Author Topic: "Spore the game is ****" - Yahtzee  (Read 7580 times)

Offline BBsman5

• Dragster Diehard
  • Go Spore!
    • View Profile
"Spore the game is ****" - Yahtzee
« on: September 07, 2008, 12:42:41 am »
http://www.australiangamerpodcast.com/mp3/Australian_Gamer_Podcast_136.mp3

Yahtzee talks with some other dudes about Spore.  Doesn't seem like he likes it.
However they haven't even gotten to the space stage.
The other guy who played Spore was literally screaming at his computer because he couldn't figure out how to give his creatures marraccas.
It's not really surprising, Yahtzee is a hardcore gamer and doesn't really seem like the person who'd like Spore.

It was too long and I was afraid of spoilers so I stopped when I was like 1/3 the way through.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2008, 09:50:37 pm by Danzik »

Offline Spore-addict

• Kaboom Boomer!
    • View Profile
Re: "Spore the game is sh1t"
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2008, 01:04:42 am »
spore does have some bad things...sadly.

Tribal stage is simply too simple and not fun at all.

Space stage is a neverending scroll of your mousewheel. It really sucks. should have been two buttons to switch between planet-solar system-a bit further out , and then galaxy. It annoys like hell and soon my hand is saying no to spore.
Master Raytracer Spore-addict = KarmaCowboy

See you out there, feel free to comment my creatures.

Offline Allch Chcar

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • City of Refuge
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2008, 01:37:09 am »
Lol. Only two out of the three even played it and of the two one made it to Civ, the other got stuck on tribal. I played to Space in 12 hours(I was taking my time) and I went aggressive the whole way. It was easy enough. I'm average in skill too, so it's not like I'm pro. I had it on Hard so with plenty of frequency I died in Cell, Creature, Tribal, and Civ.

Matt was yelling at the computer when he couldn't figure out how to get his guys to carry around maracas. Yahtzee finished tribal by telling his tribe to commit suicide by only attacking the main hut. Yogi's copy was stolen by Matt and although he was more optimistic about it, hadn't even played it.

Matt probably told his chief to try and carry the maracas and the chief cannot do that, or his guy got bugged and couldn't move, I've seen that. Yahtzee won by being suicidal, which can work. The charge attack reminds me of WoW too BTW. And Yogi will need to buy his own copy now to even play.

Don't take them too seriously, they're jokers afterall and they act(possibly are) a little daft on games. Yahtzee as I recall is a nub. He tried to beat Heavenly Sword believing the only form of the sword was when in the split dagger form, so he ignored the two other forms the sword could take, and the only way to fight was by button mashing. That's a classic noob tactic used in every Fighting game in existence.
Regardless of the game, it doesn't demonstrate a high level of skill, that's for sure.
No Ph34r.
~ |CoR| Sgt-Allch Chcar*XP*

Offline Len84

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2008, 02:33:02 am »
How the hell could you not figure out how to give them marraccas??

If a reviewer can't figure that out, their review means diddly squat.

Offline CosmicD

• Omega Racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2008, 02:42:18 am »
hehe, a bit like that other site, something awful:

I remember a bit befor half life 2 shipped they had a "review' of hl2.  But under the hood I think it was just a protest article agaisnt all the "do you fight gman at the end" hype etc..

btw, how many times does one scroll the scrollwheel when reading a site ? I wonder why it's suddenly bad in space stage of spore ?. It's not the worst aspects of that stage I think: there's others, like the difficulty stage ramping up exponentially when you accidentially pass a warlike empire.

I find myself having to watch smily faces all the time to navigate my ship or else i'll be at war always :).. 

but anyway, I thought tribal was addictive and fun, maybe BECAUSE it's not all too elaborate and longthreaded gameplay.

Offline Allch Chcar

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • City of Refuge
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2008, 02:58:04 am »
The scrolling in space stage can mean life or death for your ship. I have my scroll wheel turned up several notches and I've frequently been destroyed in transit to a planet's surface.
No Ph34r.

Offline SporeForSure

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2008, 03:11:20 am »
The scrolling in space stage can mean life or death for your ship. I have my scroll wheel turned up several notches and I've frequently been destroyed in transit to a planet's surface.

Use the zoom in/out keys instead (check manual)
”It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring” (Dr. Carl Sagan)

Offline Spore-addict

• Kaboom Boomer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2008, 03:30:45 am »
okay thanks for the tip....

Is going to try to use the x+spacebar and spacebar...is sick of that scrolling.

Offline DarkDragon

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2008, 05:23:25 am »
spore does have some bad things...sadly.

Tribal stage is simply too simple and not fun at all.

Space stage is a neverending scroll of your mousewheel. It really sucks. should have been two buttons to switch between planet-solar system-a bit further out , and then galaxy. It annoys like hell and soon my hand is saying no to spore.

Creature stage was way more simple than Tribal, tribal was entertaining  ;)
DarkDragon's Minecraft Survival Server (use this as the IP):

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

- The server uses a whitelist, if you're not on the whitelist (can't connect), PM me your minecraft name.

Offline Veraal

• Zelda Zealot
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2008, 05:48:18 am »

i'd rather it be a quicker zoom out or just instant exit from a planet view to the universe.

there are alot of flaws in spore, yeah. but it works. kinda.

Offline Spore-addict

• Kaboom Boomer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2008, 06:02:21 am »
creature stage is much more complex than tribal.

Firstly when socializing it does matter if the creature is an infant, adult or alfa. Furthermore it matters if it is 2 creatures, the flock or it is a creature away from the pack.

