Author Topic: Spore won't start up (SOLUTION)  (Read 128544 times)

Offline berrymanalope

• Breakout Battler
    • View Profile
Re: Spore won't start up (SOLUTION)
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2008, 05:26:46 am »
i had a simular problem, in when it failed to respond at start up, i had to uninstall move the files from the disk into my electronic arts folder and then install ontop of that

Offline thexpostmanx

• Pong Paddle
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2008, 08:27:10 am »
I've read some threads and it seems people can't log in. My problem is worse than that, though.. the game won't start, at all! I've installed it, and I don't know if it's Vista or the game is bugged, but when I try to play it, nothing happens. Screen doesn't even go blank or anything, no indication of having clicked the shortcut at all, except the computer starts making a lot of noise.

Anyone know what could be causing this? I mean, even if the servers are down I should still be able to play offline or at least get to the login screen, right?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: So, what I had to do to get it to work was go to SporeApp, click properties and just check the box to run it as administrator. There have been several other solutions for fixing this problem, though, like creating new user accounts or running Spore in safe mode.

Ok i searched everywhere and couldn't find someone with the same problem as me until i got here! you install it but theres no evidence of that right? then when you insert the disc or try to run it you cant cuz nothing happens... I got mine to work so try clicking through this : (My) Computer> Hard Drive (usually (C:)> Program Files> Electronic Arts> SPORE> sporebin> then double click the "SPORE APP" file and wait a minute it should run. good luck!

Offline SL

• Missile Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2008, 09:09:02 am »
I also have XP, am the administrator on my computer, have more than adequate hardware, up to date drivers, am begrudgingly running only one GPU (what's up with THAT?), and I've tried these things so far:
  • Starting in Safe Mode
  • Started the game and walked away and let it run for a while
  • running without EADM, and while signed in and out of EADM
  • Reinstalled the game 3 times, and restarted numerous times

And yet absolutely nothing happens when I start the game.  "SporeApp.exe" runs in the background, and if I try and run it again i get error "Another instance of this game is already running [1000]" which makes sense.

The *only* reaction I've gotten is when I right click on the Spore icon, go to "Run As..." and select "Current User" and leave the "Protect my computer and and data from unauthorized program activity" I get a pop-up from Spore saying "Could not write license data.  Contact customer support".  However, if you uncheck the program activity box, it runs the program and nothing happens as usual (except for the background task).

Has anyone with XP been able to work around this?  I haven't contacted EA support yet, but that'll be my next move and I'll report back if they can give me a functional workaround.

Perhaps the problem is SecuROM? Try right clicking the SporeApp exe and look for an option that has SecuROM in its name. It's something to diagnose problems or something like that, IIRC. See if something like that is there and, if it's there, see if it says anything useful. It might be able to spam a complaint, er, I mean send a report, to Sony (the makers of SecuROM), too. (I read about this in another thread on another forum the other day but don't remember the specifics, sorry)

Or, if that's not useful, to see if the problem is SecuROM, you could try using a "patch" to remove it from Spore. I haven't seen anyone here say whether it's legal, or where it's safe to go to get one, however (as in, where you won't also be in danger of getting a trojan on your computer if you're using IE and/or haven't got the latest windows updates, etc).
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 09:10:43 am by SL »

Offline Verkinix

• Brain Games Mastermind
  • SelfControl is the Greatest Power We Have. Use it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2008, 03:47:59 pm »
I have that issue myself. I figured out a little bit about it that might be of help. When I would run the game (even in admin mode) it wouldnt actually load. It would just hang. So I opened task manager (cntl alt del) and found the processes running. I found that sporeapp.exe would get to about 14000 K and just stop. It actually needs to get to 28000 (or more, I havent paid that close attention) before it actually loads. So, I would run the game, watch the task manager and see where spore hangs. I would then end that process and start it again. Usually 2-3 attempts will allow it to work.

Further issues may have been caused by conflicts with my AV software. SecuROM and TrendMicro dont seem to like eachother much. TM has been going crazy since I installed spore and spore has been having issues starting up when TM is running. I have added sporeapp.exe to exception list, but that doesnt seem to help. Now, forwhatever reason, the game runs with the AV software, but I'm not sure what I changed to "fix" it.

Also, I am running spore in windows xp sp2 compatibility mode. It seems to run better that way.

I hope this helps.

Offline Phanatic62

• Pong Paddle
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2008, 04:27:31 pm »
Perhaps the problem is SecuROM? Try right clicking the SporeApp exe and look for an option that has SecuROM in its name. It's something to diagnose problems or something like that, IIRC. See if something like that is there and, if it's there, see if it says anything useful. It might be able to spam a complaint, er, I mean send a report, to Sony (the makers of SecuROM), too. (I read about this in another thread on another forum the other day but don't remember the specifics, sorry)

Or, if that's not useful, to see if the problem is SecuROM, you could try using a "patch" to remove it from Spore. I haven't seen anyone here say whether it's legal, or where it's safe to go to get one, however (as in, where you won't also be in danger of getting a trojan on your computer if you're using IE and/or haven't got the latest windows updates, etc).

I think you're referring to Right click-> Launch Analysis.  This appears to create a log file of your system specs that you're supposed to email to support@securom.com.  I'll try sending them an email, and I'll send one to EA detailing my problems.  There seem to be a lot of people having at least some problem with Spore, so it's any bodies guess as to when they'll actually get back to me.

