Author Topic: Sporepedia: The "Most Popular Creations" issue  (Read 3855 times)

Offline Necrox

• Venture Conqueror
  • Underwater Civs For President!
    • View Profile
    • Lupus Photo
Sporepedia: The "Most Popular Creations" issue
« on: September 05, 2008, 05:35:12 am »
Pretty much ever since the sporepedia website was launched, the "most poular" has remained the same. I see a really big problem with this, because I see this as being an inaccurate inflation caused by overexposure. It reinforces itself, because more people see them since they are shown on every single user page, and therefore thousands of people see and vote for them every day, giving them an unfair advantage towards other content. Not even the featured creatures are likely to catch up because they have such a huge number of votes already and creations are only featured for a few days.
In other words they only REMAIN the most popular, because they WERE the most popular at one point in a distant past.

No disrespect intended, but I don't honestly think any of those 4 would be there now if they hadn't been from the start.

The result of this is that we have 4 ok creatures being set as the post poular ones, when every day creators push the boundaries of the editors and come up with amazing content, which COULD easily become the most popular, if given a fair run.

This is an opening for a debate to get some ideas flowing to how we can resolve this issue. Some ideas the devs will hopefull look over.
Discuss :)

My own thoughts:
Basically I think the concept is flawed due to the above mentioned points of concern. Below is my own suggestion for a possible solution, let's hear more :)

"This Week's Most Popular Creation" - Only count votes from one week, and then make a new appointment every monday (example). A single creation cannot be elected more than 1 week per month. It's not much different than "Featured Creations", except it's the users voting (so to speak) instead of the devs/admins choosing.

If this was implemented, they'd need to only count votes from the date it was implemented and forwards, otherwise these same four would just pop up again every 4 weeks for the next 6 months.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 05:41:03 am by Necrox »

Offline econundrum

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
Re: Sporepedia: The "Most Popular Creations" issue
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2008, 07:46:01 am »
I think you have a point Necrox I think only allowing a creation to be shown in the list for one week is probably the best solution.
"The direct use of force is such a poor solution to any problem, it is generally employed only by small children and large nations."

David Friedman.

http://www.spore.com/view/profile/econundrum

Offline SporeKevin

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008, 12:03:26 pm »
I suggest waiting until after the 'real' release of Spore to all regions and a week or so after that passes, because everything before that is basically beta testing.   If around that time the website or in-game sporepedia is still not showing more realistic things (popularity of creatures that are 'liked' more or whatever), then, well, we blame Caryl Shaw!  : )  (Since she reads this forum and is the focal for that area as I understand it, lets point fingers *points at her). 

More seriously, it's a work in progress at this point, so some silly things like most popular getting stuck on 2 month old creations are likely to fade away soon.   Knock on plastic.

Offline aligon

• Tron User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2008, 12:13:01 pm »
Yeah I see what you mean. I always kind of ignored the most popular section myself because it always did seem to display the same stuff. Your "most popular this week" idea would seem a little more fair and intelligent.

As Inevitable as Life Itself. Spread the Joy.

My Sporepedia page:
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Aligon

The Agnoculus:
http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=7619.0

Offline Zamaza

• Bezerk Brawler
  • Daydreaming at Night
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2008, 12:31:26 pm »
I think that's why featured tends to be more interesting, a lot more variety and changes more often. I really would like to see a change in how most popular is shown.

It's be nice to have something like "Creature of the month" or something too. Maybe something like on the community page, where they ask the creator "how'd you come up with this?" "What were you thinking when you made it?" ect and go a little more behind the creature to the person. Maxis seems to really like the community model, it'd be nice to get more to the players and they're creatures too.

On that note, they could do "featured artists" I guess too. However, unless this is magically picked by someone at Maxis, I could see this abused for favoritism.

Offline Parkaboy

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
    • My Sporepedia Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2008, 10:28:38 am »
Well, you guys kind of got your wish. Now the "most popular" widget on the profile pages actually shows the four "Most popular new" creations, wich means it will change periodically, possibly daily.

So I'll take this opportunity to make a campaign. I made this airship just yesterday:

Link: http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=ast-500136452269%3Asast-500136452269

It got a blue face quickly and is currently in the first page of the "Most Popular New" creations. I would love to see it among the four "Most popular", even if just for one day. So if you like it, click the link and give it a thumb up!  ;)

Offline Lippy

• Galaga General
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2008, 11:47:42 am »
I made it green for you.   ;D

Offline Parkaboy

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
    • My Sporepedia Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2008, 01:15:12 pm »

Thaks! Just 3 more positions to go and it will reach the top 4! That goes to show the power of the GS community!

And BTW, congrats to Rhinoxe. His Sibilant has been in 3rd place all day, and now got featured!

Offline Blulightning

• Bezerk Brawler
  • Radioactive Kitty!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2008, 01:25:37 pm »
They changed something else as well.
When you click on a featured or most popular content, the voting buttons don't appear.

If you wish to vote on those things, you have to go through the sporepedia and search them by regular means.

Offline immortius

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2008, 12:45:51 am »
If you wish to vote on those things, you have to go through the sporepedia and search them by regular means.

Or just close the detail pane, then hit back in your browser. Still annoying though.

Offline TDKenyon

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
    • Neu Age
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2008, 07:54:39 pm »

Or just close the detail pane, then hit back in your browser. Still annoying though.
I don't think this is annoying, I think it's wise. If it's already featured, they don't need more up-votes. People who up-vote a featured creation just make it more difficult for other creations to get featured.

Offline Rhinoxe

• Boot Hill Bandit
  • The Klown Prince of Creation
    • View Profile
    • My Sporepedia Creations
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2008, 11:27:43 pm »

Thaks! Just 3 more positions to go and it will reach the top 4! That goes to show the power of the GS community!

And BTW, congrats to Rhinoxe. His Sibilant has been in 3rd place all day, and now got featured!

Thanks Parkaboy!  ;D

~Rhinoxe~

Offline immortius

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2008, 12:27:14 am »
I don't think this is annoying, I think it's wise. If it's already featured, they don't need more up-votes. People who up-vote a featured creation just make it more difficult for other creations to get featured.

I might agree, except this isn't a feature of entering via the popular/featured creation lists. This happens whenever you enter Sporepedia with a direct link to a creation, even if it has no votes.

Offline TDKenyon

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
    • Neu Age
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2008, 08:48:54 am »

I might agree, except this isn't a feature of entering via the popular/featured creation lists. This happens whenever you enter Sporepedia with a direct link to a creation, even if it has no votes.
Ah. Well then it may still be a good feature/glitch. You have to really like something to want to take the time to go back and forth to vote :P