Author Topic: Internet required?  (Read 2088 times)

Offline Lord Janos

• Wizardry Whiz
    • View Profile
Internet required?
« on: September 07, 2008, 07:23:57 am »
I haven't been around for a while and was totally shocked to see the adverts that Spore was out last week - I just hadn't thought about the game for ages and there it was on the shelves.

My internet on my laptop is pretty screwed atm, and I might buy myself a copy soon once I get my new bank account details through, however will I need internet to run Spore?  Or are there pre-loaded creatures et al that could entertain me prior to me getting internet back on my laptop?

Cheers, and I couldn't be bothered to search so don't bother flaming.

Offline Captain Indigo

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
Re: Internet required?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2008, 07:38:09 am »
You need it to activate it when you first install it, though after that you can play offline, though the bundled maxis creatures aren't amazing.

^^Click^^

Offline Lord Janos

• Wizardry Whiz
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2008, 07:46:15 am »
Mmm I might just wait until I sort out my router and get the internet working properly again.  Maybe I'll just wait until all the bugs and stuff are ironed out actually and Maxis have patched it properly.

Thanks for the help.

Offline Allch Chcar

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • City of Refuge
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2008, 08:27:07 pm »
In other news you could buy the game and use the crack. It is a lot of fun. Granted there are problems with Spore, but unless you have an active membership in the Church of Spode and think Will Wright is a prophet or god you'll be able to forgive the mistakes and enjoy the game.
No Ph34r.
~ |CoR| Sgt-Allch Chcar*XP*

Offline Necrox

• Venture Conqueror
  • Underwater Civs For President!
    • View Profile
    • Lupus Photo
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2008, 05:15:15 am »
If you're in a financial pickle and you're not too worried about getting spore nownowNOW! then I'd advise waiting.

Don't get me wrong Spore is GREAT, I've had a LOT of fun so far... but it could be so much more with a few wrinkles ironed out. There are some general gameplay issues which would benefit greatly from having a second look by the devs.

I would definately recommend getting Spore... eventually. Just needs a bit of spit-shine, and I hope EA will give Maxis the funds for that.

Offline Lord Janos

• Wizardry Whiz
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2008, 05:18:47 am »
If you're in a financial pickle and you're not too worried about getting spore nownowNOW! then I'd advise waiting.

Don't get me wrong Spore is GREAT, I've had a LOT of fun so far... but it could be so much more with a few wrinkles ironed out. There are some general gameplay issues which would benefit greatly from having a second look by the devs.

I would definately recommend getting Spore... eventually. Just needs a bit of spit-shine, and I hope EA will give Maxis the funds for that.

Experience has taught me that typically it's best to wait for patches for games anyway, unless the company is Blizzard in which case they are usually playable straight out of the box.  So yeah I'll probably wait a little while.

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2008, 05:23:44 am »
Come on Janos, you've been here since the beginning and your not going to join the fun? Of course I don't have my game yet either, waiting on Amazon.  :-\

Offline Lord Janos

• Wizardry Whiz
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2008, 05:27:37 am »
Come on Janos, you've been here since the beginning and your not going to join the fun? Of course I don't have my game yet either, waiting on Amazon.  :-\

I will join the fun eventually!  I just don't see the point until I at least get my internet back.  Veering off topic would it be possible to choose whose creatures appear in your game?  So if I wanted to see some of your creatures and some other forum members in my game is there a way to engineer that?

Offline BlueSabor

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2008, 05:42:46 am »
Yes, online settings you can choose buddies. 

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2008, 05:48:07 am »
As BueSabor said adding buddies. Also we had someone else request that some of us package some creatures so he could use them in the game while he played offline. You have to be online to register but then you can play offline for awhile. It will just use creatures that are in your files.

Offline Lord Janos

• Wizardry Whiz
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2008, 05:56:33 am »
Wasn't aware of the buddy system - I really haven't been paying any attention to Spore for ages until now.  That's pretty cool I look forward to joining in at some point then.