Author Topic: Spore Space Stage Guide  (Read 61446 times)

Offline superstartran

• Fire Truck Driver
    • View Profile
Spore Space Stage Guide
« on: September 05, 2008, 04:23:01 pm »
I've been reading about the complaints about the Space Stage of Spore. Personally, I love it. It's very fun, open ended, and actually fairly easy once you get the hang of it.

What most people don't realize is that, you cannot go out gung ho and start rampaging people left and right in the Space Stage like you could in the other stages. Also, many people do not realize how important it is to Terra Form and build up their planets. Without building up your planets, and establishing your beginning Empire, you are truly setting yourself up for disaster, as many people have.

A. The Herbivore / Peace Path / Economist Path

Alot of people will complain about this, but you cannot play the Space Stage without combat. It's just not possible. You can however, minimize the amount of combat, which is very helpful to you in the beginning of the game. When starting out in the Space Stage, it is best to remember that you are very small, and you will need the help of other friendly species in the game. Look for the spices that are local to you, and trade with these species (where most profitable) and begin saving up. Some key components you want early on are the Atmospheric Generators / De-Generators. These are very important in establishing your new colony. Do not, I repeat, do not start a colony before Terraforming it. That is just asking for trouble. Without well established colonies, you will have very little income, and very little defenses.

The Run Down of a Peaceful Species :

A. Remember to ally with peaceful species early on that are near you

They will be your protectors early on, and your source of income. Be sure to keep good relations with them, as they will be your major source of income and protection (Fleet units). Also, you can purchase their Systems once you become rich enough after establishing a major trade route with the Species.

B. Always, Always, Always, Always, Always Terra Form the planet before establishing your colony

I know everyone wants to slap colonies left and right, but you HAVE to Terraform the planet before you colonize it. An established planet has resources, and you can grow your colony larger then if it was on a non-terraformed planet. You can also establish defenses easier, as you can build more Turrets.

C. Do not expand too far out.

Begin expanding on the planets IN YOUR SYSTEM. This way at the very worse you trigger a slightly aggressive species, but they will more then likely not attack you. If you expand too far out, your colonies are much harder to defend, and you are more likely to trigger other species into attacking you.

D. Remember, Money is Power

When you begin to roll in large amounts of money from Spice Trading and other sources of Income (Artifact Selling is a great source of early income), you will have lots of money to spend. Use this to create turrets for your colonies, and enhance your cargo slots, and terraforming abilities. Remember, you are playing the path of peace, not the path of war. Bribe your enemies to stave them off from attacking your nation. Money is power in this game. Without it, you are really nothing.

E. Continue to expand, but slowly

Do not over expand to the point where you cannot defend yourself. If you do this, you are asking for trouble. Early on, you will only be able to travel very short distances. You also are very vulnerable, and have weak weapons. You will at best be able to take on the lighter species and pirates. Do not go picking a fight with a large and powerful Empire. That's just asking for trouble. Stay within your small vicinity until you are ready to expand again. Remember, if you find that there are species attacking you constantly, go to their planet and try to establish communications and bribe them.

The path of the War Mongerer :

Coming soon, I'm currently on my way through the game a 2nd time already as an aggressive creature. I'll try and add more details as to how I was able to succeed in the Space Stage.

Offline Zamaza

• Bezerk Brawler
  • Daydreaming at Night
    • View Profile
Re: Spore Space Stage Guide
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2008, 04:33:41 pm »
Zam's Tips:

Economy-
Spice Colors mean different things to not only different empires, but different colonies, shop around before you sell.
Upgrades are not cheap, make sure to check with your neighbors for good deals. Warmongers often sell weapons the cheapest.
Items that have a number in the upper right corner on the buy screen (IE: 1) are consumable. That means you are buying a certain number of it. When it's used, it's gone unless you get more.

Terraforming-
You can click on the dots for each plant/animal and select it on a planet which has it. Be sure to scan it for later reference.
On unterraformed planets, clicking empty dots will flash items in your cargo hold which will fill that slot.
Some of the terrain modifiers can cause damage to units and cities if they're already built. (IE: Don't build a mountain on a city that exists).
The one use consumable terraforming tools are powerful and easy to get early on, but expensive. Unlock the reusable ones, they have better control.

Offline DarkDragon

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008, 04:39:57 pm »
I'm the Warmonger type and I've only visited 7 systems, instead of war I allied to 2 alien races which I plan to be... I mean, that are really helpful right now, I terraformed 2 planets to T1 and made 1 colony in each. Besides the occasional pirate attacking 1 of my colonies I have no trouble with hostile aliens, the space stage is heaven for me even though I was hostile to everything during the game except in the space stage :D
DarkDragon's Minecraft Survival Server (use this as the IP):

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

- The server uses a whitelist, if you're not on the whitelist (can't connect), PM me your minecraft name.

