Author Topic: (Almost) Free Atmopshere Generators in Space Stage  (Read 5171 times)

Offline Kaze

• Adventure Ace
  • Vicious Polar Bear
    • View Profile
    • E²
(Almost) Free Atmopshere Generators in Space Stage
« on: September 06, 2008, 12:30:39 pm »
Just thought I would share this with people who might find it useful. It might be a very minor spoiler, but I'm only referring to the tutorial part of the space stage, so it's not much of one.

Upon taking off into space for the first time and contacting your home planet you'll be given some options for what you want to try doing. If you select "I want to expand my empire" you'll be given an Atmosphere Generator and instructions to fly to a specific planet and use it. Take this generator and use it on a planet, any planet except the one you're instructed to use it on. Next, return to your home planet and make contact, inquire about the mission and inform them that you need another Atmosphere Generator. They'll give you another one for 1,000 Sporebucks. That's a whole lot less than 150,000 Sporebucks they normally cost. Use the Atmosphere Generator on another planet you want to terraform, then rinse and repeat. I have only done this four times, but thus far it continues to work.

Offline Gunner

• Bungeling Bay Raider
  • No Smoking Zone
    • View Profile
Re: (Almost) Free Atmopshere Generators in Space Stage
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2008, 12:32:17 pm »
Just thought I would share this with people who might find it useful. It might be a very minor spoiler, but I'm only referring to the tutorial part of the space stage, so it's not much of one.

Upon taking off into space for the first time and contacting your home planet you'll be given some options for what you want to try doing. If you select "I want to expand my empire" you'll be given an Atmosphere Generator and instructions to fly to a specific planet and use it. Take this generator and use it on a planet, any planet except the one you're instructed to use it on. Next, return to your home planet and make contact, inquire about the mission and inform them that you need another Atmosphere Generator. They'll give you another one for 1,000 Sporebucks. That's a whole lot less than 150,000 Sporebucks they normally cost. Use the Atmosphere Generator on another planet you want to terraform, then rinse and repeat. I have only done this four times, but thus far it continues to work.
Heh, that sounds brilliant. :)
:O
Also, Gunner is one of the children.
It's true.

Offline Captain Indigo

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2008, 12:33:55 pm »
Score, nice. First time around though I'll endevour to do it all properly. ie. no cheats, bug exploits or anything of the sort :P

Once I finish the story though I'll just mess about, doing what I want.

^^Click^^

Offline SporeForSure

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2008, 12:36:58 pm »
True, but you can only have one at a time, and you cannot progress along the "i want to colonise"-questline.

The atmospheric generators gets obsolete later on by something much cheaper (to run, not to buy)...
”It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring” (Dr. Carl Sagan)

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2008, 12:40:16 pm »
nice trick :)

Players will always find a use for something that wasn't quite its origional intended use, its a fact of gaming. Of course though, the Maxis team could have allowed for that possibility.

It will be perfect for starting up the terraforming process on local planets. Probably should be careful not to let someone else lay claim to that planet.

Still, I'll have to see on my first play through.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2008, 10:41:28 am »
It doesn't. It counts as a mission success regardless of where you put the colony.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Fumanchu

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2008, 11:51:59 am »
Okay, here's my question about Atmosphere Generators:

Do you need to keep using some on the <b>same</b> planet in order to increase its T-score? As in, I increased a T0 (zero) to a T1, stabilized it with the plants & creatures and planted a colony on it. But how do I increase it from a T1 to a T2 (or T3)? Do I just keep plopping down Atmosphere Generators to unlock the ability to stabilize a T2 planet? That part seems perpetually locked and I can't quite figure out how to better the atmosphere.

Offline Moogie

• Missile Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2008, 12:06:18 pm »
The closer to the center of the circle you make that little dot go, the nearer you'll get to achieving the next T-level.

If, to get it in the center, you need to add more atmosphere (North), remove atmosphere (South), lower the temperature (West) or raise the temperature (East), you use the corresponding tool until the dot reaches the next ring.

