Author Topic: Will Wright's reaction to 'critical' reviews of Spore  (Read 5953 times)

Offline RmB303

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
    • semihere
Will Wright's reaction to 'critical' reviews of Spore
« on: September 07, 2008, 05:25:22 pm »
http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2008/09/07/will-wright-reacts-to-crtical-spore-reviews/

I can't really comment as I've got the game, but my current computer can't play it!
Still saving for a new computer. Damned PPC Macs ;-)
(Bought it first, as I wanted the Galactic edition, and figured that it might sell out)

Offline Therlun

• Fire Truck Driver
  • Hope and Hate
    • View Profile
Re: Will Wright's reaction to 'critical' reviews of Spore
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2008, 05:57:10 pm »
Dumbed down or not, everyone who expected "deep" stages and endless possibilities was always way off.
A big part of the negative feedback (and I dont see the 8s and 9s as negative; I mean the negative comments popping up everywhere) probably stem from the overdone hype, and the simple delusion of people who expected Spore to be everything they ever imagined, instead of a neat tool for creation and sharing.

I'd like to know what he would say about the statement that Spore fails (terribly) as a sandbox. Which I think it does because, ironically, it tries too hard to be a game with its unlocking, stat juggling of creature- and outfit parts and mission-grind stuff.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2008, 05:59:55 pm by Therlun »
Change is being.

Offline AhavoRaboTaco

• Missile Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2008, 06:08:45 pm »
The sandbox aspect of the game , was one of the things that drew me the most.

Paying for tools to do so seems is discouraging.

Offline Sub

• Time Pilot Trekker
  • End is tough.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2008, 06:35:32 pm »
I'm fine with some of the earlier stages not being as deep as they can be, but there are numerous things they could and should have done to improve the space stage, such as the annoying and constant missions for your cities (mainly grox attacking) forcing you to babysit them.

Offline Pietoro

• Rigel Rescuer
    • View Profile
    • My Sporepedia
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2008, 05:12:08 am »

Are there not cheat codes for pretty much everything you could need, though?
"Ooh rabba la dee teeb, ooh babba labba squeeb!"

Offline morphian

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2008, 05:17:05 am »

If you have to cheat to have fun/enjoy it, the game is broken :\
See my evi...erm, not evil, honest..creations at:
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Hephaestus

Offline skewedjester

• Video Pinball Wizard
  • The Book of Jester holds the truth...usually.
    • View Profile
    • My Sporepedia Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2008, 05:26:55 am »

You have to be positive. Just think of "cheating" as "unlocking the sandbox potential"!

Offline nurizeko

• Battlezone Captain
  • Ske-RWOAWR! >:3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2008, 05:51:37 am »

Totally agreed, I expected a sandbox, not a game of customizable snakes and ladders.

Space stage is the worst at the moment, but I think Maxis could have tried a little harder, my guess is once they had spore at a playable stage they got a bit lazy and totally forgot that most people would just buy a real game if they wanted objectives and stuff. Doesn't help that the early game play is too simplistic and space stage game play is just horrendous. if they wanted to add a strategy to it, they should have actually bothered to look at some space strategy games and make a real attempt.

As I said before here or elsewhere, I just don't like this middle ground.

Offline CosmicD

• Omega Racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2008, 07:13:22 am »
spoilers ahead:
hmm, I have no problem having to pay for tools like interstellar drive and increased energy for my ufa. After all it helps immersing myself in the fact that i'm an empire with technology and trade has to be done in obtaining stuff in the galaxy, it feels very "star treky".

It's the discovery of grapefruit sea and pink sky that helps in that aspect also. And then there's the terraforming tools that you find, I'm always very amuzed to start laying down shapes of terraforming oceans or mountains on planets

and then, if you abduct a tribe species and drop them on another planet, they actually start their own campfire there.. how romantic :P

Offline Tr0n

• Dragster Diehard
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2008, 07:56:28 am »
I don't know what people expected the space stage to be like.  No one ever said it was going to be Master of Orion or Star Control.  It's different.  I love the idea.  I love the stage itself.  But I agree that it's clunky.

Of all the stages, space needs the most done to it because there is so much that can be done with it.  I believe they will eventually turn the space stage into a full blown 4X type of game, but not in the base package.  

Right now, though, without adding features, I'd love to see the following:
-  Adequate colony self-defense.  Give colonies the ability to fight off attackers without your intervention. (Maybe it's already like that but I haven't seen it yet.

-  More than one fleet.  Even if one can only allocate his current small fleet to various areas, that would help.

