Author Topic: First thoughts... or "How space stage killed Spore"(Spoilers!!!!!)  (Read 44361 times)

Offline SporeKevin

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
Re: First thoughts... or "How space stage killed Spore"(Spoilers!!!!!)
« Reply #60 on: September 04, 2008, 07:15:14 pm »
Hopefully you have the (or a major) answer to it.   Still sounds like it needs adjusting in a patch given what happens for 'easy' difficulty games.  Can others who are seeing similar comment?

We really need a chocolate creature or creature crown we can award those who make major achievements in the forum (note this one is pending, so dont open that wrapper, Tr0n!).

Offline Fobok

• Fishing Derby Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 04, 2008, 07:27:26 pm »
If that is the problem, it's disappointing. Diplomacy is one of the things I was looking forward to.

Maybe just delaying making the alliance until you have a good financial foundation to buy out hostile aggressors might help.

Offline Dasmike

• Fire Truck Driver
  • Check out dasmike on Sporepedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 04, 2008, 07:30:00 pm »
Is there a possible solution to this in the game code itself?
"I trod on the neck of the King of Babylon like a steppu-stool, and received the officers of the temple of Marduk before me in chains, making supplication to me. I took from Babylon ten talents of gold and a thousand talents of silver. I took the gods of Babylon, and placed them in the house of Ashur. I overthrew the King of Babylon, and placed on his throne the lowliest of my slaves."

Offline outlander_biz

• Microvision Master
  • Muwahaha (evil laugh, shh don't tell anyone)
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 04, 2008, 08:05:34 pm »
honestly, i think alot of people are finding space too difficult because they are used to rushing through the first 4 phases, and think they can just gallivant off to the center of the universe right out the space door, and thats just not true, you have to slow down and take your time, make contact with other species slowly one at a time try no to get overwhelmed.  if you take your time, expand your empire via spice trading or trade routes, and go out of your way to gather a few badges some good tech becomes available to you and you can become a force to be reckoned with in the game.
I believe in compulsory cannibalism. If people were forced to eat what they killed there would be no more war

Offline sameek

• Pong Paddle
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 04, 2008, 08:18:21 pm »
Maxis did say your choices from the start reflect the end much much more then you'd think... I think they said this alot...

I would however love it if they learned a few things from the x series. Spore space stage would be awesome with micromanagement of multiple units and the ability to separately control space ships alla x series style. Even sub-ufo types would be cool, different classes and sizes of crafts would be sweet.

Offline code2501

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 04, 2008, 08:21:17 pm »
honestly, i think alot of people are finding space too difficult because they are used to rushing through the first 4 phases, and think they can just gallivant off to the center of the universe right out the space door, and thats just not true, you have to slow down and take your time, make contact with other species slowly one at a time try no to get overwhelmed.  if you take your time, expand your empire via spice trading or trade routes, and go out of your way to gather a few badges some good tech becomes available to you and you can become a force to be reckoned with in the game.

When I hit space it made me think back to a WW interview...

He said something like all stages up to space being tutorials, and that the game was not realy linear, it was T shaped... with the early stages being linear and space opening it up to horizontaly. I think that was a fairly apt description, you dont really progress up in space stage, but out, to potentially thousands upon thousands of stars and player made species..

Offline rayofash

• Fishing Derby Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 04, 2008, 08:29:31 pm »
GOOD GRIEF THE STUPID PLANET PROTECT HAPPENS EVERY 5 SECONDS!

This has to be a bug. One time it happened on my home planet 3 times in a row! I defeat the UFO's and once I enter orbit IT'S ATTACKED AGAIN! And while that was happening pirates were invading my other planets!

Wow! Not to mention space battles are incredibly annoying pixel-hunts. Trying to click the enemy ships when they're flying at the speed of light is just annoying. The only pheasable way to fight enemies is to just get a fleat.

Other than this, poor camera controls, and lack of depth during the other stages the game is pretty great.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 08:39:27 pm by rayofash »

Offline deathc4

• Microvision Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 04, 2008, 08:31:37 pm »
Im playing on hard, and went Herb/Peaceful.

I only ever defended myself in Tribe phase, didnt kill anyone in Creature. Used religion in Civ phase and still every bloody alien hates me and im getting attacked by pirates and 3 other species ever 3 god damn minutes.

3 years of waiting for a "game" thats as deep as a kiddy pool with the game play of a watered down MMO and a broken end game. Words seriously cannot express my disappointment. The technology behind the "game" is amazing, but this seems more like a damn tech demo than a game.

But hey, if you like doing the same thing 3 million times but with different colored dirt/tree, then this "game" is going to blow your socks off.

