Author Topic: Strata  (Read 8672 times)

Offline krjal

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
Strata
« on: March 23, 2005, 10:47:17 pm »
A little bit of recommended reading?

Strata is a kind of conceptual prequel to Terry Pratchet's Discworld novels.

It involves a highly advanced Human civilisation creating whole planets with various Strata machines (huge things that lay down islands and bedrock and mountains etc.)

While the plot is reasonably character based there is a fair amount of interesting sci-fi ideas that may have influenced Spore in some way or other.

Anyone here read it or remember it at all?

+++"Sometimes, when I look into the abyss, the abyss looks back" - [tmo]+++

Offline Scipion

• Stargate Superstar
  • Returned from the grave, now with more immunities!
    • View Profile
Re: Strata
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2005, 12:34:56 am »
*psst* wrong forum, they need to have a button that let's  you move your thread. That would be nice.
-Just like Gaming Steve all of my ideas, suggestions, and comments are merely edjucated guesses. These are based on prior experience and current released info.-

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2005, 12:38:25 am »
*psst* wrong forum, they need to have a button that let's  you move your thread. That would be nice.

Moved!
Check out Gaming Steve on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/thegamingsteve

Offline Scipion

• Stargate Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2005, 01:28:23 am »
Way to go! Le's hope krjal can find it :)
-Just like Gaming Steve all of my ideas, suggestions, and comments are merely edjucated guesses. These are based on prior experience and current released info.-

Offline krjal

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2005, 02:20:46 am »
Well, I found it!

Don't know if anyone else will though :-\

I put it in Spore because I only mentioned it in relation to the 'world buildingness' of it.

Oh well. So...has anyone else read or even heard of Strata?

Offline Zealousy

• Wizard of Wor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2005, 02:12:03 pm »
With the creation of the Books topic, looks like maybe this thread should be moved again!
What a crazy, mixed-up world. :)
I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather ... Not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car.
- Will Shriner

Offline Sensei Jinx

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2005, 08:17:12 pm »
Hm...I've never even heard of it.  :-\

Offline krjal

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2005, 11:49:07 pm »
Well, i'm certainly confused now.

I think you can just let this topic die.

Offline Zealousy

• Wizard of Wor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2005, 12:22:32 am »
Hahaha, poor krjal.

Your book summary reminds me of, well, Spore. I don't know the Discworld books though. Care to fill me in?
I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather ... Not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car.
- Will Shriner

Offline Scipion

• Stargate Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2005, 10:04:32 pm »
Diskworld, is full of fantasy-comedy adventures based on a giant disk that is on the back of four elephants, riding the back of a giant turtle swimming through space.

Offline krjal

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2005, 10:34:31 pm »
Lol!

That's really going to help him understand! :D You'd probably have to read one of the books to get any meaning out of it. They really are very strange.

Generally the Discworld (and other Pratchett novels) are marketed as kids books but they can really be a refreshing change if you're into heavier adult novels (try the Red Mars series, that's a real future-history sci-fi political-drama and terraforming book :P).

Offline Scipion

• Stargate Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2005, 11:11:03 pm »
Whoever markets them as kid's books should be linched....with barbed wire. I've read the Red Mars series, and it was very good. I recommend it too.

Offline Zealousy

• Wizard of Wor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2005, 12:21:45 am »
So if the turtle's in space... how do the elephants breathe, and where are they taking the disc? ??? ??? ???

So if I should read one to understand, do you recommend I start with Strata? If I read your 1st post correctly it acts as a prequel, right?
- Will Shriner

Offline Scipion

• Stargate Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2005, 02:25:50 am »
I reccomend starting off with The Color of Magic it's the very first book in the series. I haven't read Strata so I don't know how what it's about or if it's any good. I wuld just stick to reading them in the order that is listed at the beggining of each book. There's no telling where the different stories are in chronological order to each other, but all the books about the same characters are in a time line. They are seperated into charcter sets. There's Rincewind and the University Wizards, the Granny Weatherwax and the Witches, Colonel Vimes and the Watch, DEATH, and a few other's floating around.

the book Mort is my favorite followed by Pyramids and Eric.

Beats me why the elephants don't breathe, technically there's no atmosphere on Diskworld anyways (how could there be?). No one knows where the turtle is taking the Disk, it's one of the questions they bring up in the books.

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2005, 04:00:16 am »
Well, I found it!

Don't know if anyone else will though :-\

I put it in Spore because I only mentioned it in relation to the 'world buildingness' of it.

Oh well. So...has anyone else read or even heard of Strata?

I haven't read it but I might go check it out now.

