Author Topic: Sporepedia: 10.1 Million and Counting... (As of 4:12 PM EST on 9/9/08)  (Read 6431 times)

Offline WeAreLegion

• Wolfenstein Wunderkind
    • View Profile
    • Noigel's Art
So the Sporepedia is at 5.2 Million right now with 1,029,851   creations uploaded in last 24 hours...

...and it goes on sale in the US tomorrow.

That means one of the larger markets is not even contributing to it!  So how long till we hit 10 million, 50 million, 100 million...

1 billion.  :o

Any ideas?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 01:12:41 pm by WeAreLegion »

Offline j99450

• Phoenix Fighter
  • Eagle42 on Sporepedia
    • View Profile
Re: Sporepedia: 5.2 Million and Counting... (As of 9:30 PM EST on 9/6/08)
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2008, 06:30:44 pm »
Well I did read somewhere that Will hopes to eventually have more content in the sporepedia than all other models in the world combined...

Offline vonboy

• Centipede Crackerjack
  • the tiniest evil thing known to man and willosaurs
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2008, 06:41:45 pm »
i'll pull a random nunber out of my ass and say there will be 2,000,000 stuffs uploaded tomarrow with the us release. within a week, it'll slow to about 200,000 a day, which is still a whole lot.

i'm placing bets on the sporepedia reaching 10 million before friday.
Quote from: ilikedirt
your spores are wack

Fatal Error: You're creature is crap. You're computer will now explode.

check out my sporepedia page!
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/vonboy

Offline Fobok

• Fishing Derby Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2008, 06:54:54 pm »
No wonder the server's been having problems! This makes the CC's server load seem tiny by comparison.

Offline Zamaza

• Bezerk Brawler
  • Daydreaming at Night
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2008, 07:52:49 pm »
How many g does that put us at now Mr. Wright?

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2008, 07:54:36 pm »

huh? g as in gravitational mass?

Offline Doomsday

• Track and Field Jock
  • And, boom goes the dynamite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2008, 08:56:23 pm »

huh? g as in gravitational mass?

No G as in God(s). Spore fans are measured in G. The joke was that the Spore CC passed the known number of species on the earth within 18 days, something that supposedly took God 7 days to create.. there for we were rated at something like .38G (or something thereabouts). Will went on to assume that eventually we would pass 1.0G and go on to make millions upon millions of creations in relatively short spans of time.
"Never gonna give you up. Never gonna let you down. Never gonna run around and hurt you." - Elvis Presley

Offline Ondaderthad

• Rigel Rescuer
    • View Profile
    • Area32 - Westgate Builders
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2008, 10:09:40 pm »
My view on that. (just a wild guess - I could be wrong)

First there is an in-game option to
a) download your buddies creations based on creation date from 1 day to 60 days (can be ticked on/off)
b) delete creatures you downloaded from your buddies after a period of time if they are unused for 1 to 60 days

So at least on your own computer there is a system to keep the numbers down.

Secondly and this is my guess, they will probably do the same on their database. Any creature that hasn't been used at all by any other players for a certain time will probably get culled.
The original player still has it on his system but that creature will loose it's "Shared" green tick.
That player could edit it and share it again of course. But the first version would be removed from the Sporepedia.

Maxis could choose the length of time based on the size of their servers and the time it takes to update the database.

To me this is a Spore version of real life Species going Extinct.
ie. The Dodo has been removed from Earth database of genes, BUT the Dodo DNA might still exist in some museum somewhere and "could" be reactivated at some stage.

As I said... just a wild guess.

Offline WeAreLegion

• Wolfenstein Wunderkind
    • View Profile
    • Noigel's Art
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2008, 10:17:17 pm »

a) download your buddies creations based on creation date from 1 day to 60 days (can be ticked on/off)
b) delete creatures you downloaded from your buddies after a period of time if they are unused for 1 to 60 days

Secondly and this is my guess, they will probably do the same on their database. Any creature that hasn't been used at all by any other players for a certain time will probably get culled.
The original player still has it on his system but that creature will loose it's "Shared" green tick.
That player could edit it and share it again of course. But the first version would be removed from the Sporepedia.

Maxis could choose the length of time based on the size of their servers and the time it takes to update the database.

ie. The Dodo has been removed from Earth database of genes, BUT the Dodo DNA might still exist in some museum somewhere and "could" be reactivated at some stage.

While a good idea I highly doubt that they will cull anything...and if it were found out the players would be upset.  Regardless of how well thought out it is or you explain it to them they will view it as a chance for their stuff to be deleted.

Besides it is counter to community building to ever delete anything, and the creatures are like 28k each.  It would take many many millions or more to seriously go beyond storage capacity.

Offline Quantum Burrito

• K.C. Munchkin Maestro
  • Up, Down, Strange, Charm, Top, Bottom, Burrito
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2008, 10:26:35 pm »

While a good idea I highly doubt that they will cull anything...and if it were found out the players would be upset.  Regardless of how well thought out it is or you explain it to them they will view it as a chance for their stuff to be deleted.

Besides it is counter to community building to ever delete anything, and the creatures are like 28k each.  It would take many many millions or more to seriously go beyond storage capacity.

28kB*5,272,378=147626584kB=140.8GB (4 s.f.)
Quote from: The Will
In a movie, one can always pull back and condemn the character or the artist ... But in playing a game ... we can be encouraged to examine our own values by seeing how we behave within virtual space.
tl;dr. But with all those shiny symbols and numbers it's probably awsome.

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2008, 10:28:41 pm »
I'm pretty sure they have a huge server network somewhere, possibly multiple.

Offline Coolant

• Fire Truck Driver
  • Shoop Da Whoop!
    • View Profile
    • Forge Hub - Halo 3 Custom Maps
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2008, 11:08:53 pm »
Bungie had what.. Like 100+ Terrabytes of storage for Halo 3? I'm sure Maxis/EA would be fine with storage, especially since the files are so small.

Offline Quantum Burrito

• K.C. Munchkin Maestro
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2008, 11:30:27 pm »
Well, assuming 100TB, EA would only have room for approximately four hundred and twenty two sextillion creations :-\ We only have fifteen orders of magnatude left!
In a movie, one can always pull back and condemn the character or the artist ... But in playing a game ... we can be encouraged to examine our own values by seeing how we behave within virtual space.

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2008, 11:34:56 pm »
We're still a LOONG way from a billion, although if there were a billion users, that would rise FAST. A billion is like 100 thousand million, right? so only 999,999,995 million to go, I think.

My math is probably way off, but I think you guys get the idea.

Offline Quantum Burrito

• K.C. Munchkin Maestro
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2008, 11:37:22 pm »
In the system normally used for counting realling damn big things:

million=1000*1000
billion=1000*million
trillion=1000*billion
quadrillion=...you get the idea

Not too far off.