Offline vbGamer

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 04, 2008, 08:33:50 pm »
I'm surprised at how much space warfare seems to be in this game. It seems like it's turning into more of a Space Colonization/TradeWars game with an evolution sidegame (if you consider that the first stages are just the tutorial, and something you could finish within an hour, compaired to the expected (up to) 67 years they mentioned once in a SPORE demo.). Looking at some screenshots and SPORE video feeds, all of those network of colored lines in space look a little confusing, too (I'm guessing it's colored coded to the color of spice?).

I remember one demo Wil Wright gave, he said you could let the game run for maybe 9 hours while you're sleeping, and watch (let) a planet evolve or something. If other species decide to randomly attack you, then that'll leave you nothing to look forward to 9 hours later. I'd really rather spend time exploring, populating planets, creating planets and playing as those creatures on that planet (or at least, watch them) than running around the galaxy fighting space pirates while being outnumbered 10 to 1.

Offline Hectonkhyres

• Scramble Skipper
  • Transcendent Agony
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 04, 2008, 08:38:42 pm »
He said something like all stages up to space being tutorials, and that the game was not realy linear, it was T shaped... with the early stages being linear and space opening it up to horizontaly. I think that was a fairly apt description, you dont really progress up in space stage, but out, to potentially thousands upon thousands of stars and player made species..
Except that eye witness testimony suggests that such levels of expansion would never be feasible, even if they were theoretically possible. With one ship (plus a few semi-useful coattail rider allies for cannon fodder) a player wouldn't be able to defend more than a few handfuls of systems... no matter how hard he tries to juggle his ships around. Turrets and the odd defense satellite don't seem like enough even to keep your homeworld safe while you go exploring and you can't get enough money to keep things running without constantly checking up on every little colony.

Don't get me wrong. I pray that I am wrong... but things don't look too wide and wondrous from here.

Offline rayofash

• Fishing Derby Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 04, 2008, 08:41:09 pm »
Except that eye witness testimony suggests that such levels of expansion would never be feasible, even if they were theoretically possible. With one ship (plus a few semi-useful coattail rider allies for cannon fodder) a player wouldn't be able to defend more than a few handfuls of systems... no matter how hard he tries to juggle his ships around. Turrets and the odd defense satellite don't seem like enough even to keep your homeworld safe while you go exploring and you can't get enough money to keep things running without constantly checking up on every little colony.

Don't get me wrong. I pray that I am wrong... but things don't look too wide and wondrous from here.
You're not wrong, this is it exactly. I only have 3 colonies and I'm CONSTANTLY having to defend them. Plus then my allies want me to defend THEM as well! I have no time for missions or terraforming or ANYTHING, it's all just Missile Command!

And the worst part is is that if you choose not to do anything the colony is then destroyed and you have to work up the money to build it again.

Edit: Don't get me wrong, the game is amazing, I'm just frustrated right now.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 08:50:52 pm by rayofash »

Offline code2501

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 04, 2008, 08:42:38 pm »
Re: fortify your solar system first...
The space "intro/tutorial" quest line sends you out of the solar system about 10 minutes after you enter space stage. And they tell you to colonise another planet...which is sometimes barren, and as such a crap choice for a colony.

Someone posted that they think an "agro-trigger" is alliances. which makes sence because if you do something to someone else then your relationship is affected with all there friends too.

I Imagine that currently if you are hostile to one species you are getting -10/-20 relationship with there friends and this has a chain-reaction effect. Maybe that number needs to be tweaked in easy/normal mode, to something like -1/-2, so you still make them unhappy over time, but dont create a lynch mob as soon as you shoot down one spaceship.

Offline code2501

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 04, 2008, 08:48:45 pm »

You're not wrong, this is it exactly. I only have 3 colonies and I'm CONSTANTLY having to defend them. Plus then my allies want me to defend THEM as well! I have no time for missions or terraforming or ANYTHING, it's all just Missile Command!

And the worst part is is that if you choose not to do anything the colony is then destroyed and you have to work up the money to build it again.

Then read the post up there^^^

Someone with a live feed has 70+planets and is not being attacked constantly... there is some trigger thats causing it and it IS posible to expand. like I posted elsewhere, if the issue is caused by NPC-NPC-Human alliance interactions then they probably need to reduce the negative relationship penalties by a large factor.

Offline Zamaza

• Bezerk Brawler
  • Daydreaming at Night
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 04, 2008, 08:52:27 pm »
I've got 14 star systems, many with multiple planets, and I only occasionally get pirates...

It was bad at first, but then I killed the 2 warmongers attacking me and it got quiet except the occasional pirate.

Having several allied UFOs is nice.

Offline Fobok

• Fishing Derby Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 04, 2008, 08:54:10 pm »
I hope it is something like that, that would be a relatively easy fix I'd think. It's probably just changing some numbers in a data file somewhere.

If it's actually some trigger in the AI code, though, then it'll probably take longer to fix.

Then again, even if it is an easy fix, the way EA makes them do patches, if it's anything like Sims, they'll probably wait to put a bunch of fixes and stuff in just to make the effort worthwhile.