Author Topic: For those still waiting for Spore...  (Read 3410 times)

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
For those still waiting for Spore...
« on: September 05, 2008, 08:12:19 pm »
A little reassurance, yay!

I just spent the last two days hunched up to my screen, giggling like a lunatic. Whilst I havent really ventured far into the space stage yet, I have played two species through to the space stage, all the way up from Cell. Now, you know all those people saying Spore is really empty and boring? All those people saying its a big let-down? Disregard it.

Spore seems to be exactly as it should be. Granted, there is a little period of adjustment, when you realise Spore does have its limits and internal workings you can work at mentally mapping... but the game itself remains true to its original vision. You create, you play around, you create some more, you complete a task, you create even more...

It ended up a little more drivenly task/mission-based than I expected, but it gives you a sense of direction, I think. When you actually decide not to do exactly what the tooltip suggests you do, and stop, look around, take in the sights, go exploring by looking at the world rather than the arrow on the minimap... its great. Some aspects feel a little hollower than I expected, but its not game-breakingly so. What few things I noticed that seemed to be missing, I suspect might get patched in later on.

The people saying the game has no replayability were likely only viewing the game from a fixed perspective. In their mind, all they'd get from the game is a series of tooltips saying "Befriend/Hunt 5 Blobboids to get 35 DNA". However for me? I stopped early on in the space phase of my first species, just to go back and do it all again, wondering what the next planet would be like, and how carnivores would play out.

Rambling, yeah... but its far from as bad as some would have you believe. I really havent seen many bugs, and those that I found were far from game-breaking, and didnt ruin anything. So cheer up, you'll soon be merrily concocting all kinds of crazy stuff!

Offline WeAreLegion

• Wolfenstein Wunderkind
    • View Profile
    • Noigel's Art
Re: For those still waiting for Spore...
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2008, 08:19:24 pm »
Thanks!  We need more, and are seeing more, topics like these!! :)

One...more...fricking...day...   :-\

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
  • :33
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008, 08:24:44 pm »
eh

im not saying the game is bad
its fun to play yes
but it wont last longer than any other game with replayability
and there are allot of things that piss me off about it...
and there is not much to do once you have seen it all
it also likes to choose lots of maxis creatures and even more of your own creatures...so thats total bull****
it IS a fun game and it IS worth the money...but its still worth about an 8 and it still doesnt have allot of depth
if you dont mind the grind then you will like this game allot more
its cool too see all the pwetty stars and planets ect. but it gets repetitive after so long

what i dislike the most are the bugs...the immersion breakers...the annoying space stage attacks and the god damn alien voices

EDIT: and also all the lies >.>

Quote from: Krakow sam
That quote is actualy very witty, Celdur. I suggest you use that in your signature.

Offline Netherflare

• Time Pilot Trekker
  • Peski's > You
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2008, 08:25:25 pm »
Yah! I Cant wait!

Has anyone gotten an email yet saying they shipped Spore out to the places they were suppose to be at if you preordered it?
I Want Patience, and I Want It NOW!

Peskitoriantais - http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=5046.0
Violandro - http://violandro.myminicity.com/

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2008, 08:48:46 pm »
not yet, however because of Amazons dang 'no shipping on the weekend' thing, I have to wait until the 9th.

The amazon site should say whether its shipping and despite thier no shipping on weekends, it should still be delivered to thier warehouses and stuff.

Offline Plasmodia

• Video Pinball Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2008, 08:54:33 pm »
I find creature stage is really fun to play. No not singing dancing or killing things. I like to hunt the skeletons. Yeah I hunt the strays and sing to creatures that dont like me, to get them off my back, but I love to sit back and go treasure hunting for some reason. Sometimes you find the big skeletons its so fun. Im going to try to get all the parts before getting any DNA points.

Offline Arachoid

• Tempest Top Dog
  • A new musical revelation...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2008, 09:07:49 pm »
Before I knock over Target Sunday to get the Special Edition (I gotta use that coupon, dammit!), I have one question:

I plan to play for quite awhile in creature. Does the game kinda push you through and drop you off in Space like some people have said, or can I take my sweet time?
I say NO! to all limits.
Unfortunately, I don't think we're far enough into the Civ stage to have deveoped into the 'Infinite-ghz processing' research tree yet...