Oftentimes, you need to use multiple tools - of the same type, and of different types - at the same time. I was so frustrated when I spent all that money on a 150k Drought Generator, only to find it wasn't enough - and in the end, I needed to use three of them, one after another, before the next level unlocked.

If you leave it, the conditions will quickly return to how they were before you did anything. And that's a waste of money. So be prepared first.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 12:08:23 pm by Moogie »

Offline Tr0n

• Dragster Diehard
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2008, 12:07:15 pm »
If it's a green orbit planet, its T Score stabilizes as soon as any external effects stop moving it.  Lower quality planet orbits will move to the outside of the highest STABILIZED (with plants) T Score.

Therefore, green orbit planets stay wherever you put them, via atmosphere generators, heat/refridgeration rays, cloud accumulators, etc.  So, if you have a planet with perfect heat levels, you have a chance of just using 2 or 3 atmosphere generators to get it to a T2 or T3.  Of course, you can always just cruise on thru some of the badge levels and get tools that aren't one-shot to let you fine tune both axes of the T Score range.
Hey love crusader, I want to be your space invader
For you I will descend the deepest moon crater
I is more stronger than Darth Vapour
Obey me, I is your new dictator

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2008, 04:03:02 pm »
Yeah in space the terraforming your colony quest is all bugged for me. It made it a T1 but the quest never seems to end. I have all the ecosystem filled up and even got it to a T2 and it still won't give me the quest. :(

Offline Spore-addict

• Kaboom Boomer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2008, 08:47:19 pm »
the red dot needs to go into the center.

Basically more atmossphere makes it go up, less atmosphere down. highere temperatur to the right, less temperature to the left.

When it enters a ring, you need to stabilize that ring. big t1 plant, middel t1 plant, small t1 plant then herbivore-carnivore-omnivore you can also use just herbivore and then omnivore. to fill out the blue rings.

next levels has needs other creatures.

I think that you can hit level 3 then stabilize with t3 plant and creatures...and skip the other stages.
Master Raytracer Spore-addict = KarmaCowboy

See you out there, feel free to comment my creatures.

Offline Kaze

• Adventure Ace
  • Vicious Polar Bear
    • View Profile
    • E²
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2008, 11:00:06 pm »
the red dot needs to go into the center.

Basically more atmossphere makes it go up, less atmosphere down. highere temperatur to the right, less temperature to the left.

When it enters a ring, you need to stabilize that ring. big t1 plant, middel t1 plant, small t1 plant then herbivore-carnivore-omnivore you can also use just herbivore and then omnivore. to fill out the blue rings.

next levels has needs other creatures.

I think that you can hit level 3 then stabilize with t3 plant and creatures...and skip the other stages.
Plants/animals do not have tiers. Each tier needs any small, medium and large plant, two herbivores and a carnivore or omnivore. You cannot stabilize a higher tier until a lower tier has been stabilized. If you use the tools to bring a T0 planet to T3 before adding any plants or animals, the outer ring will turn yellow, and the two inner rings will turn red. You cannot turn a ring green until it is yellow, which does not occur until the ring before it is green.

Offline DaMuncha

• Lode Runner
  • GREAT SCOTTS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2008, 11:13:52 pm »
Well once you get the cloud vacume or cloud maker you can do it as much as u want for free, just gotta watch ur energy.

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2008, 11:18:37 pm »
Sweet now i just need a cheap way to make heat a single meteor drop isn't doing it on the planet I'm after.

Offline Necrox

• Venture Conqueror
  • Underwater Civs For President!
    • View Profile
    • Lupus Photo
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2008, 03:11:54 am »
Sweet now i just need a cheap way to make heat a single meteor drop isn't doing it on the planet I'm after.

A perpetual "Heat Ray" (that just spends energy) can be unlocked by getting the badges Terra-Wrangler 3 or Empire 3.
(Manual pg. 80)