The tactics to be a predator is also more than just killing.

Tribal is really just giving gifts or spam tribesmen with torches then attacking the main hut. The enemy cant seldom kill you before the hut goes down.

Having 9 buildings with 9 instruments is silly....like you would craft 3 music instruments in three different huts...

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
  • :33
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2008, 06:07:51 am »
ha...that podcast was great

i agree with most of the things they said...at least with the flaws they mentioned

but not figuring out the tribal stage was kinda stupid  ::)

Quote from: Krakow sam
That quote is actualy very witty, Celdur. I suggest you use that in your signature.

Offline happydan20

• Venture Conqueror
  • Discovered the "everything syndrome."
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2008, 06:20:40 am »
i had a problem where they refused to pick up maracas, i could get them to pick up anything else.

I think the thing with spore is you can't let it fit a traditional game experience.  On my first play through on easy i raced through and the experience felt shallow, add tyhat with the space "triggers" problem and it sucked.

I started over on hard and am currently getting every single piece from creature stage.  Sure, it gets boring and i have to stop, and i wish you could come back to finish the side quests in stages, but im enjoying the game alot more, my creature has just about every skill at 5.

FYI try the glide skill, it ****ing rocks, combine glide and jump level 5 and  you get a very new experience.
I survived the flood of 2008 and all I got was this crappy homelessness.

Offline SporeForSure

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2008, 06:25:30 am »

I ment HOME + END keys. They zoom in stages, not in just a few units.

FYI try the glide skill, it ****ing rocks, combine glide and jump level 5 and  you get a very new experience.

And combine that with the spice geysers...
« Last Edit: September 07, 2008, 06:27:43 am by SporeForSure »
”It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring” (Dr. Carl Sagan)

Offline Plank of Wood

• Final Fighter
  • Ka-Boom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2008, 06:39:04 am »
FYI IT'S YAHTZEE NOT IGN

Sorry, had to say that. People arn't getting the point.

edt: I AM GLORIOUS AND MY HAT IS BIG
« Last Edit: September 07, 2008, 11:09:35 am by LadyM »
the real saviour of this forum

Offline Allch Chcar

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • City of Refuge
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2008, 08:23:05 pm »
Some of us know who Yahtzee is.
Some of us don't, which is great, now we can introduce the lovable Yahtzee. From his obscene spamming of the f-bomb and various other colorful language not heard since that 8 hour stunt of Halo, to his noob tactics of trying to beat a game with his superfast button mashing, to his incredible fascination with Mmorpigers and the "way of the Grind", and now the verifiable fact that all of Yahtzee's friends are noobs like him.

It really makes you glad he's in Australia and helps you remember to hope and pray you never meet him or his friends on a public server. Because then he'd answer all of your questions of "how I mine for fish?" and "where is the quest giver?" with "bleep bleep idiot bleep bleep the bleep manual bleep chin bleep goldfish!!!11"
No Ph34r.

Offline Skyward

• Ballblazer Plasmorb
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2008, 02:57:40 am »
the lovable Yahtzee.
                |
              D:/
             ? ? ?
Hell, Skyward Descent is pure win!
Quote from: Captain
I kill you in the name of DELICIOUS!

Offline Moogie

• Missile Commander
    • View Profile
Re: "Spore the game is ****" - Yahtzee
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2008, 03:06:55 am »
I love Yahtzee's video reviews. Anyone who takes them seriously must be hearing this "whoosh" sound over their heads pretty often. :)

Offline Seloth

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2008, 03:19:28 am »
Exactly lol ^

Ever watch the one where he replies to some of the hate mail lol,He strives and makes a mockery from it....Come on,who wouldnt.

So Alch you taking him abit too seriously.It's probably jsut  charecter h puts on for the reviewings anyway *L*

And you dorealise that this forum is primairly international,Like for instance I'm from Ireland,I represent one of the majoring of European Players,you are one person from your country.There are lots of Australian players here so you shouldnt speak for everyone.

Offline SporeForSure

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2008, 07:13:39 am »
I love Yahtzee's video reviews. Anyone who takes them seriously must be hearing this "whoosh" sound over their heads pretty often. :)

Agree, i see them as funny and somewhat serious and sometimes his complains are REALLY legit, but some of the reviews are also contradictory. Take Oblivion for example, first he praises fasttravel, then he complains about it. I really enjoy Oblivion and my opinion does not change, even if i also appreciate Yahtzes "reviews".

I also really enjoy Spore...

Offline Rusted

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2008, 09:14:54 am »

Use, X and space, and pause.  It's lame, but generally when getting attacked I pause, scrool out as much as I can, unpause, scroll a enough to get to the next level, pause, scroll all the way out, unpause... repeat.  It's lame, but keeps me from getting hit too much when I can't hit back.
Terraforming. 
Turning dirt, forming.
Turning dirt; forming.
Terraforming.

Rusted -Sporepedia Name and Link
PM if you add me, I'll return the favor.

Offline Techleo

• Defender Devotee
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2008, 09:27:10 am »
Yahtzee can burn in the pits of oblivion now ;D Ill stoke the fire even!
All kidding aside, he was a bit to sarcastic and he isn't know for his imagination persay. Spore really isn't for a gamer so much as storytellers in my opinion. Which fortunately I am a storyteller and Im in heaven. ::)

Offline Allch Chcar

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • City of Refuge
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2008, 08:10:13 pm »
Sarchasm.
No Ph34r.