Author Topic: Question about Space stage - holograms.  (Read 9466 times)

Offline Captain Indigo

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
Question about Space stage - holograms.
« on: September 06, 2008, 12:32:24 pm »
I understand you are able to beam down a hologram of yourself from the UFO onto worlds to explore and look around. Can you:

a) Do this on inhospitable worlds, ie. lava planets?
b) Walk around inside tribe villages/civ cities like that? And if so, do they react to your presence?

Cheers.

^^Click^^

Offline Sasha

• Wizard of Wor
    • View Profile
Re: Question about Space stage - holograms.
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2008, 12:42:35 pm »
And how do I use/get/unlock the hologram function?

Offline plastik

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2008, 12:43:53 pm »
You can't walk around cities, and I don't know about tribes, I haven't tried yet. I also haven't tried it on T0 planets, but I assume T1 and above is fine. And I don't remember how I unlocked it Sasha, sorry.

Offline spiritofcat

• Fishing Derby Champion
  • Ta-da!
    • View Profile
    • My Sporepedia Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2008, 05:57:57 pm »
The Hologram is pretty horrible really.
It moves very slowly and can't do anything interesting like jumping or anything your creature used to be able to do.
You can't enter cities with it. You just stop at the walls.

Offline Tobias

• Boot Hill Bandit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2008, 04:26:59 am »
  I am sorry to bump this thread, but has anyone yet discovered a use for this tool?  I thought I remembered semi-recent videos and pictures prior to the launch that looked as if you could beam your character down.  Has the hologram replaced that entirely?  It is strange that your hologram can not jump, fly, swim, talk, interact, or even move at a half decent pace.  If it were any slower, I might begin to think I was beaming down a holographic statue.  It is difficult to use the hologram to explore a planet from the ground, as the lack of speed and ability to interact with things causes me to get stuck quite often in dips and chasms.  I am not complaining, just curious if I have missed something.
Earth has been a lovely place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live here.

Offline spiritofcat

• Fishing Derby Champion
  • Ta-da!
    • View Profile
    • My Sporepedia Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2008, 05:03:02 am »
I haven't found any way to make it do anything useful.
I'd really love to be able to take control of a creature on a planet and in effect go from Space stage back to Creature stage.

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
    • KOSMOSIS CHRONICLES dA Page
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2008, 05:05:21 am »
As far as I've tried, it seems that you cannot enter cities, though you can walk into tribe camps. However, they usually just become afraid of you and either shake in fear or run to for the hills. :-\

And yes, you can do it on any planet. Even if you're currently fighting. Though I've only tried using it while blasting a few cities in a civ I uplifted. I dunno about UFO-UFO combat. :)

Also, I really have to agree that it is almost completely useless, unless you want to get a good view of something or freak out a bunch of tribe creatures. :)

Offline Necrox

• Venture Conqueror
  • Underwater Civs For President!
    • View Profile
    • Lupus Photo
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2008, 05:45:19 am »
What unlocks it is listed in your game manual. I believe the choice is Missionista 5 or Trader 5, but I'm not sure. I don't have the manual here.

It would be really nice if they upgraded the hologram a bit so it could be used for more stuff. It's a great feature in potential, but for now it's mostly just to enjoy the scenery (which is nice and needed! but more would be cool).

Suggestions
-Ability to jump/fly, because why not?
-Faster movement, because why not?
-Ability to walk in cities, because why not?
-Ability to communicate/interact with civ/tribe creatures; directional booming speakers on UFO ftw. (or maybe Vogon style?)
-Control of your UFO's weapons/abduction beam; ie. walk as hologram, but be able to target a creature and hit laser and have a pillar of burning fire decend from the sky and incinnerate your target. Come on. That WOULD be cool :P And you're technically still in your UFO physically, so why not :)

Any other ideas?
(remember to keep them in line with the fact that you're a hologram controlled by a UFO, not a physical being)

Offline Yannick

• Tetris Tumbler
  • The end is nigh
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2008, 06:27:56 am »
Has anyone found the thing that sets the speed ofthe hologram scout in the packagefiles so we can chyange it yeT?

"It's only your virginity, loosen up!"

Offline skewedjester

• Video Pinball Wizard
  • The Book of Jester holds the truth...usually.
    • View Profile
    • My Sporepedia Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2008, 09:36:58 am »
To answer the question of "What's the point?"...

It would probably be fun to use on a wildlife preserve planet, so you can get up-close and personal with all the species you've collected. That's really the only thing it's good for. Looking at local flora and fauna, maybe getting a closer look at odd geographical formations.

Offline Rubric

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2008, 12:32:58 pm »

Because it would highlight the fact that the buildings are all the wrong scale?

Any other ideas?
(remember to keep them in line with the fact that you're a hologram controlled by a UFO, not a physical being)

I'd prefer to just skip the hologram, and beam down directly.  I wouldn't mind if some teammates came along too, like guys from my allied space ships.  It would be funny to put red shirts on a few of them.

Offline IamMe

• Gorf Goon
  • +200 Points!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2008, 12:44:36 pm »

Because it would highlight the fact that the buildings are all the wrong scale?

Your hologram is bigger than your regular creature anyway, so it's not like it would matter. It would just show that your hologram is bigger than normal. All the civilians are smaller than normal too, so the buildings aren't that out of proportion. Also this is a cartoony styled game. Of course the buildings are going to look out of proportion.

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
    • KOSMOSIS CHRONICLES dA Page
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2008, 10:47:13 pm »
Suggestions
-ability to teleport (In an expansion maybe.)
-ability to go through stuff (You are controlling a hologram. :P)
-ability to disappear without the ship needing to be right above you. (Imagine simply turning off a projector.)

I'd prefer to just skip the hologram, and beam down directly.  I wouldn't mind if some teammates came along too, like guys from my allied space ships.  It would be funny to put red shirts on a few of them.

QFT

Offline Necrox

• Venture Conqueror
  • Underwater Civs For President!
    • View Profile
    • Lupus Photo
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2008, 05:07:55 am »
I don't see why one should rule out the other.
Ability to beam down would be awesome too, but I like the idea of the hologram as well.

You could easily seperate the abilities of them to make them different:

Beam down
-Physically interact with (kill/impress) creatures on the surface. Perhaps a you can earn a handheld laser/phaser/whatever from badges.
-Can be killed (respawn in home system).
-Can't beam down to/walk into cities (stopped at city walls).
-Retain your species' abilities.
-Have an "away team" with you (your allied ship companions), which work like a pack.
-No communication with Civ species (the universal translator is on the ship).
-No ship weapon control.

Hologram
-No physical interaction.
-No away team.
-Can't be killed.
-Can glide indefinately.
-Can communicate with Civs via radio and universal translator, and tribes via vogon-like speakers.
-Can control ship weapons, abduction beam, crop circles.
-Can enter cities (pass through walls).
-Larger than life; Impresses tribals, perhaps get them to worship your hologram similar to Civ phase religious takeover.

Just examples :)
This way other than "the flavor" of it, it would also carry different bonuses to use one or the other in specific situations.
What's your move Picard? Hologram or Away Team this time. ;)
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 05:16:45 am by Necrox »

Offline brotherscrim

• Breakout Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2008, 06:12:25 am »
I have discovered that, hologram or not, Epic creatures can and do pick you up and throw you :D