Offline Ondaderthad

• Rigel Rescuer
    • View Profile
    • Area32 - Westgate Builders
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2008, 09:17:36 pm »
This is only a personal opinion but..
My advice to those still waiting:

Use the time left to scan the Sporepedia (website version) and find a good collection of buddies. You can add them by clicking the big gold cross next to their avatar.
You will need enough buddies to have more creatures than the ones supplied on the diisk. Maxis creature are fine but a bit boring.

Just after you install the game and login it will start downloading all of them and that takes a while. Don't worry it's transparent in the background.

Next you can change the Online Settings to accept only buddies, etc.. and there are tick boxes to configure if you want all their creatures or only recent ones.

Play your first game straight from cell to space on EASY
This is like a tutorial. You get heaps of yellow boxes teaching you the main features (including camera controls)
Keep playing to the space stage and do all the initial missions, they are also tutorial like. (like developing your first colony)
When you start getting attacked by alien empires is probably the time to stop. At that point you probably don't get any more tutorial messages anyway.

That's when you can start your game proper. One of them anyway. I believe that Spore has a lot of replayability.

Go back to your settings page and untick the tutorial box to get rid of the annoying yellow boxes. On the second run you should know what to do.

You start with a choice of 6 empty planets. But every time you start a new game on a new planet another one becomes available so you always have a choice of 6.

Ok.. Maybe after you have 45,000 saved games you may have to delete a few...

If you think the tribe and civ stages are a bit short then be glad because you will have to do it a lot of times. 45,000 times? if that's how many stars there is.

Of course you could start straight at the space stage since it's now unlocked, but you don't get the full benefits of the special abilities gained at each early stages.

Yes.. each stage sort of forces you to go to the next. But there are ways around that.
You progress to the next stage when your timeline is full. What you do after that doesn't change much.
So the trick is to avoid things that grow the timeline. (different for each stage)
For example in Creature stage it advances when you kill or befriend creatures. Don't do too much of that and you can play it longer. ie. look for skeletons, explore, etc.. instead.

Offline Arachoid

• Tempest Top Dog
  • A new musical revelation...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2008, 10:50:01 pm »
Thanks, Ondaderthad; I'm carrying out your buddy-gathering advice now!
I say NO! to all limits.
Unfortunately, I don't think we're far enough into the Civ stage to have deveoped into the 'Infinite-ghz processing' research tree yet...

Offline MTCason

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2008, 06:40:33 am »

Use the time left to scan the Sporepedia (website version) and find a good collection of buddies. You can add them by clicking the big gold cross next to their avatar.
You will need enough buddies to have more creatures than the ones supplied on the diisk. Maxis creature are fine but a bit boring.

What does this mean, exactly?  You have to have a certain number of buddies before any custom content will show up in your game?

Offline Ondaderthad

• Rigel Rescuer
    • View Profile
    • Area32 - Westgate Builders
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2008, 06:51:56 am »
Yes you have 2 choices here. Either take everything from anybody. Or tick the Buddy only box.
But if you don't have the buddies yet then it's only the Maxis from the disk.
Oh and your own creatures as well.
My first game I only had the best of gamingsteve (hydromancerx, LadyM, Parkaboy, Darcie) but then I found out that I encountered mostly Parkaboy creatures because he had about 400 of them...

So I also added a dozen other people to make up around 5000 new creatures. Less repetition.
And it's easier and faster to do it directly from the website.
Also the webpage shows the buddies of your buddies.. so you can start with those.

Offline MTCason

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2008, 06:59:23 am »
Yes you have 2 choices here. Either take everything from anybody. Or tick the Buddy only box.
My first game I only had the best of gamingsteve (hydromancerx, LadyM, Parkaboy, Darcie) but then I found out that I encountered mostly Parkaboy creatures because he had about 400 of them...

So I also added a dozen other people to make up around 5000 new creatures. Less repetition.
Also the webpage shows the buddies of your buddies.. so you can start with those.

Will it not automatically load any creatures you've downloaded to your own hard drive?  I've downloaded probably close to 1,000 in the past few months in anticipation for Spore.

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2008, 07:08:21 am »
Glad to hear something positive. I'm really getting bummed out that everyone is playing and I'm not.

Offline WeAreLegion

• Wolfenstein Wunderkind
    • View Profile
    • Noigel's Art
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2008, 07:15:29 am »

Uhh-hum!  The best of Gaming Steve??  Where am I? ;)

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2008, 08:24:29 am »

Will it not automatically load any creatures you've downloaded to your own hard drive?  I've downloaded probably close to 1,000 in the past few months in anticipation for Spore.

From what I hear, its suppoused to be automatic. I was kind of anticipating that the sporecast system was going to do this for a while.