Author Topic: What Happened?  (Read 5548 times)

Offline dannyboy123

• Pong Paddle
    • View Profile
What Happened?
« on: September 07, 2008, 09:48:07 am »
Now first off, I am not a 'troll'. I think I should have the right to post my opinion whether you agree with it or not, I am not posting this to wind anyone up or get a reaction, this is just how I feel.

Anyway, I picked the game up Friday (UK release date) and to my disappointment my fears of what the game had turned into over the past year of development, were true.

I was extremely excited over the prospect of Spore the day I saw this video;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nejN-umj824&feature=related

It's the presentation from E3 2006.

Here you can see a much 'grittier' realistic Spore. Blood sprays when an animal is bit, and the creature even strikes the opposing creature with his tail. The game is released and what do we get? 'Pokemon-like attack skills'; predetermined animations were the creature just lunches at the opposing one which results in some 'points' being deducted from health. No blood, no disfigurement, the creature doesn't even have to connect with the other to cause damage. The visuals are more pleasing in the 2006 version, darker more life like colours, not the goggle eyed, brightly coloured almost 'cute' creatures that you'd expect to see on a Nintendo game that we're left with in the release version.

If you skip to 6:50 on the video, you can actually see the creature clasp its jaws around the dead animal and attempt to drag it away. What do we get on release day? Your creature 'magically' produces neatly stacked steaks upon a silver platter.

It's a joke.

Offline Ultramarine

• Bungeling Bay Raider
  • Whatever.
    • View Profile
Re: What Happened?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2008, 09:56:18 am »
Now I haven't played the game, and I'd like to, but from what I've been hearing it's a slight disappointment. Yes some things can be improved upon, but that will take time.

Other than that I really can't say much else.
Kid: Oh wow I'm being deflowered by a grown woman!
Mother: By the way I'm your mother
Kid: OH GOD NO

EDIT: That's where it becomes rape if you were wondering.

ヽ(`∇)人(∇`)人(`∇)ノ   (゚д゚; )

Offline Ranalli

• Boot Hill Bandit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2008, 09:57:00 am »
thats GDC 2005
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination

Offline Petike

• Stargate Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2008, 09:59:08 am »
2005! Not 2006! How is it possible that these trolls always claim to be huge fans, but they can't even remember, what year Spore was announced in?

BTW, from the "realistic" video:

From current Spore:

Quote from: MasterChiToes in "Spore was dumbed down"
Maybe the Sporons are the ones that got dumbed down?  ;D

Offline dannyboy123

• Pong Paddle
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2008, 10:04:28 am »
2005! Not 2006! How is it possible that these trolls always claim to be huge fans, but they can't even remember, what year Spore was announced in?

I never claimed to be a 'huge fan' of Spore, I merely claimed I was excited. 2005/2006, does it REALLY matter?

Rather than post screenshots of graphical features that were clearly going to be improved 3 years on, why not explain to me how the game mechanics haven't been dumbed down by the examples I gave?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2008, 10:45:00 am by LadyM »

Offline Interitus

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • You just blipped on my radar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2008, 10:04:39 am »
Yes some things can be improved upon, but that will take time.

They aren't going to improve on that. They choose this style to reach younger female audiences who know them from the sims.  They didn't remove violence and blood only to put it back in, they removed it because they wanted to get the largest audience they could.

And Petike that was WAY out of line. It was an innocent mistake. From that same video look at the cell and creature stage and compare them to this spore. This has been established LONG ago that the game has been made more cartoony.
My karma ran over your dogma

Offline Petike

• Stargate Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2008, 10:18:14 am »
Rather than post screenshots of graphical features that were clearly going to be improved 3 years on, why not explain to me how the game mechanics haven't been dumbed down by the examples I gave?
[/quote]
Done several times:

Features that were added after the original presentation:
-The outfit editor
-The music editor
-The UFO editor
-The terrain editing tools (creating hills, rivers, oceans)
-The procedurally generated music
-The ability to reach any creator or phase from the menu
-The ability to make Religion-based civilizations
-The ability to chose your home planet
-The ability to play in a non-hostile way (singing, dancing, making friends)
-The more detailed civilization phase gameplay (controlling spice nodes, harvesters, military/economic/ religious vehicles)
-The extreme planet types (like lava planets, ice planets, and even colorful, never-seen world)
-The various creature phase options such as splitting, hunting in pack, etc.
-The Creature differences like baby, and alpha creatures

Features that were cut out since that:
- Underwater creatures
- Blood

Quote from: MasterChiToes in "Spore was dumbed down"
Maybe the Sporons are the ones that got dumbed down?  ;D

Offline smurfslayer

• Centipede Crackerjack
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2008, 10:22:48 am »

Offline Ultramarine

• Bungeling Bay Raider
  • Whatever.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2008, 10:24:30 am »
Yes some things can be improved upon, but that will take time.

They aren't going to improve on that. They choose this style to reach younger female audiences who know them from the sims.  They didn't remove violence and blood only to put it back in, they removed it because they wanted to get the largest audience they could.

I actually meant the small issues, not the lack of violence, the addition of cuteness etc.
Kid: Oh wow I'm being deflowered by a grown woman!
Mother: By the way I'm your mother
Kid: OH GOD NO

EDIT: That's where it becomes rape if you were wondering.

ヽ(`∇)人(∇`)人(`∇)ノ   (゚д゚; )

Offline Kaze

• Adventure Ace
  • Vicious Polar Bear
    • View Profile
    • E
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2008, 10:24:43 am »
Now first off, I am not a 'troll'. I think I should have the right to post my opinion whether you agree with it or not, I am not posting this to wind anyone up or get a reaction, this is just how I feel.

