Author Topic: 1/3 Of us are going to die soon. Nope, sorry, not joking.  (Read 15450 times)

Offline Psilontech

• Mystery House Madman
  • SCIENCE!!!
    • View Profile
1/3 Of us are going to die soon. Nope, sorry, not joking.
« on: October 21, 2005, 07:43:09 pm »
 Europe and Asia are ordering clampdowns on the movements of birds and people as the scare over avian flu intensifies.

One of Asia's busiest borders might be sealed if the deadly H5N1 bird flu starts spreading from human to human.

EU foreign ministers have declared the spread of bird flu from Asia into Europe a "global threat" requiring international action.

They issued a statement Tuesday saying bird flu posed a serious, global health threat if it shifted from birds to humans and one that required "a coordinated international reaction."

European Health Commissioner Markos Kyprianou told reporters that because the flu may be carried by migratory birds, other European countries could experience outbreaks.

A highly pathogenic form of bird flu, known as the H5N1, has led to the culling of tens of millions of birds in south-east Asia, but efforts to contain it have not prevented it spreading as far as the Ural mountains in Russia.

Carried by wildfowl, it spreads quickly among poultry flocks and has killed people living or working in close proximity to infected birds. Scientists fear the virus could evolve into a form which could be passed from human to human with catastrophic consequences.

David Nabarro, one of the most senior public health experts at the World Health Organisation, said outbreaks of bird flu, which have killed at least 65 people in Asia, could mutate into a form transmittable between people.

"The consequences in terms of human life when the pandemic does start are going to be extraordinary and very damaging," he said.

Last month Neil Ferguson, a professor of mathematical biology at Imperial College London, told Guardian Unlimited that up to 200 million people could be killed.

Rich countries are stockpiling anti-viral supplies. Britain announced in March that it was spending £200m on treatments for up to 14 million people. In July the government also said it would buy 2m doses of vaccine for key workers, though it will take around six months for it to arrive.

"A flu outbreak is imminent but no one knows if it will be next week or in three years' time. It is really difficult to know how many people will be infected but we know we have to get prepared."

Sixty people have been confirmed dead from the H5N1 virus. But experts say it is only a matter of time before a pandemic based on the current strain or a different one emerges, which could kill millions and cause widespread economic disruption.

P.S: I'd like everyone to cooperate and post the most important avian flu news here as it seems that the threat is very real and the community should know whats happening.

Fortunately there are a number of steps that every one of us can take to minimize the risks of an influenza pandemic to ourselves and our families.

And let's not kid ourselves...we won't be able to count on the government for help. Hurricane Katrina taught us that. If there's a bird flu pandemic, we'll need to be ready to fend for ourselves.

Keep Informed.
If and when the virus mutates so that it is being spread from human to human, it is likely to start in Southeast Asia. Pay attention to the news. When you hear that this has taken place, it's time to act. We might have two or three months before the pandemic reaches North America, but with international travel so fast and easy it could be much sooner.

Do not travel to areas where you know the flu virus is found.
The Center for Disease Control has a website that will give you this information. It's at http://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/fluactivity.htm

Prepare your Children for Homeschooling.
Most flu outbreaks get their start at schools. You can be certain that the schools will be closed. And even if they're not, you should give very serious thought to keeping your children at home.

Minimize Contact with Others.
The H5N1 avian flu virus can be transmitted for two days before a person is showing any symptoms and for a week after symptoms have disappeared. You never know who isn't and who might be infected.

Wash Your Hands.
Did you know that sneeze particles can travel across a room at 600 miles per hour? If the person sneezing has the flu, everything in that room is covered with flu virus. And when you touch anything, the virus is transmitted to your hand. Eventually it will be transmitted to your mouth. Your only protection is to wash your hands, well and often. Each washing should involve vigorous scrubbing with soap for at least 20 seconds.

Stock up on Food and Water.
Most supermakets only have enough food for about a week. It's critical that you stock up on enough food to last you for the duration which could be 3-4 months.

Update your Will.
Hopefully this won't be necessary but not all of us are going to survive.

Get a Flu Vaccination.
There is no vaccination yet for this particular strain of avian flu but a vaccination will give you protection from contracting any other flu which could weaken your system, making you more prone to fall victim to the dealier H5N1 strain.

