Author Topic: I saw DOOM. (warning: Spoliers)  (Read 2783 times)

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
  • Now for some real user power...
    • View Profile
I saw DOOM. (warning: Spoliers)
« on: October 22, 2005, 02:03:12 pm »
OK, the kids and wife basically forced me out of the house, so I went to the theater. All there was showing was DOOM so I threw down $6.00 and watched it.

I give is a C-. It is an OK action movie. 'The ROCK' can actually act! Granted it wasn't Oscar material, but he didn't suck.

SPOILER WARNING - I"M ABOUT TO TALK ABOUT THE MOVIE - I"VE WARNED YOU

The threw out the whole hell/demons/evil plot like for a standard fare mutation storyline that seems more fitting on the Saturday night SCI-FI line-up rather than on the big screen. The special effect being the only part the saving grace from the just mentioned fate.

For all the actor's hype about the BFG, which looked really cool when it hit its targets, is was almost a pointless issue. In fact all of the weapons in the movie seems pretty dull and boring. The equipment that the 'crack military response team' carried was laughable, the Marines in Aliens were better equipt than this, at least they wore helmets in Aliens.

There was some humor instilled in to the movie, but a lot of it was 'frag-gags' that only gamers would care about or even catch. The future tech was interesting, they intruduced a few toys that were kind of cool.

Character development was basically 'everybody read your character background queue card during the first 30 minutes of the movie.' The only nod to the orginal plot line was some religeous rantings by one of the squad members. Granted you never get much development in the plot when you only get a few minutes screen time, heck one characters whole script was to say his name, lock a couple doors, and die.

Some things that they didn't do that you normally see in these movies...
The Rock is only shirtless in the opening scenes.
The only female nudity was an exposed breast on a dismembered body.
There is no love story (per se)
There is no active corprate or government entity forcing the characters in to stupidity.(other than the initial storyline)
Nobody smoked
There wasn't any crap music in the movie (I think it was all game music) but the end credit songs was a heavy Metal 'F*&^" and "S&^%" ballad of stupdity.

In all, a movie to see if you have nothing else to do or a need to do something while the happy-hour buzz wears off.

-Lego

Offline Tal

• Rigel Rescuer
  • Farm boy
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Re: I saw DOOM. (warning: Spoliers)
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2005, 05:55:08 pm »
I saw it too, and I was frankly surprised.

Doom doesn't suck.

OK, now I know some blood pressures just shot up out there, so let me explain.

The Rock can act. He was actually pretty damn good, and managed to pull of some quite good dialouge. The other characters were pretty good too, with one notable exception. I'm too lazy to check IMDB for her name, but the actress portrayting Samantha Grimm was absolutely awful. They should have fired her after the first scene! I mean, the entire time she just seemed bored with the whole thing! The only time I got any response was when she was being menaced by the Rock.

Second, the action, while pretty good, was used sparingly. This was more like Doom 3, where you'd kill one or two enemies, then have to deal with the paranoia-induced shadow-shooting afterwards.

The mutation angle, while pretty well developed, was kinda hokey. There were some religious references and allusions to Olduvai being Hell, but other than that, the movie played the scientific bent straight. This rubbed me the wrong way. I want a balls-out, no-nonsense movie that goes ahead and tells you that Hell has broken loose, and the demons are coming. I mean, Hollywood can't just do that for us? Why does every horror movie have to give some loose "explanation" for the monsters? I mean, come on, some of us actually like the whole demons-coming-through-the-portal-to-Hell thing. Also, this stuff about the people becoming monsters? Give me a break. This limits the amount of demons and is just some lame way to try and shock the audience.

The final fight scene between Sarge and Reaper was also well-done, but also kinda cheesy. I mean, come on, how can you not sit there and think The Rock is about to lay the People's Elbow down on Reaper? I'd also bet my artificial leg that they tried to get him to do it, too. And this whole superhuman strength and speed and regeneration, while it would explain your character's ability to go toe-to-toe with the legions of Hell, is also kinda cheesy.

Pinky demon. What more is there to say?

The FPS scene stunned me. I was expecting is to lay on the cheese, but somehow, it managed to not only be good, but actually engaging and visceral. The whole thing was an adrenaline-fueled blast right from the game, but ten times better. Just watching Reaper take down zombies, imps, and hellknights from his perspective is simply awesome. Plus, the fight with Pinky was cool beyond words. Honestly, this was one of coolest scenes I've seen all year!

Take my word for it, this movie is worth your time. It manages to transcend being a videogame/action movie and actually have a thought-provoking scene. I won't spoil that little tidbit for you, but it actually had a message to it. Go see it and find out for yourself.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2005, 08:06:35 pm by Tal »
There are some things mankind was not meant to know...

"If you can't take the heat, get off the car hood." -Bucky Katt

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2005, 05:50:47 am »
The mutation angle, while pretty well developed, was kinda hokey. There were some religious references and allusions to Olduvai being Hell, but other than that, the movie played the scientific bent straight. This rubbed me the wrong way. I want a balls-out, no-nonsense movie that goes ahead and tells you that Hell has broken loose, and the demons are coming. I mean, Hollywood can't just do that for us? Why does every horror movie have to give some loose "explanation" for the monsters? I mean, come on, some of us actually like the whole demons-coming-through-the-portal-to-Hell thing. Also, this stuff about the people becoming monsters? Give me a break. This limits the amount of demons and is just some lame way to try and shock the audience.

The game has a perfectly good explanation. The teleporter connected to another dimension- Hell. Unfortunately the big 'Scary pop-culture phenomenon' at the moment is genetic engineering. In the fifties people were up to their armpits in Atomic technology gone wrong movies, god knows what itll be in 50 years time- Brain transplants?
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Leng

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
  • !?!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2005, 06:26:18 am »
well next it'll be optics and advanced physics. the series Threshold involves an alien invasion done in the fashion of a computer virus: an infinitely spreading fractal pattern expressed in biological and molecular structures and mathematics. wicked. the 70s Battlestar Galactica played on the fears and prejudices of american workers threatened by automation, while the modern remake involves the realization of AI sentience and the quickly approaching technological singularity. 
« Last Edit: August 29, 2006, 08:34:21 pm by Leng »
I have been told
not by one but two of my lovers
that I've got a heart of gold
but I'm unable to share it with others
They call me a poet who'll never have a poem
a tiger with no taste for bone
I'm the wonderful wonderful wizard who's waltzing alone

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2005, 07:29:21 am »
Sam Grimm was
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0683253/

No, she isn't very good.

Offline retman

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2005, 08:08:33 am »
What doe everyone think of the movie?

Offline Kagan

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2005, 01:52:35 pm »
I don't see why everyone is so against The Rock. He's certainly a better action star/actor than Arnold ever was. He simply hasn't been able to land any truly great roles.

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2005, 06:34:33 pm »
I have nothing against 'The Rock'. In fact, I was impressed by his performance in this movie. He is wrapping up another movie with Sarah Mechelle Gellar and is stating filming 'Spy Hunter'.

I'm just not happy with the crap Hollywood pushes out on us these days. :(

-Lego