Anyway, I picked the game up Friday (UK release date) and to my disappointment my fears of what the game had turned into over the past year of development, were true.

I was extremely excited over the prospect of Spore the day I saw this video;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nejN-umj824&feature=related

It's the presentation from E3 2006.

Here you can see a much 'grittier' realistic Spore. Blood sprays when an animal is bit, and the creature even strikes the opposing creature with his tail. The game is released and what do we get? 'Pokemon-like attack skills'; predetermined animations were the creature just lunches at the opposing one which results in some 'points' being deducted from health. No blood, no disfigurement, the creature doesn't even have to connect with the other to cause damage. The visuals are more pleasing in the 2006 version, darker more life like colours, not the goggle eyed, brightly coloured almost 'cute' creatures that you'd expect to see on a Nintendo game that we're left with in the release version.

If you skip to 6:50 on the video, you can actually see the creature clasp its jaws around the dead animal and attempt to drag it away. What do we get on release day? Your creature 'magically' produces neatly stacked steaks upon a silver platter.

It's a joke.
A lot of the stuff you mention requires smooth animations. I suspect the early demos of the game were not using procedurally generated animations, even if the developers indicated they were. Rather, they built the animations specifically for their demonstrations hoping that they could get their procedurally generated animations to look as sharp.

All you have to do is look at other animations that are procedurally generated and notice how crude they are, to understand why, for example, creatures do not need to actually hit another creature for an attack to count as a hit.

Offline Cosmosis

• Bezerk Brawler
  • Main Creatures: "Hop Hop", "Tik Tak" and "Bum Bum"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2008, 10:26:17 am »
Even as a long-term member in these forums, i must admit that he has a point. The fighting scenes (even though they are graphically improved) are nonetheless very much like the 1990's Pokemon battles. The opposing creature is not attacked, but its "lifepoints" is. There is no whatsoever close-up interaction between duelling creatures. A long time ago i realised that EA is aiming towards The Sims fans, but honestly; we aren't all 9 year-old kids.
*loves Cosmosis for his ridiculous optimism* ALWAYS LOOK ON THE BRIGHT SIDE OF LIFE! ;D

Offline Moogie

• Missile Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2008, 10:32:57 am »
Well, I'm pretty new around here too, so I consider myself outside the 'group bubble' of these forums... so, I'm not going to jump on your back just because it seems to be the 'popular' opinion.

In fact, I agree with you, dannyboy. When I first saw that video all those years ago it was totally amazing. Procedural interactions, like dragging things around, was very exciting. I could feel the absolute freedom in such a design. I remember thinking that the Underwater phase would be my favourite, and could imagine all the random and unscripted things that could happen in the universe that was being promised us.

Now don't get me wrong; I'm still enjoying the game, for what it is. But it's not the Spore that Will wanted to make, and that's obvious throughout the entire game.

I didn't expect it would force a storyline and have all these scripted events. I didn't think the game would create a generic, template star system for you to start in - with scripted events that are the same each and every time you play through.

Like when you swim out into the sea as a Creature. There's absolutely no randomness there. You swim out too far and, magically, a monster that always looks the same appears - in a cutscene, no less - to swallow up you and your gameplay freedom.

Of course, it's a bit niave to think a game would actually ship like that if it was aiming for younger audiences who need the hand-holding and guideance - which in my opinion is the biggest problem, they just took the wrong direction and gave us another "Black & White" where the freedom isn't as all-encompassing as it initially seems.

But as a game, it still works. I don't even mind the bugs it has. There are suprisingly few of them. And, disappointment aside, I've managed to enjoy it after all. The original Spore, the one we were promised in the beginning, would still be a thousand times better than what we've ended up with. But as an innovative, if somewhat safe attempt at something new, Spore at least gives you an interesting ride.

Besides, just wait 'til people mod the crap out of it. :)
« Last Edit: September 07, 2008, 10:37:37 am by Moogie »

Offline dannyboy123

• Pong Paddle
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2008, 10:42:43 am »
What? I'm not entirely clued up on internet terminology, but it was under my impression that a 'troll' was someone who posted just looking for a reaction. I simply reacted in an offensive manner as I do not care for being patronised, if Petike disagrees then fine, but don't treat me like a child and make a song and dance over such a petty thing like getting the date of the video wrong.

I'm glad that other people agree with my original point, I'm not trying to say the 2005 version is better, I'm saying the concept and basic mechanics seem a lot better than the Spore we have today.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2008, 10:46:17 am by LadyM »

Offline macweirdo42

• Microvision Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2008, 10:44:58 am »
Even as a long-term member in these forums, i must admit that he has a point. The fighting scenes (even though they are graphically improved) are nonetheless very much like the 1990's Pokemon battles. The opposing creature is not attacked, but its "lifepoints" is. There is no whatsoever close-up interaction between duelling creatures. A long time ago i realised that EA is aiming towards The Sims fans, but honestly; we aren't all 9 year-old kids.
It's a minor animation issue - it doesn't affect the actual game at all.  It strikes me that the combat system was done the way it was for simplicity's sake.  I wouldn't be surprised if they simply looked at the amount of work required, and decided that it wouldn't be worth the time investment.

Offline Skyward

• Ballblazer Plasmorb
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2008, 10:46:06 am »
well to clear things up, you claimed not to be a troll, but when someone posted a different opinion, you replied in rather poor taste, therefore, against all logic, you have trolled your own thread...kudos!
« Last Edit: September 07, 2008, 10:50:39 am by LadyM »
Hell, Skyward Descent is pure win!
Quote from: Captain
I kill you in the name of DELICIOUS!