Author Topic: Spore won't start up (SOLUTION)  (Read 85914 times)

Offline KorDe

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
Spore won't start up (SOLUTION)
« on: September 04, 2008, 01:05:47 pm »
I've read some threads and it seems people can't log in. My problem is worse than that, though.. the game won't start, at all! I've installed it, and I don't know if it's Vista or the game is bugged, but when I try to play it, nothing happens. Screen doesn't even go blank or anything, no indication of having clicked the shortcut at all, except the computer starts making a lot of noise.

Anyone know what could be causing this? I mean, even if the servers are down I should still be able to play offline or at least get to the login screen, right?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: So, what I had to do to get it to work was go to SporeApp, click properties and just check the box to run it as administrator. There have been several other solutions for fixing this problem, though, like creating new user accounts or running Spore in safe mode.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 05:31:47 pm by KorDe »

Offline Zamaza

• Bezerk Brawler
  • Daydreaming at Night
    • View Profile
Re: Spore won't start up
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2008, 01:08:41 pm »
Hmm, did you install the EADM or not?

May have to try official support o.O

Offline KorDe

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2008, 01:10:10 pm »
I did install it just fine. Last I checked the official site was down, too :/

Offline Behumat

• Moon Patroller
  • Coruscant committee to fight urban sprawl
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2008, 01:14:14 pm »
Could be a program conflict. Did you remember to uninstall the creature creator before installing spore?

Offline Zamaza

• Bezerk Brawler
  • Daydreaming at Night
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2008, 01:17:06 pm »
I don't know if it's the Mac I played on or what, but it took a good minute to start up and there was no "loading screen" or swirly pinwheel. Have you tried restarting the computer, telling it to run, and then letting it sit for a minute or two? (restart to make sure it's not already trying to run - or find it in your task manager)

Offline KorDe

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2008, 01:20:15 pm »
1. Yeah, I uninstalled the CC before installing.

2. I've restarted the machine and re-installed the game multiple times, even let the computer sit for a good while after clicking the icon and so far nothing works. The offical support page just tells me to update my drivers, and they are already up to date..

Edit: Getting kind of desperate here, after having waited since the faithful 2005 GDC for this thing and now it refuses to work :p Ugh..
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 01:23:54 pm by KorDe »

Offline Behumat

• Moon Patroller
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2008, 01:24:55 pm »
After you click the icon, and it starts doing nothing, are you seeing the program in your computer's task manager? (Ctrl-Alt-Del)

Offline KorDe

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2008, 01:26:27 pm »
Nope :(

Offline KorDe

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2008, 01:32:59 pm »
I'm on a laptop btw, in case that makes a difference.. And I do exceed the minimun requirements by a LOT.

Offline zodester

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2008, 01:34:38 pm »
try running the program as administrator
simply right click and that option should be available if you are admin

Offline Behumat

• Moon Patroller
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2008, 01:38:10 pm »
Hmmm, ok, I did a little searching on the net, and I found a guy with a similar problem. His worked fine, and then after he changed his screen resolution settings it wouldn't work anymore. He had to uninstall, say yes to deleting all the files, then reinstall to get it to work. Another person got it to work by running it in safe mode.
So, I reccommend first going to the shortcut, and editing the command line. Just right click, go to properties, and edit the command line to add -safe.
If that doesn't work, uninstall everything, selecting yes when it asks you if you want to delete all files. Then change your screen settings, reinstall and give it a whirl.
Let me know if it works out. :)

Offline KorDe

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2008, 01:44:09 pm »
So I'd have to change my screen settings and ruin the awesome 18"4 display? :P

Anyway, thanks for all the help, I'm going to grab some dinner now and will report back with the results (that doesn't mean I don't want you to keep posting suggestions while I'm away for the 10-15 min though ;D)

Offline KorDe

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2008, 01:55:54 pm »
Uh, I'm sorry but I'm terrible with all sorts of technical mumbo-jumbo, what command line? o.O

Offline Behumat

• Moon Patroller
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2008, 02:07:38 pm »
Thats alright, it took me awhile to learn all this stuff too, usually by trying to get various video games to work. lol. ;D
The command line is the line that tells the computer what to do, specifically start the spore game by running the execution file, probally something like Spore.exe (I don't know, I don't have the game yet) The icon for the spore game on your desktop and in your start menu isn't the actual execute file, its just a link. So when you click on it, the command file tells the computer where to look for the file, which is in the Spore program files, and which file to run, i.e. spore.exe.
I use Vista at home, but I'm working with XP here at work, so I'm not sure exactly what the terminology is, but going by XP:
You right click on the icon, choose properties. You should get a box with several tabs, look for one that says shortcut. On that tab will be information about the file the icon runs. On XP the line you want is Target, and if we're lucky its the same on vista. Scroll to the end of that line, which will be in "", and add -safe. Can't remember if its supposed to be inside or outside of the quotation marks though. Hmmm. Might have to try it both ways.

Offline KorDe

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2008, 02:30:17 pm »
Thanks a bunch. I tried it but it really didn't do anything. I also tried reinstalling the thing and deleting all the files, again, nothing. I'm messing with my screen settings next :l

Edit: Actually, seems that changing the resolution really isn't a good idea with this screen. Everything becomes unreadable if it's anything else than 1920 by 1080 :S
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 02:32:46 pm by KorDe »