-  A diplomacy screen!!!  I want to know who is tight with whom and how close I am to having war declared on me.  This would solve darn near every problem I have with the space game without adding features.  Nothing ticks me off more than losing track of some militaristic empire for 30 minutes and having them bury me because I neglected to pay them off in time.

PS -- I played a species from Cell-Space a second time and had a lot more fun.  I wasn't being pressured by the need to get through the game once.  That made the other 4 stages much better.
Hey love crusader, I want to be your space invader
For you I will descend the deepest moon crater
I is more stronger than Darth Vapour
Obey me, I is your new dictator

Offline morphian

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2008, 08:07:56 am »
I honestly would and do like the Space stage apart from the obvious:

Constant, unending raids by pirates!

and

Overly hositile aliens that my hugely fortified city's can't seem to hold off

But terraforming is actually fun - I enjoyed taking an ice world, slowly adding atmosphere and heat, and watching the permaforst giving way to land. I enjoyed seeding the plants and animals to maintain this state of affairs. Hell, I even sortof liked the trading to get the cash and good tools (Although it seems odd to me my colonies don't just give me spore bucks, nor do trade-routes --- what are they for, anyway? Tradroutes? Aside from good relations).

But the attacks and having to return to my worlds to stop eco-collapse, or to 'stop' an alien attack (even though my world had fully turreted itself and killed the attackers very quickly without my help) is too grinding - I enjoy the combat every so often, but its not good constantly any time you try and expand beyond 3 star systems.
See my evi...erm, not evil, honest..creations at:
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Hephaestus

Offline DarkDragon

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2008, 08:10:30 am »
I tried to make a complete ice world, as in just frozen water, everything fine until I zoom out and zoom in again... turns out the game adds some land above the water level when all land is completely submerged  >:(
DarkDragon's Minecraft Survival Server (use this as the IP):

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

- The server uses a whitelist, if you're not on the whitelist (can't connect), PM me your minecraft name.

Offline Shadowgandor

• Scramble Skipper
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2008, 08:30:08 am »

My mother and sister always, yes, ALWAYS used cheats in The Sims. They didn't like controlling the sims, just building and decorating the house. And houses they were 0.o
I personally don't mind using cheats in sandbox games, as long as it feels like you're still playing the game :)

You have to be positive. Just think of "cheating" as "unlocking the sandbox potential"!

Offline Lippy

• Galaga General
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2008, 08:36:57 am »
I totally agree with Will's assessment.  I mean, when one magazine hates the beginning stage(s) and another magazine hates the ending stage(s) and also gives it the same score as the first, that's pretty much the game they hoped to make.

But really, you had to follow this game closely, and pay attention to what they were saying when they said this game was more of a toy, and that each stage was a light version of a specific genre.  They were saying that since the beginning.  People just didn't listen, or didn't catch that part when they were following the game, hyping it up in their own mind.  It's not their fault really.  Most of the previews were really excited about the game, so they helped build up hype, without mentioning that it was gameplay light. 

Still, if you remember the Sims when it first came out, it was EMPTY and buggy.  Pretty much only 1 or 2 of each piece of furniture, and a handful of textures.  Not that many jobs.  Not that many interactions.  And then the expansions came, and made the game deeper and wider with each one.  But even with it being empty at the beginning, it still became THE biggest game of all time.  I saw Spore's potential for expansions back in 2005.  And I'm sure that was one of the main thing on both Maxis' and EA's mind.  It too well see its share of expansions.  I know they've been downplaying the whole expansion thing.  Saying maybe one or two expansions.  But I'm sure that once the public gets a taste of just a few expansions, they're going to be like they were with the Sims, and thirst for more. 

Offline amigang

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
    • Vincent Perkins
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2008, 09:02:38 am »
I think a few people are forgetting that kids are going to playing this game, I know I would of loved this game when I was say aged 8, back then I had Theme Park but I could only really play it in sandbox mode, where you don't have to worry about ordering stock, staff wages, share holder price or any of that just have fun building the park. This is what spore has set out to do, and very slowly gets harder and more complex with each stage, I'm pretty sure I would of lost the plot for the space stage, but still would of been able to enjoy a vast amount of the game. This is what maxis has cleverly done, made at least one stage playable by all users, 100% should be able to play the cell stage, 90% should get the creature stage, 80% should be fine with the Tribe and City stage, and 70% of users should have fun in the space stage.

And lets not forget this is only the beginning of Spore I can already see loads of room for expansions packs for each stage to advance the ability and we might even see changes in patches.  But at the end of the day I'm sill enjoying so for me that all that matters! :P