Offline superstartran

• Fire Truck Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2008, 04:51:53 pm »
Here's a tip for you War Mongerers.

Having trouble breaking through that pesky planet heavily defended by a huge fleet, 6 cities, and countless of static defenses? Sure, you could waste your time and slowly trod your way through. But an easier way is to just flat out wipe the planet out. But early on you can't do that right?! Wrong. With an atmospheric degenerator or two, you can easily just wipe the entire planet out. Sure, you lose the planet and about 4-5 cities, but hey! It get the job done!

Offline ballistic waffles

• Video Pinball Wizard
  • GASP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2008, 04:52:30 pm »
Zam's Tips:

Economy-
Spice Colors mean different things to not only different empires, but different colonies, shop around before you sell.
Upgrades are not cheap, make sure to check with your neighbors for good deals. Warmongers often sell weapons the cheapest.
Items that have a number in the upper right corner on the buy screen (IE: 1) are consumable. That means you are buying a certain number of it. When it's used, it's gone unless you get more.

Terraforming-
You can click on the dots for each plant/animal and select it on a planet which has it. Be sure to scan it for later reference.
On unterraformed planets, clicking empty dots will flash items in your cargo hold which will fill that slot.
Some of the terrain modifiers can cause damage to units and cities if they're already built. (IE: Don't build a mountain on a city that exists).
The one use consumable terraforming tools are powerful and easy to get early on, but expensive. Unlock the reusable ones, they have better control.
Potential weapon? ;D
Stop reading my signature

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2008, 04:53:13 pm »
guys, spoiler tag please!

Offline Prathik

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2008, 05:03:46 pm »

there wasnt any spoilers lol..

but yeah, apart from terraforming the hell outa an enemy planet.. are there any other ways to take it over? cause i suck at killing 6 cities.. >.>

Offline superstartran

• Fire Truck Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2008, 08:26:53 pm »

there wasnt any spoilers lol..

but yeah, apart from terraforming the hell outa an enemy planet.. are there any other ways to take it over? cause i suck at killing 6 cities.. >.>

uh, have good clicking skills? hahaha

allies do help out if you can get them to attack the other guy, they tend to be good distractions

If you do manage to get the mini-bombs at first, they actually do a decent amount of damage to less fortified cities, so you can wipe those out pretty easily. If all else fails, if you have a boatload of money, drop some machines of atmospheric death on them. Usually results in the destruction of most of the cities :)

You can't really take on the major cities without at least mid level weapons. It's just not possible. Also you'll need the health upgrades. Any major planet the enemy has, you're not going to be able to take over early on. However, you can take those planets with "one" colony. Instead of taking it, I just zap it into smithereens and pick up the extra chunk of 15k cash :)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 08:31:57 pm by superstartran »

Offline Ondaderthad

• Rigel Rescuer
    • View Profile
    • Area32 - Westgate Builders
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2008, 08:51:06 pm »
Excellent Guide. Thanks for that.

There is something that nobody mentioned yet. The Profession you start the Space phase as.
It is related to the way you played the previous phases ie. herbivore/carnivore, peaceful/aggressive etc..

You get a message just before launching your UFO and it unlock one of the Achievements.
This is public viewing as:
http://www.spore.com/view/achievements/Ondaderthad

My first game got me Warrior Passion (carnivore T-Rex very aggressive)
Second one I had Wanderer Passion (omnivore, sort of balanced on Easy setting)
and the third has Diplomatic Passion (herbivore, economics, Normal setting)

I believe there are 10 different professions (and an extra Badge for playing all of them) but there is no indication anywhere about what unlocks each profession.
It would be good to know how to play the early stages to achieve a specific profession.

I particularly want to play as an Explorer so what's the path to get it? Omnivore, Adaptable, Friendly, Religious ?

Offline superstartran

• Fire Truck Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2008, 09:01:10 pm »
I wouldn't know about that. But for an update for you War Mongerers.

As stated before, there's more then one way to take out a large colony. Another fun thing to do is to set your enemies into the Ice Age, or Lavafy their planet :)

But of course, you can do the quick ol' planet buster. But that's no fun.

Now, as a Warmongerer you have to be ready to strike quick, hard, and fast. If you have saved up some money from early "farming" (Economy building), you should have enough to continue to never really worry about making money. First, attack the smaller planets of your enemy. Remember, try to keep your enemies to a minimum, trying to fight 3-4 at the same time is near impossible. Zap off the smaller and weaker fleets, pick up the money, and destroy the weaker enemy colonies. Once you've collected enough money, buy a few atmosphere generators, and head out to the enemy "Capital" planet. You'll know it when you see it, as it'll have major cities everywhere that are heavily defended. Drop your generators, leave the planet, then come back. When you do come back, you will be surprised to see that many of the cities have been destroyed, and there will be may be one left that is mildly defended at this point. Take over, and wipe the enemy Empire out.