Offline lemurbouy

• Defender Devotee
  • oh my...
    • View Profile
    • Leeman's Livejournal!
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2005, 10:11:20 pm »
I've read Strata.  I wasn't blown away.  It's like watching a director's student film.  You can see where recognizable ideas are being formed but it's sloppy and I only really enjoyed it as a novelty.  It's not a bad book but if I read it before reading the Discworld Series, I would have been hesitant to read them but I didn't so I've managed to fall in love and read the entire thing.  If someone wants to start the Discworld series, I recommend Mort.  It's a complete story and has enough of Pratchett's standard writing style to see if you'll dig it.  Books to avoid until you've read a lot and enjoy the series are Colour of Magic, Light Fantastic, and Equal Rites.  Like Strata, they're a little rough and could turn you off.  It's good to eventually read them though.  Peace out Napoleon.  -leeman

Offline krjal

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2005, 01:41:41 am »
That's true. It's only a prequel in the sense that it was written before hand. It should really be read afterwards.

I agree that it has some very rough edges sometimes but the concept and characters were really the focus rather than any 'real' or 'perceived' plot.

Mort is a great one to start with but I think Equal Rites is okay as far as a starting novel goes.

Offline Gandysampras

• Fishing Derby Champion
  • Spore - It's whatever you want it to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2005, 05:18:01 am »
Strata was a great read!

But i preferred The dark side of the sun by him even more!

Whats your fave Pratchett book Krjal?

Mines gotta be Night Watch!

Offline Mr. Consideration

• Goddess of Phobos
  • Merry Christmarx, one and all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2006, 08:14:21 am »
I've read it, very good book but your're right about it not being very "fleshed out". The ending is crap also.

My favourite Discworld is Nigh****ch , Thief of Time or Eric(which is funny but too short).
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone elses opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." - Oscar Wilde

Yes, I am aware of the irony.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2006, 08:07:26 am »
I've read it, very good book but your're right about it not being very "fleshed out". The ending is crap also.

My favourite Discworld is Nigh****ch , Thief of Time or Eric(which is funny but too short).
Everyone seems to love Nigh****ch... I have to say I did like it, but not as much as his other books. Lord Vetinari has always been an interesting character so i enjoyed the book in that respect... but I think the City watch books have recently begun to take on a very similar 'Vimes is worried that he might turn bad and has to juggle being a policeman and a father/husband' theme.

Anyhoo. Yeah, Strata was ok, but it was very rough. I liked The Dark Side of the Sun more.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2006, 10:36:47 am »
The thing about Nigh****ch is it is serious and it Explains why Vetinari is in power, and people's backgrounds. I loved that bok.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone elses opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." - Oscar Wilde

Offline lemurbouy

• Defender Devotee
  • oh my...
    • View Profile
    • Leeman's Livejournal!
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2006, 02:39:29 pm »
I loved it because it combined two of my favourite literary pieces: Les Miserables and Back to the Future.  Awesome stuff. -leeman

werechicken

« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2006, 06:54:20 pm »
A not bad read, but, I wouldn't reaad it a second time

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2006, 09:35:52 am »
OFF TOPIC: "Night-Watch"

This Chat filter is annoying me slightly.

Offline huggkruka

• Space Ace
  • Totally powers
    • View Profile
    • My Digitalart.org profile
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2006, 05:52:12 am »
Ah... t-wat. I didn't get that! Men at Arms is the greatest watch book in my opinion, and one of the best Pratchett book. That and small gods. I haven't read Strata or Dark side of the sun, but I will. I'm a recovered Pratchaholic.  :D

Offline Behumat

• Joust Warrior
  • Coruscant committee to fight urban sprawl
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2006, 08:38:34 am »
"Where's my cow?"
I was surprised to see this book in the store. I'm not ashamed to admit I stood there and read it in the aisle. If I had any kids, I'd even buy it for them, its not bad.

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2006, 03:44:44 am »
Is that my cow?
It goes 'Hruuuunngghhhh!!!!"
It's a Hippopotamus!
That's not my Cow!

Offline Naronto

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2006, 07:36:09 am »
I enjoyed them however I think they struggled in comparison to the discworld novels.
"The word 'politics' is derived from the word 'poly', meaning 'many', and the word 'ticks', meaning 'blood sucking parasites'. "
Larry Hardiman

Offline thegreatloofa

• Rally-X Roadster
  • Back by unpopular demand
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2006, 02:10:14 pm »
Anyhoo. Yeah, Strata was ok, but it was very rough. I liked The Dark Side of the Sun more.

Dittioed.

Without having read the first print of The Carpet People (Pratchett's first novel, later substantially re-written), I'd have to say that Strata is the poorest of his books with Thief Of Time being the best.