Buy Enough Anti-Viral Medication for Every Member of you Family.
Currently the only drug that can help mitigate the effects of the avian flu virus is oseltamivir, otherwise known as Tamiflu. The world supply is very low, and not nearly adequate to provide sufficient protection for everyone, so you should stock up on this drug immediately. You can buy it online, but do your shopping because the price varies considerably. And once a pandemic strikes, it will be impossible to buy tamiflu at any price.

Life Insurance.
Make sure your life insurance is adequate, and check the fine print. Some policies have clauses that don't cover you in the event of a pandemic.

Stock up on face masks.
You will need to wear these when you absolutely have to come into close contact with others. It's likely that any public businesses or government offices that remain open will make it mandatory that you wear a mask before entering. Make sure that your mask has a rating of N100. The more common N95 masks will not give you enough protection. There is one mask -- the NanoMask® -- which not only blocks the H5N1 virus, but kills it as well.

Prepare a quarantine room.
If anyone in your family becomes stricken, he/she should be immediately moved to a location that is isolated from the rest of the house. This room should be as far away as possible and should be stocked with food and water, medical supplies, sanitation facilities, communication, cleaning tools, entertainment (books, radio, TV, etc.)

Communication.
There's a good chance that TV and radio stations will no longer be able to broadcast if there is a power failure in your area. A good quality battery operated radio, capable of receiving short wave stations will enable you to stay informed of developments in the outside world.

Power.
There could be an extended interruption to your electric power. You should consider alternative lighting and heating methods. Battery, propane, kerosine, and gasoline generators are possible options.

Protection.
New Orleans showed us how quickly civilization breaks down under catastrophic conditions. And that was mild in comparison to what we could be facing in a pandemic. The bottom line is this: most people won't take the necessary steps to prepare for disaster. And once it hits, they will be panic stricken. And they will do anything to try to save themselves. Which includes trying to take whatever you have that they might want.

You will need to have some means toprotect your family. If you own firearms, makesure you are stocked up with ammunition. Remember, you won't be able to call a patrolman if you find an intruder on your property.

Find a Place in the Country.
If you live in the city, you will be surrounded by anarchy. Catastrophes such as this always lead to civil disorder. If you can escape the city you will be much safer. If you don't have one, consider purchasing a trailer. If you can't afford it, consider a tent.

Spread the Word.
Regardless of how much coverage the avian threat is receiving in the media, most people are reluctant to act. Perhaps if they don't acknowledge the danger they think it will somehow go away. Or maybe they think the government will look after the situation.

Desperate, panic stricken people are arguably even dangerous than the virus. The more people surrounding you who are prepared for the pandemic, the safer you will be. You'll be secure in the knowledge that your neighbors won't be eyeing your resources. So please spread the word. And don't give up, even though you may feel like the voice in the wilderness. Eventually, if they hear it often enough, some people will take notice. And then they will also spread the word. And in this way we'll all be a little safer.

Whether or not it will happen this year, and whether or not it will be as catastrophic as many virologists are predicting, one thing is clear: There WILL be a pandemic of unimaginable proportions some time soon.

"Up to one billion people could die around the whole world in six months.... We are half a step away from a worldwide pandemic catastrophe." Dmitry K. Lvov, Director, D.I. Ivanovsky Institute of Virology, Russian Academy of Medical Sciences.

Whether or not it will happen this year, and whether or not it will be as catastrophic as many virologists are predicting, one thing is clear: There WILL be a pandemic of unimaginable proportions some time soon.

We can either bury our heads in the sand and hope it won't happen, or we can begin taking immediate steps to ensure that in a worst case scenario, we've given ourselves and our loved ones the best possible chance for survival.

Survive the flu. Updated information and survival advice at http://www.survivetheflu.com

"Whatever Febreeze can't fix, a gun will"

Offline sgore

• SunDog Pilot
  • Actually, Jeopardy is my second favorite game show
    • View Profile
Re: 1/3 Of us are going to die soon. Nope, sorry, not joking.
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2005, 07:58:47 pm »
 :( hm.....................(periods mean i'm thinking)......................................................................what makes you so sure it'll reach the US?
What meme is relevant right now? Look, just imagine I'm riffing on that. Updating signatures is exhausting.