Offline ambahr

• Pong Paddle
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2008, 08:34:14 pm »
Hi, all.

I had the same problem with my game, and I happened across this forum. I run XP Pro SP3, again with more than adequate specs, and this issue happened *after* I had run the game a few times, which I thought was pretty weird.

I tried all the usual fixes, as have been elaborated here already, but then I noticed the 'run as admin' that Necrox posted the other day, and after some minor poking, discovered how to do that in XP, and that it works for me.

What you need to do is right-click on the Spore shortcut, go to Properties, and under the Shortcut tab there should be an Advanced button. When you hit that, it'll open up a window with two options (the second one is grayed-out in mine). The first option, though, is to 'run with different credentials'. (Alternately, you could just right-click on the shortcut and select Run As...) Even though I'm an admin, when I run the program 'with different credentials' and log in as myself, it works every time, though I have to use the second option, to run as 'the following user', and put in my username. Don't ask me why it works this way, but it does.

Offline Phanatic62

• Pong Paddle
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2008, 09:02:00 pm »
I figured out why I couldn't play, and I feel dumb because I should have realized this before.  While I *am* the admin on my computer, I didn't use a password to sign on.  Every time I tried to do the "Run As" a user or start the same way ambahr suggested, I couldn't run it as the admin or my logon since I didn't have a password.  Finally I entered one and sure enough Spore started up just fine.  I'm a tad annoyed that I need to enter a password now, but it's way better knowing that I don't have a systemic issue preventing me from playing.

Necrox, since you already have a post addressing issues regarding the "Spore won't start" problem in the sticky thread, would you mind adding this to your post as a potential XP fix?  I think that thread would be best served with a small number of posts. 

Thanks to everyone for their help, and I hope anyone else with this problem can find an answer here.

Offline Necrox

• Venture Conqueror
  • Underwater Civs For President!
    • View Profile
    • Lupus Photo
« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2008, 02:33:48 am »
Yep I will do :)

I've only just read this now, it's good to know it works in XP too, though really it shouldn't happen. This IS a problem with spore I hope the devs are looking at. There should be no reason for it demanding to run as an admin.

Offline jestah

• Breakout Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2008, 12:40:30 am »
While I *am* the admin on my computer, I didn't use a password to sign on.  Every time I tried to do the "Run As" a user or start the same way ambahr suggested, I couldn't run it as the admin or my logon since I didn't have a password.  Finally I entered one and sure enough Spore started up just fine. 

i have the same problem with my spore. ive tried every suggestion here, yet no change. i think its the run as solution as it makes the most sense. but, i dont have a password for my Administrator account. i have a password for my standard account (my name), which is an administrator account, yet this standard account has no effect on spore. is there a way to find the Administrator account and put a password to it? ive been all through User Accounts looking for a solution. i cant even create a new admin account called "Administrator" as it says there is one existing.

thanks

Offline Necrox

• Venture Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Lupus Photo
« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2008, 12:58:29 am »
Well assuming you have XP the admin account is available when you log into safe mode (reboot > F8 after POST > Safe Mode), you should be able to add the password from there.
I'm not certain if it will solve anything but worth a shot I guess.... just don't ever freakin' forget that password. Dead serious here.

Offline jestah

• Breakout Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2008, 01:14:43 am »
yeah, sorry forgot to mention i had XP, not Vista. i just tried it, safe mode, and put a password to the Administrator account. nothings changed. however i also forgot to mention b4 that i have tested this on 2 other PC's at my Uni and it works fine. it does not work on either my laptop or pc both running XP SP2, same as the Uni PC's.

oh its taking up about 32,000K while idle in the processes tab. a little different to previous responses.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 01:20:50 am by jestah »

Offline Necrox

• Venture Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Lupus Photo
« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2008, 01:31:55 am »
yeah, sorry forgot to mention i had XP, not Vista. i just tried it, safe mode, and put a password to the Administrator account. nothings changed. however i also forgot to mention b4 that i have tested this on 2 other PC's at my Uni and it works fine. it does not work on either my laptop or pc both running XP SP2, same as the Uni PC's.

oh its taking up about 32,000K while idle in the processes tab. a little different to previous responses.

Just don't install it anywhere else now. Remember that the DRM limits you to install it on 3 different machines, so if it's been launched and activated on the 2 Uni ones you only have one install left for a home PC.
(if you weren't aware of that then please don't start a DRM derail here, there's a million threads for that)

Is EADM launching OK as well? And is it connecting? Maybe your firewall is blocking something?
Could be worth stripping startup programs from MSCONFIG to see if it's a software conflict/blocking since it works fine elsewhere.

Offline jestah

• Breakout Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2008, 01:54:02 am »
ok thanks. ill try stripping back programs, see if there is a conflict. the EADM works and connects. just the sporeapp.exe doesnt launch for the program. ive even tried it on a machine with no install and just the system files (a la portable) at Uni as a test. Worked there, but nothing at home.
thanks for your quick responses.

Offline Necrox

• Venture Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Lupus Photo
« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2008, 02:09:47 am »
No prob mate, let us hear how it turns out.

Offline jestah

• Breakout Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2008, 02:38:56 am »
i got it workin! i just turned off all the services that arent required. i wont worry about finding out which one it is. ill just turn them all off when i want to play. thankyou for your advice with MSCONFIG. probably a last resort solution though, as it disables anything non essential, but a solution none the less!

thanks again