Author Topic: A serious discussion about mods  (Read 9770 times)

Offline smurfslayer

• Centipede Crackerjack
    • View Profile
A serious discussion about mods
« on: September 03, 2008, 03:13:38 pm »
I saw some people talking about it in another thread so I figured the topic was important enough to warrant its own topic. Lets get right down to it, there are a lot of people who are downright disappointed by Spore. I have not played the game yet and I do not yet have an opinion on the matter but there seems to be a fairly group who are not pleased with the game. So, this leads to the important question: Will Spore be moddable and, if so, to what degree? If Caryl or someone else could answer this question, that would be awesome. Of course, Spore itself is almost a modding tool of sorts considering you make all the content, but I'm talking about actually messing with gameplay mechanics and such. I've known plenty of crappy games that have been fixed by mods and even good games too. Oblivion for example, I loved but the game was very flawed, however when played with the right mods all of its flaws are fixed. Hopefully things will be similar with Spore.

And if we can't mod the game, then the only question I have to ask the dev team is: Why the hell not?

Offline Veraal

• Zelda Zealot
    • View Profile
Re: A serious discussion about mods
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2008, 03:14:27 pm »
yeah, isn't caryl around here somewhere?

if she'd tell us something about this, i'd be overjoyed.

Offline SporeForSure

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2008, 03:37:42 pm »
Wouldnt get my hopes up.

They worked quite hard to get all the content creation tools (Editors) shrinkwrapped into the game because they didnt want users to have to use third party tools (like for Sims).

But it would be cool if you could get an editor later on, maby for example some LUA scripting, solar system editor and stuff like that.
”It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring” (Dr. Carl Sagan)

Offline KL0k

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2008, 03:42:17 pm »
gamemechanic-wise it shouldnt be that hard since we already know a few details out of the editors files. so theres probably the capability to mod it, even if its just some basic stuff or cheating the way through .. so something like changing some varibles and the like.

Offline Plank of Wood

• Final Fighter
  • Ka-Boom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2008, 03:44:27 pm »
Oblivion for example, I loved but the game was very flawed, however when played with the right mods all of its flaws are fixed.

Example 2: Medieval 2: Total war. It had bugs and bad design up the ass, but stainless steel pretty much fixed most of the issues.

I don't want 3 years of my life wasted by a few bugs and a bit of rushed gameplay mechanics. I also don't want the "Awesome stage" ruined by constant attacks either. If I am going to make it impossible for enemies to attack me because I want to play the damn game for what it was supposed to be then I WILL do it.
the real saviour of this forum

Offline Gooey Kablooie

• Phoenix Fighter
  • Ummmm, nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2008, 03:58:04 pm »
I think in a past interview they stated that it is possible to mod Spore but it will just be very difficult...
but seeing as how big of a fan-base spore has I'm pretty sure some really computer savvy people out there are going to release some excellent mods for spore :)

Offline Lucky

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2008, 04:00:46 pm »
In my experience, if people want to mod a game, they'll figure out a way.

On the Spore side, we're looking at how we can make some data available to people via XML or RSS so they can do interesting things.

And that's all I can say about that.  :-)

Offline Fobok

• Fishing Derby Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2008, 04:04:59 pm »

On the Spore side, we're looking at how we can make some data available to people via XML or RSS so they can do interesting things.

Glad to hear that. :) Not much of a modder myself, but I just love seeing what people come up with.

Offline KL0k

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2008, 04:35:13 pm »
yay. thats cool.

Offline smurfslayer

• Centipede Crackerjack
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2008, 04:56:57 pm »

That's exactly what I wanted to hear. Thank you.

Offline Praetyre

• Space Invaders Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2008, 05:07:49 pm »
I actually have a concept for a modification myself. I think it would depend on what Spore's files are enclosed in. Best case scenario, it's XML, but it's damn near certain you'd muck up the online component a bit.

Offline SporeForSure

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2008, 05:55:27 pm »
I actually have a concept for a modification myself. I think it would depend on what Spore's files are enclosed in. Best case scenario, it's XML, but it's damn near certain you'd muck up the online component a bit.

The CC was PACKAGE files (archive files containing other files, for example XML files, Graphics files, Mp3 filers etc), just like Sims2 used. I tried loading those files into SimPE, but they didnt load and SimPE crashed. Guess someone could take a look at the fileformat and make a similar editor with some help from Maxis.
”It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring” (Dr. Carl Sagan)

Offline WesHowe

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
    • Custom Sims 3
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2008, 07:49:42 pm »
The Spore game files are DBPF V2 files. Similar to The Sims 2 files, but different enough to make them unusable in SimPE.

They (the .package files) contain data in many different formats, and they are compressed together like chapters in a book and stuffed into a common disk file. Some of the data formats are scripts, and include many commands with syntax just like that used in The Sims 2. Some, like the Creature file itself, are XML based. The texture and mesh formats are quite different, and specific to Spore.

It is quite possible to disassemble and reassemble the archives, tools already exist and can be ofund with a little research. What is not well known is how changes to the scripts and creature files affect game play, in part because with only the Creature Creator to play with, many possible changes are untestable. While the Aussies have the game already, others (such as myself) don't expect to see it until next week.

<* Wes *>

Offline Myshuno

• Zork Emperor
  • WAHOOOO!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2008, 07:57:27 pm »
people have leaked the game and broke the drm thing, i think theyll be able to figure how to mod the parts.
Right on

Offline Spore-addict

• Kaboom Boomer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2008, 08:44:34 pm »
Hi wes howe

Guess there is another project here! ;-)

Would be awsome to find all those files and how to change them.

**** sporepedia if we can get it to work without sporepedia then who cares about it. We could easy download a big creature package for the computer then play without sporepedia in the same way.

Ohh it of course is something the hacking groups will look into since they want sporepedia to be useless and not worth using.
Master Raytracer Spore-addict = KarmaCowboy

See you out there, feel free to comment my creatures.