Author Topic: Opinions of someone how has played spore for a night.  (Read 10665 times)

Offline Phoresis

• Breakout Battler
    • View Profile
Opinions of someone how has played spore for a night.
« on: September 03, 2008, 01:44:55 pm »
Oh dear, doesn't look very positive  :-[

http://www.shacknews.com/laryn.x?id=17832597#itemanchor_17832597

My copy arrives tomorrow too. Starting to wonder if I've made a mistake buying this one. What do you guys think?

Offline DarkDragon

• Altered Beast
    • View Profile
Re: Opinions of someone how has played spore for a night.
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2008, 01:46:28 pm »
I'm loving it from the beginning (half-way through creature phase right now). Make your own opinion, this is certainly a game for people who like science and/or are creative.
DarkDragon's Minecraft Survival Server (use this as the IP):

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

- The server uses a whitelist, if you're not on the whitelist (can't connect), PM me your minecraft name.

Offline Plank of Wood

• Civilization Emperor
  • Ka-Boom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2008, 01:47:48 pm »
* Plank of Wood slaps

GET A HOLD OF YOURSELF MAN. THE REVIEWS DO NOT EFFECT ANYTHING EVER.
You're in my way, sir.

Dude, you're dreaming that you're a pony.  I don't care how good the show is.

Offline Conflict

• Video Pinball Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2008, 01:48:43 pm »
Dont make a decision on what you read from other people. This is your expierence. I'm halfway trough tribal at the moment and trying to balanced (economic) and I have had alot of fun so far and really, the big part of the game hasnt even started yet. :)

Offline Myshuno

• Zork Emperor
  • WAHOOOO!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2008, 01:50:42 pm »
* Plank of Wood slaps

GET A HOLD OF YOURSELF MAN. THE REVIEWS DO NOT EFFECT ANYTHING EVER.

EVER!!!
Right on

Offline Behumat

• Moon Patroller
  • Coruscant committee to fight urban sprawl
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2008, 01:54:10 pm »
Hmm, from what I read of his review, it sounds like he played the game kill kill kill, rushing through everything, and not taking the time to really explore the creative elements. Kind of like the gamer who plays WOW, grinding and camping to get the best gear, never reading any quest descriptions, never trying out the crafting, etc. Now, I'm not knocking that play style, I'm just saying that if true, I can understand why he/she didn't really get anything out of the game. Its just not the type of game that would appeal to a person with that kind of gaming mindset. I think spore is the kind of game that would better appeal to those who play and enjoy games like  Civilization, the Sims, and RPG's. Gamer's like that tend to look for and enjoy the creative elements found in games.

Offline KL0k

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2008, 01:55:14 pm »
i think those bad reviews are good aswell, in the meaning of starting the game not overhyped and ending up completly disappointed.

Offline DarkDragon

• Altered Beast
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2008, 01:56:20 pm »
Every bad review I've seen is from someone who played the game on hard and attacked everything they saw moving.
DarkDragon's Minecraft Survival Server (use this as the IP):

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

- The server uses a whitelist, if you're not on the whitelist (can't connect), PM me your minecraft name.

Offline smjjames

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2008, 01:57:18 pm »
Hmm, from what I read of his review, it sounds like he played the game kill kill kill, rushing through everything, and not taking the time to really explore the creative elements. Kind of like the gamer who plays WOW, grinding and camping to get the best gear, never reading any quest descriptions, never trying out the crafting, etc. Now, I'm not knocking that play style, I'm just saying that if true, I can understand why he/she didn't really get anything out of the game. Its just not the type of game that would appeal to a person with that kind of gaming mindset. I think spore is the kind of game that would better appeal to those who play and enjoy games like  Civilization, the Sims, and RPG's. Gamer's like that tend to look for and enjoy the creative elements found in games.

I didn't read that, but from what you are saying, it sounds like a few other reviews we have seen. In other words, don't rush through killing everything on sight.

I agree with DarkDragon as well.

Probably the basic lession to be learned from these is to take it easy when playing the game as Spore is meant to be something that is best enjoyed by walking through it, like hiking along a trail, rather than running through a game.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 02:02:45 pm by smjjames »

Offline WeAreLegion

• Wolfenstein Wunderkind
    • View Profile
    • Noigel's Art
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2008, 01:58:58 pm »

Hey I take offense!  I play WoW and I spend lots of time enjoying the world, the story, ect!

Honestly I do! :)  And I am not mad really.

I think that is a thread through all the negative reviews, they seem to think this is a traditional game you 'beat'.  I am curious to see what some of us here like Hydro think...creative types who think outside the box.

Offline Plank of Wood

• Civilization Emperor
  • Ka-Boom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2008, 02:01:38 pm »

Hey I take offense!  I play WoW and I spend lots of time enjoying the world, the story, ect!

We found a witch! May we burn him?
You're in my way, sir.

Dude, you're dreaming that you're a pony.  I don't care how good the show is.

Offline whistlinjoe

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2008, 02:03:56 pm »
I'm not sure what these guys were expecting.  I've seen a few of the same types of commentaries other places.  The game is about creativity and interaction.  Not about finishing.

I have yet to see any of these people that have 'finished' the game in '5 hours' or so mention anything pertaining to the well known story arch.

C'mon, seriously... designed every creature stage, all your outfits, a sea vehicle, a land vehicle, an air vehicle, every building type, your national freaking anthem, your very own spaceship, AND explored every stage on HARD in 5 hours???

« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 02:06:32 pm by whistlinjoe »

Offline Veraal

• Prince of Persia
  • That's Ariel. Ho ho.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2008, 02:05:20 pm »

why'd you read the text anyways? it's just a load of bs, really.

infact, why play wow at all?

on reflection i could just ask why don't people stop breathing.

anyway, i bet my nostrils that spore will be a mediocre game.

i'm not saying i hate it, i've not played it yet, but still, i won't have any high hopes for it after all these years.

but i do hope it'll be some underdog game with not so many players, so there's a higher quality of content and not just master chief or elves and tie fighters.

i hope yahtzee will review it, just for fun.

Offline morphian

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2008, 02:08:13 pm »
Indeed, I think its a 'marmite' thing - love it or hate it.

Personally, I'm exicted but also worried it won't live up to how it is in my head. And all this talk of unbalanced space-phase is getting me worried, heh (although I'm sure either Maxis will patch or someone will find the settings file for it ;))
See my evi...erm, not evil, honest..creations at:
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Hephaestus

Offline morphian

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2008, 02:09:24 pm »
i hope yahtzee will review it, just for fun.

Heheh, I thought he'd do it this week, to be fair, given its been out in Australia for about a week by now ;) But that Eve online review was good too ;)
See my evi...erm, not evil, honest..creations at:
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Hephaestus