:

- Economic Cities can't capture you're main city, but provide a nice cash bonus.

- Giving Gifts multiple times seems to stack. If you have excess Spice, donating it to a Blue-Face empire to get them to Green or a Red-Face Empire to get them to Yellow pretty much means you can take your time picking, choosing, and systematically dismantling targets you consider a threat (while gaining nice bonuses to the "You fought our Enemy!" traits of other races).

- You can win by making others your ally rather than capturing/converting/buying Cities. This works extremely well if you make a ton of Spice and use it to pay off a stronger civilization to attack you're enemies for you.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 12:50:58 pm by OpDDay2001 »
"Never gonna give you up. Never gonna let you down. Never gonna run around and hurt you." - Elvis Presley

Offline Pinstar

• Ultima Lord
  • Your friendly neighborhood Teralyte
    • View Profile
    • The Legacy Challenge
« Reply #82 on: September 16, 2008, 02:10:11 pm »
If you finish up cell stage as a carnivore, and thus will only have access to carnivore mouths, you can actually make your creature an omnivore by keeping the filter feeder mouth somewhere on the creature.

You can keep this filter feeder mouth on the creature indefinitely and is a good supplement to the predator's normal head(s).

If you find yourself low on food and health, you can easily munch on some fruit if you don't have the stamina to attack and kill something.

The benefit continues in tribe, as you have access to picking fruit for harvesting as a food source, among others.
Creator of the Legacy Challenge

Visit my spore page!
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Pinstar
Ratings and comments on all my creatures are always welcome!

Visit my Minicity
http://pinstar.myminicity.com

Offline Captain Indigo

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 16, 2008, 02:21:07 pm »
Being slaughtered in Space? Just ignore it. You can't lose your homeplanet (if all the cities are destroyed, a new one is created), so you can just go off and do missions to get enough money to buy the weapons and techs required to defend yourself.

^^Click^^

Offline immortius

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 16, 2008, 04:44:18 pm »
If you are going for the time Achievements don't save and come back later...
I just did the Civ in ~20 minutes from a game saved at the beginning of Civ and didn't get the 1 hour achievement.

Eh, I've done Civ in a 20 minute sitting before. As far as I can tell the Rolling Thunder achievement doesn't work.

Offline Moogie

• Missile Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 16, 2008, 07:51:04 pm »
^ They can also be in Katakana, and I've seen several Japanese-named creatures in my own games.

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 16, 2008, 08:17:37 pm »
Here is a small tip, be careful not to use the laser when trying to beam up an artifact (I accidentially had it on instead of the tractor beam) because you can actually desroy an artifact that way.

As a side note, doing terraforming (at least the land raising,lowering, levelling ones AFAIK) won't destroy artifacts, although it does tend to bunch them all up if you have alot in an area. All the easier for beaming them back up anyway.

Offline SporeForSure

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 16, 2008, 08:45:57 pm »
^ They can also be in Katakana, and I've seen several Japanese-named creatures in my own games.

I have also seen several written in Kanji/Chinese letters.
It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring (Dr. Carl Sagan)

Offline DylanTK

• Video Pinball Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 17, 2008, 02:50:25 am »
Creature names seem to use the expanded character set, such as:
, , , , , ȁ, ā, ǎ, ă, , , , , , ẽ, ȅ, ē, ě, ĕ, , , , , ĩ, ȉ, ī, ǐ, ĭ, , , , , , ȍ, ō, ǒ, ŏ, ő, , , , , ũ, ȕ, ū, ǔ, ŭ, ű, ů, , ỳ, , ŷ, ỹ, ȳ, ẙ, ,

Indeed they do... I use them regularly as all my creatures' names are in French. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the U.S. version of the game could do that, since most of them don't.

Anyway, here's a little trick that I use in Space. Whenever a new race pops up with a threatening message, fly into their solar system and make contact.. Introduce yourself nicely, and offer to do a mission. This usually calms down their fires fast.

For the Creature stage.. When you find an epic nom-noming on some unfortunate creatures, circle around him to see if you can find the area he hangs out in.. This area is usually littered with skeletons, so go loot those bones while he's distracted.  ;D

In the Cell stage, when you have a predator [or several] that's hot on your tail and won't give up, let out a mating call and go find your new buddy. You don't actually have to make any changes. Just cancel the editor, and you'll be reborn anyway, with no baddies in the immediate vicinity. It's obviously set up that way so you don't get eaten the moment you hatch, but it's a great thing to exploit when necessary.

Offline Necrox

• Venture Conqueror
  • Underwater Civs For President!
    • View Profile
    • Lupus Photo
« Reply #89 on: September 17, 2008, 03:34:47 am »
Cyrillic letters are also in so I have a feeling they pretty much have most if not all languages available.