Author Topic: Spore Tips and Tricks  (Read 109271 times)

Offline Pinstar

• Ultima Lord
  • Your friendly neighborhood Teralyte
    • View Profile
    • The Legacy Challenge
Re: Spore Tips and Tricks
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2008, 03:48:26 pm »
To buy yourself some time in Tribe, give gifts to any tribe with an orange or red face with you.
You ONLY need to send the chief and the "gift" doesn't seem to use up any of your food. This will buy you time to either build up your music crew, or organize your war party.

Just know that giving a gift will turn the tribe to a yellow face, but they may, over time, revert back to an orange face if they are not befriended or killed.

In Civ, the BEST defense against a religious civ is the megabomb (earned from being Predator in creature). Since all religious units lump together nicely when trying to convert a city, often a single bomb will wipe out an entire attacking force. The static bomb (omnivore reward from cell) will work as well, but only delay the attackers, rather than kill them.

In Cell, putting a pair of spikes on the rear aft of the cell in a wide arc, shrinking its bottom segment to the smallest possible and enlarging the spikes to as big as possible will basically make you immune to rear facing attacks. Even huge creatures will just knock you forward with no damage when they bite. I was able to beat cell mode on hard with no deaths using this technique.

In tribe, harvesting and eating eggs produced by domesticated animals bumps your bar towards the "peaceful" rank more than you think. Keep this fact in mind if you are trying to engineer which history rank you fall into at the end of tribe.

In creature, If you are trying to socialize a creature with an orange face, you have to find an individual alone and social them. Doing so will raise it to a yellow face, allowing you to approach the nest and continue socializing. To socialize a redface creature, march strait into their nest, wait for all of them to swarm around you and fire off Siren Song. Then social them immediately and hope you succeed. Do not try to socialize red face creatures if you do not have siren song.

In general. Add people to your buddies list who comment on your creatures, and do likewise for them. It'll help keep our games populated with quality Gamingsteve content.
Creator of the Legacy Challenge

Visit my spore page!
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Pinstar
Ratings and comments on all my creatures are always welcome!

Visit my Minicity
http://pinstar.myminicity.com

Offline Rusted

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2008, 03:51:33 pm »
Could OP maybe turn this into a list in hopes it gets stickied? As of five minutes ago 3 out of the top ten posts contained questions answered in this thread.

@Necrox:  I just fired off my first planet buster (over 100+ hours in a huge empire, what can I say I'm cheap and lazy) I did actually keep 3 of my allies, everyone else went nutso, but thought I'd let you know you can get away with them, but you got to kiss some serious butt.  Then again it could just be that I'm at the point with my Borgat's that I could eat their empires without much thought.
Terraforming. 
Turning dirt, forming.
Turning dirt; forming.
Terraforming.

Rusted -Sporepedia Name and Link
PM if you add me, I'll return the favor.

Offline Necrox

• Venture Conqueror
  • Underwater Civs For President!
    • View Profile
    • Lupus Photo
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2008, 03:31:22 am »
@Necrox:  I just fired off my first planet buster (over 100+ hours in a huge empire, what can I say I'm cheap and lazy) I did actually keep 3 of my allies, everyone else went nutso, but thought I'd let you know you can get away with them, but you got to kiss some serious butt.  Then again it could just be that I'm at the point with my Borgat's that I could eat their empires without much thought.

I know :) I actually wrote a post about that somewhere else ;) All my normal allies (economists the bunch of them) didn't mind me blowing it up, but this ecology freak race I'd never met did mind. A lot. The point remains: That you can get a whole lot of trouble with some empires you've not even met, without realising you ever did anything wrong.

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2008, 06:39:55 am »
If someone will make a good "Tips and Tricks" thread and keep it updated, I'll sticky it. The OP here can do it or if someone else wants to do it, that's fine. Make it in a nice easy to read list form.

Offline Pardan

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2008, 10:53:09 pm »
I found out a few things.

In Civ stage. As soon as you got your first vehicle, grab all the spice geysers you can. This will make sure you get a nice flow of income early on. When you are able to take a city that is economic, use that as your main base of operations and just trade with the other civs. If they turn you down. Flatter them with words and give them a gift. They will come around.

You could go the combat route. I never done that, but to me it seem to be to costly in terms of spending cash to get new combat vehicles into the game. 2 tradevehicles per cities is enough. Once you take over a city, get the geyers they had as soon as you can.

In space.
Finding planets with the rare spice can be tricky, but doable. One thing I noticed is that if you enter a trade relation with a system that pay high for your spice, they will drop their prices. For example.

I found a planet close by with pink spice. I colonized it, grabbed some spice and did some shopping around. Another race wanted the spice and paid around 35k for it. I sold a bunch to them, but later I started to set up a traderoute with them. Only to find that next time I got to them to sell my rare spice they paid around 4k for it.