Once you have continued to dominate enemy Empires, you should have a substantial amount of money from conquering, stealing their cities, etc. Remember to constantly upgrade your weapons. One of the first allies you should make is an aggressive species, usually one that is a warmongerer. They have better ships that can help you, and sell war technology far cheaper. It's tough to get them to like you, but once you have one or two on your side, you're near unstoppable. If you finally managed to reach Mega Weapons, it's an easy breeze from then on. Your Mega Laser / Torpedos / Bombs / Pulse are more then a match for any enemy, along with your fleet of Warmongerers.

A key to the War like player, is that you are very dependent on enemies. Most of your resources will come from destroying enemy ships, colonies, etc Smaller colonies tend to yield around 15-20, I believe a Large colonies yields about 50k if you destroy it. I don't know for sure, but I know there's a pretty big difference. Raid your enemies colonies, and continue to defend any that he may attack. Remember, you should have one or two solidified alliances to help distract other pesky Empires. You cannot do this alone, despite the fact that your ship may have 10k health, a few planet busters, mega weapons, and the whole shabang.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 09:12:38 pm by superstartran »

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2008, 09:14:48 pm »
@Ondaderthad: maybe adaptive?

Begin expanding on the planets IN YOUR SYSTEM. This way at the very worse you trigger a slightly aggressive species, but they will more then likely not attack you. If you expand too far out, your colonies are much harder to defend, and you are more likely to trigger other species into attacking you.

I'm already planning on developing my own system before going interstellar, although if I absolutely have to in order to do something that I need, I will go interstellar before completely developing my own system. Perhaps abducting a few alien plants and animals along the way.

I don't really want to be a warmonger though.

Offline superstartran

• Fire Truck Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2008, 09:21:55 pm »
@Ondaderthad: maybe adaptive?

I'm already planning on developing my own system before going interstellar, although if I absolutely have to in order to do something that I need, I will go interstellar before completely developing my own system. Perhaps abducting a few alien plants and animals along the way.

I don't really want to be a warmonger though.

I found that I had alot of success by staying within my own region. At most I strayed maybe a system away. Slowly expand at first. If you try to jump too quickly you're going to get burrrrrrrrrrned. Badly.

Offline Prathik

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2008, 12:47:21 am »
Oh and one big tip.
IF you find ANY pink spice planets that don't occupy anyone.
TAKE IT!they are heaps valuable early on in the game. Even blue to a certain extent.

Offline nurizeko

• Battlezone Captain
  • Ske-RWOAWR! >:3
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2008, 03:06:04 am »
How can you claim a planet when the colony paks are consumable and you cant afford new paks because your so poor?, kind of defeats the purpouse TBH, I was expecting a bit more sandbox and a bit less mindless whatever you call those boring expand and conquer space games of yawn.

I'm not too happy about the impression I'm going to be forced to fight to, its really rather lame TBH, I don't mind fighting when I want to, but forcing me to fight if I don't when Spore is meant to be about pure freedom to do what you want, it kinda blows.

Offline Len84

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2008, 05:57:51 am »
Great guides guys! Keep the info going.

I somehow ended up as a Zealot in space. Taking over an enemy capital planet is the easiest thing. I just wait for Fanatical Frenzy to be charged. It converts the entire planet to your empire.
Job done :D

Isn't fun though haha!
I usually just slowly take over nearby star systems. If they're friendly i'll trade with them.
To do so I merely focused on my local star system and one nearby system.
I built a colony on my moon, which could only harvest yellow spice. Red spice is in abundance throught my other colonies. So I sell red spice to my moon colony for like $13,000 each. I make quick money that way. As I progressed I was able to upgrade my UFO to some rather nasty weaponry and planet skulpting tools. With this, I slowly and carefully expanded my empire. Saving up to buy the planatary defence for my key colonies. I used te Zealot trait to capture capital/home planets of my enemies. Then set up a planatary defence satalite. With each slow expansion i earn more money, more upgrades, and thus a safe and secure empire.
Pirates are now utterly pathetic. I doestroy their fleet in a matter of seconds, thanks to the $1,500,000 lazer lol
The only trouble I get is from one neighboring warmongering race. Which actually cause me problems on colonies I don't have any defences up. Need to save more money!

I've now wiped out a race! Great fun!
they started it.