Author Topic: Strata  (Read 8838 times)

Offline krjal

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
Strata
« on: March 23, 2005, 10:47:17 pm »
A little bit of recommended reading?

Strata is a kind of conceptual prequel to Terry Pratchet's Discworld novels.

It involves a highly advanced Human civilisation creating whole planets with various Strata machines (huge things that lay down islands and bedrock and mountains etc.)

While the plot is reasonably character based there is a fair amount of interesting sci-fi ideas that may have influenced Spore in some way or other.

Anyone here read it or remember it at all?

+++"Sometimes, when I look into the abyss, the abyss looks back" - [tmo]+++

Offline Scipion

• Stargate Superstar
  • Returned from the grave, now with more immunities!
    • View Profile
Re: Strata
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2005, 12:34:56 am »
*psst* wrong forum, they need to have a button that let's  you move your thread. That would be nice.
-Just like Gaming Steve all of my ideas, suggestions, and comments are merely edjucated guesses. These are based on prior experience and current released info.-

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2005, 12:38:25 am »
*psst* wrong forum, they need to have a button that let's  you move your thread. That would be nice.

Moved!
Check out Gaming Steve on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/thegamingsteve

Offline Scipion

• Stargate Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2005, 01:28:23 am »
Way to go! Le's hope krjal can find it :)
-Just like Gaming Steve all of my ideas, suggestions, and comments are merely edjucated guesses. These are based on prior experience and current released info.-

Offline krjal

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2005, 02:20:46 am »
Well, I found it!

Don't know if anyone else will though :-\

I put it in Spore because I only mentioned it in relation to the 'world buildingness' of it.

Oh well. So...has anyone else read or even heard of Strata?

Offline Zealousy

• Wizard of Wor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2005, 02:12:03 pm »
With the creation of the Books topic, looks like maybe this thread should be moved again!
What a crazy, mixed-up world. :)
I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather ... Not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car.
- Will Shriner

Offline Sensei Jinx

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2005, 08:17:12 pm »
Hm...I've never even heard of it.  :-\

Offline krjal

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2005, 11:49:07 pm »
Well, i'm certainly confused now.

I think you can just let this topic die.

Offline Zealousy

• Wizard of Wor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2005, 12:22:32 am »
Hahaha, poor krjal.

Your book summary reminds me of, well, Spore. I don't know the Discworld books though. Care to fill me in?
I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather ... Not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car.
- Will Shriner

Offline Scipion

• Stargate Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2005, 10:04:32 pm »
Diskworld, is full of fantasy-comedy adventures based on a giant disk that is on the back of four elephants, riding the back of a giant turtle swimming through space.

Offline krjal

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2005, 10:34:31 pm »
Lol!

That's really going to help him understand! :D You'd probably have to read one of the books to get any meaning out of it. They really are very strange.

Generally the Discworld (and other Pratchett novels) are marketed as kids books but they can really be a refreshing change if you're into heavier adult novels (try the Red Mars series, that's a real future-history sci-fi political-drama and terraforming book :P).

Offline Scipion

• Stargate Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2005, 11:11:03 pm »
Whoever markets them as kid's books should be linched....with barbed wire. I've read the Red Mars series, and it was very good. I recommend it too.

Offline Zealousy

• Wizard of Wor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2005, 12:21:45 am »
So if the turtle's in space... how do the elephants breathe, and where are they taking the disc? ??? ??? ???

So if I should read one to understand, do you recommend I start with Strata? If I read your 1st post correctly it acts as a prequel, right?
- Will Shriner

Offline Scipion

• Stargate Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2005, 02:25:50 am »
I reccomend starting off with The Color of Magic it's the very first book in the series. I haven't read Strata so I don't know how what it's about or if it's any good. I wuld just stick to reading them in the order that is listed at the beggining of each book. There's no telling where the different stories are in chronological order to each other, but all the books about the same characters are in a time line. They are seperated into charcter sets. There's Rincewind and the University Wizards, the Granny Weatherwax and the Witches, Colonel Vimes and the Watch, DEATH, and a few other's floating around.

the book Mort is my favorite followed by Pyramids and Eric.

Beats me why the elephants don't breathe, technically there's no atmosphere on Diskworld anyways (how could there be?). No one knows where the turtle is taking the Disk, it's one of the questions they bring up in the books.

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2005, 04:00:16 am »
Well, I found it!

Don't know if anyone else will though :-\

I put it in Spore because I only mentioned it in relation to the 'world buildingness' of it.

Oh well. So...has anyone else read or even heard of Strata?

I haven't read it but I might go check it out now.