Author Topic: In-game achievements  (Read 4058 times)

Offline WeAreLegion

• Wolfenstein Wunderkind
    • View Profile
    • Noigel's Art
Re: In-game achievements
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2008, 08:20:50 am »
Ok wait...is there any solid proof that there is only 45,000 stars?  I mean the screen does not show that achievement and there is a vast difference between:

- "SEEN IT ALL!" - Visit all 45,000 stars in the game

- "WOAH...THAT'S BIG!" - Visit 45,000 stars

See the difference?  Using the word all changes things a bit.  Can we have a screenshot of the achievement or maybe a Maxis lurker to reply? :)

Offline Necrox

• Venture Conqueror
  • Underwater Civs For President!
    • View Profile
    • Lupus Photo
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2008, 08:25:54 am »
Ok wait...is there any solid proof that there is only 45,000 stars?  I mean the screen does not show that achievement and there is a vast difference between:

- "SEEN IT ALL!" - Visit all 45,000 stars in the game

- "WOAH...THAT'S BIG!" - Visit 45,000 stars

See the difference?  Using the word all changes things a bit.  Can we have a screenshot of the achievement or maybe a Maxis lurker to reply? :)

I believe it was from a Maxis interview that figure orginally came. I don't think I ever saw it myself, I just saw it referenced here on the forum. I'll see if I can find it.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 08:27:41 am by Necrox »

Offline econundrum

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2008, 08:30:12 am »
Phew I thought I'd heard that figure was starting to wonder though if I plucked it out of my @rs#.

Well anyway any volenters to count them when we have the game?

I played GC2 on Immense the other day it takes a stupid amount of time just to explore the galaxy and that's with a few hundred stars so I'm fairly sure 45,000 is going to seem near infinite in practical terms.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 08:46:27 am by econundrum »
"The direct use of force is such a poor solution to any problem, it is generally employed only by small children and large nations."

David Friedman.

http://www.spore.com/view/profile/econundrum

Offline azareon

• Microvision Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2008, 08:33:06 am »
I believe it was from a Maxis interview that figure orginally came. I don't think I ever saw it myself, I just saw it referenced here on the forum. I'll see if I can find it.
It was in a recent Jenna Chalmers interview.  Hopefully that helps a little.  I think she did say the number of stars is an estimate though.

Offline WeAreLegion

• Wolfenstein Wunderkind
    • View Profile
    • Noigel's Art
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2008, 09:03:45 am »
It was in a recent Jenna Chalmers interview.  Hopefully that helps a little.  I think she did say the number of stars is an estimate though.

Well millions vs. 45,000...I would not want the one who messed that estimate up working for me! :P

X-Spore has a thread just about the number of planets/stars, they seem to be wanting to know how many are in game as well heh.

Offline Necrox

• Venture Conqueror
  • Underwater Civs For President!
    • View Profile
    • Lupus Photo
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2008, 09:18:47 am »
LUCKY! We need you! :P

But yeah. On a tangent, I know a lot of people here has only nice things to say about Jenna, but the only thing I could think when I saw a couple of interviews she did was "There's a woman who got a half an hour briefing on what Spore is for the first time yesterday, and has been sent out to feed the hungering masses". She just seemed like she wasn't very sure of anything at all. I'm willing to grant that it might just have been how she came across (to me) in those particular ones.

Offline Ondaderthad

• Rigel Rescuer
    • View Profile
    • Area32 - Westgate Builders
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2008, 09:23:28 pm »
It's hard to tell how many stars there are.
In creature stage looking at the sky at night you can see 100's as well as local moons and planets and comets. AND they are moving around.

In space you can only see your local system at first then zoom out and see more, then zoom out and see too many to count. (I only have 6 arms and 4 fingers on each hand)

But either there are 4500 or 45,000 or 4.5 millions doesn't make much difference when you are playing.

It's just Huge.

Offline Classeye

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2008, 10:48:00 pm »
well, if there isn't a hard number lying around, we could always count the stars the old-fashioned way....

or maybe just read the code for the number of stars.