Author Topic: Your galactic coordinates - Now with map  (Read 32333 times)

Offline GrapeFruit

• Gorf Goon
  • I'm killing my way to truth!
    • View Profile
Your galactic coordinates - Now with map
« on: September 07, 2008, 11:14:58 am »
There's a small gimmick in Space phase I just discovered. Right above your progress bar there is another thin bar with a spaceship-icon as a slider. If you hover your mouse above that icon it indicates the polar coordinates of you position relativ to the galactic center (angle and distance to center).

My homeplanet: 135.30°, 8'047 pc

damn, more than 8000 pasec is brutal. My maximum jumplenght right now is 4 pc (I think)

btw: I'm wondering if they use the real life definition of 1 pc (ca. 3*10^16 m) or if they use the distance of your homeplanet to your homestar as the basis...
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 01:38:52 pm by GrapeFruit »

Quote from: Liquos
I can't wait that long! I'm gonna explode from patience!

Quote from: Parkaboy
"Around the world you may notice that other creatures evolve while others don't"
That's because some of them are christians.

Offline SporeForSure

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
Re: Your galactic coordinates
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2008, 12:43:49 pm »
There's a small gimmick in Space phase I just discovered. Right above your progress bar there is another thin bar with a spaceship-icon as a slider. If you hover your mouse above that icon it indicates the polar coordinates of you position relativ to the galactic center (angle and distance to center).

My homeplanet: 135.30°, 8'047 pc

damn, more than 8000 pasec is brutal. My maximum jumplenght right now is 4 pc (I think)

btw: I'm wondering if they use the real life definition of 1 pc (ca. 3*10^16 m) or if they use the distance of your homeplanet to your homestar as the basis...

Since they measure it in degrees, parsec would be the correct measurement. The other unit is called AU (Astronomical Units) which is not commonly used for galactic measurement.

Anyway, my pos (for my main) is: 65.44", Distance: 8.79.64 parsec. A bit out on the spiral arm yes.
”It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring” (Dr. Carl Sagan)

Offline GrapeFruit

• Gorf Goon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2008, 05:26:25 pm »
Since they measure it in degrees, parsec would be the correct measurement. The other unit is called AU (Astronomical Units) which is not commonly used for galactic measurement.
You seem to misunderstand me. There is no doubt the measurement in spore is parsec (and has nothing to do with the measurement of angle they give you for your coordinates), but the question is if they use the real AU as the basis for the definition of 1 pc or the a 1 AU = distance between homeplanet in spore and homestar in spore.
Thinking about this again, it doesn't seem reasonable to do so, because then 1 pc would be different in every game you play (though it would be possible)

"Around the world you may notice that other creatures evolve while others don't"

Offline SporeForSure

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2008, 06:19:07 pm »
if they use the real AU as the basis for the definition of 1 pc or the a 1 AU = distance between homeplanet in spore and homestar in spore.

The measurement is the measuement we know. There is no need to redefine something just because you start in a different starsystem with different measurements from the sun to your planet. Its like when you watch a scifi roll and all aliens speak perfect english.
”It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring” (Dr. Carl Sagan)

Offline Prathik

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2008, 06:30:24 pm »
So does that mean we can find Earth without trying to scan every single star?

Offline GrapeFruit

• Gorf Goon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2008, 06:43:05 pm »
if they use the real AU as the basis for the definition of 1 pc or the a 1 AU = distance between homeplanet in spore and homestar in spore.

The measurement is the measuement we know. There is no need to redefine something just because you start in a different starsystem with different measurements from the sun to your planet. Its like when you watch a scifi roll and all aliens speak perfect english.

I know it's not needed, what's wrong with you?!
But it's possible nonetheless; and that had me wondering in the first place, but I came to the conclusion that it's highly unlikely.

So does that mean we can find Earth without trying to scan every single star?
probably...

Offline Sigma

• Lunar Lander Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2008, 11:02:58 am »
Crap, I'm only 6736 PC :P

I want to play on a planet at the edge of the galaxy, like 9500 PC or something. :P

Offline nurizeko

• Battlezone Captain
  • Ske-RWOAWR! >:3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2008, 11:47:12 am »
I'm pretty far out but thats my UFO, nae my homeworld. I've been to the center and now I am working my way to the edge.

Wish it was realisticly possible to wipe out the Grox, I don't like em very much, I put an uber colony (cheers staff of life!) right next to the galactic center so you can imagine the nightmare of trying to get out with Grox constantly being vewey vewy gwumpy wiff yoo. :P

12,020.02 p thingers from galactic center.

Offline The_Kev

• Joust Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Fear Productions
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2008, 11:52:35 am »
Cool!

Does anybody knows the coordinates of Earth in our milkyway? ;D
"When my strength is your weakness, I'll become fearless." - Fear

Proud owner of:

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2008, 11:54:06 am »
I do know that we are around the middle band. I'll try searching about it.

Edit: found the facts about it http://imagine.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/ask_astro/answers/030827a.html and a site with a picture: http://www.enchantedlearning.com/subjects/astronomy/solarsystem/where.shtml

According to this: http://www.onlineconversion.com/length_all.htm Earth is about 8,578.96 parsecs (about 28,000 light years) from the galactic center.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 12:06:10 pm by smjjames »

Offline Ranalli

• Boot Hill Bandit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2008, 12:07:14 pm »
to wikipedia! btw, do you mean you can't wipe out the Grox at all, or would it just be so tedious and pointless you aren't gonna try?
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2008, 12:08:50 pm »
I already did a google search, but Wikipedia might have something interesting.

Offline DarkDragon

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2008, 12:25:52 pm »
My homeworld: 318,71º 5.623,00(pc) :D
DarkDragon's Minecraft Survival Server (use this as the IP):

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

- The server uses a whitelist, if you're not on the whitelist (can't connect), PM me your minecraft name.

Offline nurizeko

• Battlezone Captain
  • Ske-RWOAWR! >:3
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2008, 12:59:44 pm »
to wikipedia! btw, do you mean you can't wipe out the Grox at all, or would it just be so tedious and pointless you aren't gonna try?

Tedious and pointless, grox are just too vastly spread out, they probably own more systems then all the other sentient races combined, and without a planetbuster its even more of a chore to kill em off.

I found Earth, but I didn't use Galactic coordinates, I looked in the "I found Earth" thread and looked at the screenie of the galaxy, found it looking on my second spiral arm.  :)

Offline GrapeFruit

• Gorf Goon
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2008, 01:32:01 pm »
for your convenience: the Spore Galaxymap
(original size: 2430 x 2269)
Helping you finding stuff easier.

a .png version with a bit better quality is available (it's over 5Mb, that's why I had to go with the crappy .jpg)

next step: draw a useful net of wormholes

btw: I didn't want to mess up the image too bad, that's why I left those radio message icons in there. They were actually pretty helpful figuring out the correct dimension conversion.

Edit: Crap, It got resized...taking care of that
Edit2: Ok, fixed.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 01:37:49 pm by GrapeFruit »