I am not 100% sure the traderoute is the reason for this, could be they themself expanded enough to get a system with the rare spice, but since you can sell spice to your own colonies I am not sure that is the reason.
Sporepedia user.

http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=usr-Thoram

<embed width="384" height="206" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" src="http://www.spore.com/flash/csa_widget.swf?userid=2263024371&username=Thoram&host=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.spore.com%2Fview%2Fuser-thumbnail" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" scale="showall" name="latest-creatures" /></emb

Offline spiritofcat

• Fishing Derby Champion
  • Ta-da!
    • View Profile
    • My Sporepedia Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2008, 11:04:44 pm »
In space.
Finding planets with the rare spice can be tricky, but doable. One thing I noticed is that if you enter a trade relation with a system that pay high for your spice, they will drop their prices. For example.

I found a planet close by with pink spice. I colonized it, grabbed some spice and did some shopping around. Another race wanted the spice and paid around 35k for it. I sold a bunch to them, but later I started to set up a traderoute with them. Only to find that next time I got to them to sell my rare spice they paid around 4k for it.

I am not 100% sure the traderoute is the reason for this, could be they themself expanded enough to get a system with the rare spice, but since you can sell spice to your own colonies I am not sure that is the reason.
I've found that spice prices tend to fluctuate on their own, and the forces of supply and demand seem to be modeled to some extent.
If you find a planet that will buy a certain spice for a high price, and then sell a lot of it to them, they'll not pay such a high price in future because you've already filled their need.

Offline spiritofcat

• Fishing Derby Champion
  • Ta-da!
    • View Profile
    • My Sporepedia Profile
Advanced Painting Tricks
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2008, 11:09:28 pm »
There's a new video on the spore site that goes through a bunch of advanced painting tricks.
It covers two features:
Eyedropper and multi-select.

Eyedropper is accessed by holding ALT. It lets you pick up colours and textures from parts of your model and use them on other parts.
It can be modified by the 3,4,5 keys.
3 makes it take colours only, 4 makes it take textures only, 5 makes it take both.

Holding SHIFT will let you paint a whole block rather than having to paint its individual sections.

Holding CTRL will let you paint all of a certain type of object.
It can be modified with the 1 and 2 keys.
1 makes it paint ALL of the type of object you're pointing at, such as all windows.
2 makes it paint only the same style of object, such as all arched windows, but not square windows.

This is going to make it so much easier to paint things the way I want them!

Offline Alvin Flummox

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
Re: Advanced Painting Tricks
« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2008, 12:12:16 am »
Lol this is why you read the manual :P Good job for telling everyone about the video though. I expect quite a lot of people didnt know this :)
My Sporepedia. Please take a look and comment :)
Also, feel free to look at My thread

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2008, 12:24:19 am »
Lol this is why you read the manual :P Good job for telling everyone about the video though. I expect quite a lot of people didnt know this :)

I don't think it was in the manual.

Thanks for the info though Spiritofcat.

Offline spiritofcat

• Fishing Derby Champion
  • Ta-da!
    • View Profile
    • My Sporepedia Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2008, 01:19:58 am »

I don't think it was in the manual.

Thanks for the info though Spiritofcat.
It is in the manual, page 31, but not many people bother to read the manual, especially when so much of the functionality is intuitive or explained clearly in the game.

Offline Alvin Flummox

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2008, 04:29:47 am »
Yeh I always just have a flick through it when the game is installing :)
My Sporepedia. Please take a look and comment :)
Also, feel free to look at My thread

Offline Beatnuki

• Scramble Skipper
  • Wilco Hex, reporting for duty!
    • View Profile
    • Beatnuki's Chunk of Funk (which seemed like a good idea at the time)
« Reply #41 on: September 11, 2008, 04:41:35 am »
This is definitely handy.  :D

I read the manual, but in a sort of Johnny 5 flicking-through manner. It's weird, as soon as I get to diagrams or control explanations I squint a bit and then move on without taking it in. silly me.
If you peruse my things, you get POINTS!
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Beatnuki

Only trouble is, they're Whose Line Is It Anyway points, which are infamously not worth anything.

Offline Moogie

• Missile Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 11, 2008, 04:48:35 am »
It's handy for us predownloaders who didn't get a manual. :D

Offline Necrox

• Venture Conqueror
  • Underwater Civs For President!
    • View Profile
    • Lupus Photo
« Reply #43 on: September 11, 2008, 05:31:53 am »
You can download the manual in PDF from EADM mate.

Offline Yannick

• Tetris Tumbler
  • The end is nigh
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 11, 2008, 07:35:02 am »
If you don't have megabombs, or don't have the budget, but you have picked up some fancy land modelling tools like Crystal Seas or Terra Seas, use it on your enemies. It is an instakill.

"It's only your virginity, loosen up!"