Sam:The Ploofy Master

Offline Psilontech

• Mystery House Madman
  • SCIENCE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2005, 08:07:10 pm »
Have you SEEN our government?
What makes you think it WON'T?
"Whatever Febreeze can't fix, a gun will"

Offline Leng

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
  • !?!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2005, 09:44:15 pm »
i think anarchy would be fun!!

I have been told
not by one but two of my lovers
that I've got a heart of gold
but I'm unable to share it with others
They call me a poet who'll never have a poem
a tiger with no taste for bone
I'm the wonderful wonderful wizard who's waltzing alone

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2005, 03:11:06 am »
  hm.....................(periods mean i'm thinking)......................................................................what makes you so sure it'll reach the US?

SARS did, didnt it. I'm not all that worried, all of this is just hype, theres a new health scare every few years: BSE, SARS etc. none of those ever did become a pandemic or even an epidemic, wait a while and this thing will all blow over.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline retman

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2005, 03:36:05 am »
iam scared  :'(

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2005, 08:22:55 am »
You stand a higher chance of being hit by a car. So be very, very afraid! ;)

Offline PineappleTheHun

• Mystery House Madman
  • Explodablicious!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2005, 10:47:58 am »
You stand a higher chance of being hit by a TRAIN.
Phear
Quote from: Borogove
I try to think of what mother nature would have done if she suffered major brain damage.
Quote from: Gaming Steve
You are wrong.
Quote from: Legodragonxp
Starship Troopers 2 had only two things worth seeing, but she died early on

Offline Samog

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • objectivists are dumb
    • View Profile
    • -
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2005, 11:17:10 am »
The best thing to do in any situation is PANIC
"Fine. Don't believe me. I'm not lying. all your laziness which you mistake for something funney is driving me insane, quit fooling around!  dude this is just wrong, very wrong. reality does not consist of constrained language. go lock this thread malt. I love the payment."4MOD

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
  • Now for some real user power...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2005, 02:08:32 pm »
I work in a half-dozen hospitals and about 40 clinics, we are preparing, but quietly so as not to terrify everybody. This is not going unnoticed.

Oh, BTW, 1/1 (or 3/3 if you prefer) of us are going to die, give it time... and don't forget tot pay your taxes too.

"Why not tell people? They can handle it."
"A person is smart. People dumb, panicy, and ignorant and you know it."

-MiB

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2005, 02:18:53 pm »
Oh, BTW, 1/1 (or 3/3 if you prefer) of us are going to die, give it time... and don't forget tot pay your taxes too.

I'm not.

Offline mythicalmonk

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2005, 03:10:51 pm »
Woah.  I saw this on the news the other day but I thought it was hype.

Should I really prepare?

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
  • Life is worth much more than gold
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2005, 03:27:27 pm »
This kinda reminds me when sars was the next big diesies.

I don't think it will become that big of a problem, if it hasn't begun killing people in those very cwored asain cities yet I doubt it will.

Quote from: /lurk
PALM: Oh face, come closer. I've needed your touch since I heard that fundamentalist Christians were being stupid again.
FACE: Not again! Quickly Palm, come to me!

Offline Samog

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • objectivists are dumb
    • View Profile
    • -
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2005, 04:47:32 pm »
The last thing that made 1/3 of us all die quickly was the Black Death.
"Fine. Don't believe me. I'm not lying. all your laziness which you mistake for something funney is driving me insane, quit fooling around!  dude this is just wrong, very wrong. reality does not consist of constrained language. go lock this thread malt. I love the payment."4MOD

Offline Leng

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
  • !?!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2005, 04:57:14 pm »
this is clearly the illuminatti working us all into a panic.  my dad works at a hospital and it's clear someone wants the staff shaken so they can transmit their subconscious tension to the population at large.
I have been told
not by one but two of my lovers
that I've got a heart of gold
but I'm unable to share it with others
They call me a poet who'll never have a poem
a tiger with no taste for bone
I'm the wonderful wonderful wizard who's waltzing alone