Author Topic: Opinions of someone how has played spore for a night.  (Read 10663 times)

Offline Captain Indigo

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
Re: Opinions of someone how has played spore for a night.
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2008, 02:19:09 pm »
i hope yahtzee will review it, just for fun.

Heheh, I thought he'd do it this week, to be fair, given its been out in Australia for about a week by now ;) But that Eve online review was good too ;)

He'll make a penis monster joke, say there's not enough depth, make another penis monster joke, use a three-minute long metaphor and then sum it all up as a masterpiece, albeit flawed.

^^Click^^

Offline greyarea

• Mystery House Madman
  • Chobox isn't happy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2008, 02:38:30 pm »
We found a witch! May we burn him?

If he weighs the same as a duck, by all means!
A gamingsteve sporecast :)  (not comprehensive at all!)
http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=ssc-500012824849

Offline Plank of Wood

• Civilization Emperor
  • Ka-Boom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2008, 02:39:17 pm »

Good! We will use my larger scales.
You're in my way, sir.

Dude, you're dreaming that you're a pony.  I don't care how good the show is.

Offline vbGamer

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2008, 06:33:50 pm »
I watched someone's live spore stream the other night where they were playing peacefully (their creature went around charming everyone). It did look long and tedious. True, if they could charm everyone 100% of the time, that wouldn't be too fun, either. It also seems like your brain grows after a set amount of time (?) - I really don't want to be rushed when I want to take my time slowly evolving my creature. When creatures lay eggs, evolution (brith) seems instanteneous - not like when Wil Wright was showing off the game and creatures tried to attack his eggs (maybe the guy was playing on easy).

From what I've read, and seen, I'm also concerned about the space stage. I don't want to be so preoccupied with trading spice, or defending a territory, that I don't get to experiment on planets (will I even be able to play as one of those creatures? That's a big question for me.).

I've been watching this game since GDC 2005, however, my interest has very, very slowly waned as they started toning things down (GDC 2005 graphics look so nice compared to the cartoonish graphics - and there's apparently no modding capabilities!), removing things, etc. I'm almost at the point where I might as well wait a year for expansion packs, or rent/borrow the game from someone to see what it's like before I buy it.

Offline LadyM

• Doom Space Marine
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2008, 06:44:08 pm »
I really think everyone should not read the reviews and play the game and decide for yourself. What's boring to one is exciting for another. I haven't waited 3 years for naysayers to talk me out of what I believe to be a good game. I'll decide that when I play and from the 3 hours I did play, I can't wait to play more.
Rules-LadyMpire-YouTube-Twitter
Starbound and Minecraft server: ask me

Offline Pinstar

• Centipede Crackerjack
  • Your friendly neighborhood Teralyte
    • View Profile
    • The Legacy Challenge
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2008, 06:46:52 pm »
I really think everyone should not read the reviews and play the game and decide for yourself. What's boring to one is exciting for another. I haven't waited 3 years for naysayers to talk me out of what I believe to be a good game. I'll decide that when I play and from the 3 hours I did play, I can't wait to play more.

Thats the spirit LadyM!

And if you find the game start to get dry, you play some challenges for it. That extended the life of The Sims 2 for me far longer than it would have without. *nods*
Creator of the Legacy Challenge

Visit my spore page!
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Pinstar
Ratings and comments on all my creatures are always welcome!

Visit my Minicity
http://pinstar.myminicity.com

Offline leanbarton

• Mystery House Madman
  • CrushYoMind in Sporepedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2008, 06:59:25 pm »

Actually you lower him into a pond, tied up and gagged. If he drowns, he's not a witch.

Offline Gooey Kablooie

• Phoenix Fighter
  • Ummmm, nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2008, 07:08:13 pm »

Actually you lower him into a pond, tied up and gagged. If he drowns, he's not a witch.
I think they were referring to a Monty Python scene?
and I agree with Behumat this game just isn't for that players style
Will Wright has said time and time again is that a large part of the game is having a personal attachment to your creature and other creations and this player obviously didn't have that...whereas I've been hooked on a creature I made a long long time ago

Offline WeAreLegion

• Wolfenstein Wunderkind
    • View Profile
    • Noigel's Art
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2008, 07:09:27 pm »

Well said...better then I tried to say in another thread at least!

Offline Ondaderthad

• Rigel Rescuer
    • View Profile
    • Area32 - Westgate Builders
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2008, 12:49:05 am »

I agree.
For example I never liked The Sims but I still think it's a good game. Just doesn't fit my tastes.

Offline Cobra

• Dune II Spice Harvester
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2008, 01:29:31 am »
Honestly I can see this guys problem and it is what you have all said if you rush this game you will hate it. As a carnivore toward the end of the creature stage does start to grind lucky its only right near the very end of it. batling does fill like your playong WoW the screen is a cluster F word of you pack versus your enemies pack fighting and I found I dont even look at it as I'm too busy watching for when the cool down on my attacks is up so I can attack again.

Herbivore peaceful route I enjoyed far more yeah sure you may fail the mini game involved but when battling as a carnivore you fail plenty to which means having to spawn back at the nest which means treking out to find more to fight again. Failing social just means try another member of the species or a different species altogether. Plus the game is visually much more instead of consentrating on watching the timer on the cool down running out you watch the procedual animation of creatures dancing and posing etc.

In the end play it your way like all Will Wright games set your own goals it's far more fun that way.

Offline Classeye

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2008, 02:11:44 am »
i hope yahtzee will review it, just for fun.

Heheh, I thought he'd do it this week, to be fair, given its been out in Australia for about a week by now ;) But that Eve online review was good too ;)

He'll make a penis monster joke, say there's not enough depth, make another penis monster joke, use a three-minute long metaphor and then sum it all up as a masterpiece, albeit flawed.

I think Yahtzee creates some of his reveiws in advance and Spore hasn't been out in Austrailia THAT long, plus he gets his games from The Escapist may or may not have picked up his copy with the early Aussie rush.

Also mind that Yahtzee only reveiws games that either get too much hype, or not enough (or that people keep pestering for him to reveiw).

Yahtzee will probably only make mention of the wang-monsters only once, referring to people that make them, and possibly once more when he runs into one. Still, I have a feeling he'll simply talk about how it's more of a toy than a game lacking the depth of any one genre but having really comprehensive creation tools that allow him to stick it to god.

Offline Loerelau

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2008, 03:36:23 am »
I did not play as long as I wanted to play, but until now I like it a lot. In creature phase the world is big, it is cool to just wander around and enjoy the surroundings. I just started tribe and I have to get used to it a bit, but I think I will like it... It is totally what you expect of the game. To quote Will Wright, you have to make your own story... If you don't have the imagination then its not fun...

Offline Fobok

• Fishing Derby Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2008, 03:46:16 am »
It sounds to me like Spore is aimed at us Explorer and Socializer gamers. The achievers and (maybe) killers may find the game lacking. I find this refreshing, as it's kind of opposite to most mainstream games.

(See this to see what I'm talking about.)