Author Topic: Strata  (Read 8665 times)

Offline lemurbouy

• Defender Devotee
  • oh my...
    • View Profile
    • Leeman's Livejournal!
Re: Strata
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2005, 10:11:20 pm »
I've read Strata.  I wasn't blown away.  It's like watching a director's student film.  You can see where recognizable ideas are being formed but it's sloppy and I only really enjoyed it as a novelty.  It's not a bad book but if I read it before reading the Discworld Series, I would have been hesitant to read them but I didn't so I've managed to fall in love and read the entire thing.  If someone wants to start the Discworld series, I recommend Mort.  It's a complete story and has enough of Pratchett's standard writing style to see if you'll dig it.  Books to avoid until you've read a lot and enjoy the series are Colour of Magic, Light Fantastic, and Equal Rites.  Like Strata, they're a little rough and could turn you off.  It's good to eventually read them though.  Peace out Napoleon.  -leeman

Offline krjal

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2005, 01:41:41 am »
That's true. It's only a prequel in the sense that it was written before hand. It should really be read afterwards.

I agree that it has some very rough edges sometimes but the concept and characters were really the focus rather than any 'real' or 'perceived' plot.

Mort is a great one to start with but I think Equal Rites is okay as far as a starting novel goes.
+++"Sometimes, when I look into the abyss, the abyss looks back" - [tmo]+++

Offline Gandysampras

• Fishing Derby Champion
  • Spore - It's whatever you want it to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2005, 05:18:01 am »
Strata was a great read!

But i preferred The dark side of the sun by him even more!

Whats your fave Pratchett book Krjal?

Mines gotta be Night Watch!

Offline Mr. Consideration

• Goddess of Phobos
  • Merry Christmarx, one and all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2006, 08:14:21 am »
I've read it, very good book but your're right about it not being very "fleshed out". The ending is crap also.

My favourite Discworld is Nigh****ch , Thief of Time or Eric(which is funny but too short).
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone elses opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." - Oscar Wilde

Yes, I am aware of the irony.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2006, 08:07:26 am »
I've read it, very good book but your're right about it not being very "fleshed out". The ending is crap also.

My favourite Discworld is Nigh****ch , Thief of Time or Eric(which is funny but too short).
Everyone seems to love Nigh****ch... I have to say I did like it, but not as much as his other books. Lord Vetinari has always been an interesting character so i enjoyed the book in that respect... but I think the City watch books have recently begun to take on a very similar 'Vimes is worried that he might turn bad and has to juggle being a policeman and a father/husband' theme.

Anyhoo. Yeah, Strata was ok, but it was very rough. I liked The Dark Side of the Sun more.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2006, 10:36:47 am »
The thing about Nigh****ch is it is serious and it Explains why Vetinari is in power, and people's backgrounds. I loved that bok.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone elses opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." - Oscar Wilde

Offline lemurbouy

• Defender Devotee
  • oh my...
    • View Profile
    • Leeman's Livejournal!
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2006, 02:39:29 pm »
I loved it because it combined two of my favourite literary pieces: Les Miserables and Back to the Future.  Awesome stuff. -leeman

werechicken

« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2006, 06:54:20 pm »
A not bad read, but, I wouldn't reaad it a second time

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2006, 09:35:52 am »
OFF TOPIC: "Night-Watch"

This Chat filter is annoying me slightly.

Offline huggkruka

• Space Ace
  • Totally powers
    • View Profile
    • My Digitalart.org profile
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2006, 05:52:12 am »
Ah... t-wat. I didn't get that! Men at Arms is the greatest watch book in my opinion, and one of the best Pratchett book. That and small gods. I haven't read Strata or Dark side of the sun, but I will. I'm a recovered Pratchaholic.  :D

Offline Behumat

• Joust Warrior
  • Coruscant committee to fight urban sprawl
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2006, 08:38:34 am »
"Where's my cow?"
I was surprised to see this book in the store. I'm not ashamed to admit I stood there and read it in the aisle. If I had any kids, I'd even buy it for them, its not bad.

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2006, 03:44:44 am »
Is that my cow?
It goes 'Hruuuunngghhhh!!!!"
It's a Hippopotamus!
That's not my Cow!

Offline Naronto

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2006, 07:36:09 am »
I enjoyed them however I think they struggled in comparison to the discworld novels.
"The word 'politics' is derived from the word 'poly', meaning 'many', and the word 'ticks', meaning 'blood sucking parasites'. "
Larry Hardiman

Offline thegreatloofa

• Rally-X Roadster
  • Back by unpopular demand
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2006, 02:10:14 pm »
Anyhoo. Yeah, Strata was ok, but it was very rough. I liked The Dark Side of the Sun more.

Dittioed.

Without having read the first print of The Carpet People (Pratchett's first novel, later substantially re-written), I'd have to say that Strata is the poorest of his books with Thief Of Time being the best.