Author Topic: Unable to connect to licensing server for initial Spore install on a Mac  (Read 30853 times)

Offline kuninobu

• Fire Truck Driver
  • Your evil, cruel and totally handsome Emperor!
    • View Profile
Great, I just got Galactic Edition in the mail, put it in my Mac, installed fine!
I start the game, insert my serial code, but then it says it can't contact the licensing server, and that I should check my internet connection.

WHAT THE HELL IS THIS?? Is this because I got the game a day before release? (I live in Sweden)..

This really stinks...
« Last Edit: September 07, 2008, 10:07:42 am by kuninobu »

Offline econundrum

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
Re: Game doesn't work!
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2008, 07:52:09 am »
Well it could be although it sounds like others have managed to activate it. Of course there could be some activation server outages today in preparation for the first official release in some areas tomorrow and the day after.

Try again in a bit, make sure you internet connection is good, etc. But really you have no right to expect the game to work the day before it's release it shouldn't after all officially be on sale yet.

"The direct use of force is such a poor solution to any problem, it is generally employed only by small children and large nations."

David Friedman.

http://www.spore.com/view/profile/econundrum

Offline Necrox

• Venture Conqueror
  • Underwater Civs For President!
    • View Profile
    • Lupus Photo
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2008, 07:52:42 am »
Have you checked that your firewall isn't blocking the game so it can't contact the server? Either software firewall or hardware firewall in a router.

EDIT: Also my favourite Swedish word is "branväg" ^^
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 07:56:15 am by Necrox »

Offline econundrum

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2008, 07:53:52 am »
Have you checked that your firewall isn't blocking the game so it can't contact the server? Either software or hardware firewall in a router.

You took the words right out of my mouth. I was just about to add that ;)
"The direct use of force is such a poor solution to any problem, it is generally employed only by small children and large nations."

David Friedman.

Offline kuninobu

• Fire Truck Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2008, 07:56:50 am »
Have you checked that your firewall isn't blocking the game so it can't contact the server? Either software or hardware firewall in a router.

Doesn't seem like it, maybe the servers are not overwhelmed.. or may not be up yet :/

Offline Necrox

• Venture Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Lupus Photo
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2008, 08:01:50 am »

Doesn't seem like it, maybe the servers are not overwhelmed.. or may not be up yet :/

Aye. You may have to sit tight for a bit. I'd try disabling all secrurity for a bit though, and test it. Perhaps run in safe mode with networking, if the game will start there - just to attempt the registration. Just remember to turn it all on again :)

Hehe yeah when you'd posted at the same time as I tried to, I was surprised to see that you hadn't in your post ^^

Offline econundrum

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2008, 08:02:47 am »

Well anyway hope you manage to get it activated soon I think some people have managed to activate it previously so hopefully just a temporary thing.

David Friedman.

Offline kuninobu

• Fire Truck Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2008, 08:08:56 am »

Aye. You may have to sit tight for a bit. I'd try disabling all secrurity for a bit though, and test it. Perhaps run in safe mode with networking, if the game will start there - just to attempt the registration. Just remember to turn it all on again :)

Hehe yeah when you'd posted at the same time as I tried to, I was surprised to see that you hadn't in your post ^^

Run is safe mode? How do I do that with the mac? :P

Offline econundrum

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2008, 08:10:16 am »
You take you MAC out to the bin throw it inside and buy a PC........

Just kidding ;)

Although maybe that's the difference maybe the MAC & PC versions use different activation servers and your isn't up yet...

David Friedman.

Offline DarkDragon

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2008, 08:11:10 am »
Well, they were updating their site today so it might be that.
DarkDragon's Minecraft Survival Server (use this as the IP):

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

- The server uses a whitelist, if you're not on the whitelist (can't connect), PM me your minecraft name.

Offline econundrum

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2008, 08:12:35 am »
Well, they were updating their site today so it might be that.

True, I'd forgotten that. Although is the activation server part of that or is that a server run by the Securom people?

David Friedman.

Offline Necrox

• Venture Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Lupus Photo
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2008, 08:14:16 am »
Run is safe mode? How do I do that with the mac? :P

Well if you had a newer Mac you could be running a system with dual boot via bootcamp, so you just install it under your Windows OS ;)
Hehe but honestly though, I missed the Mac bit in your first post :P

Offline DarkDragon

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2008, 08:32:03 am »
I just installed it on Windows and my Firewall asked for permission for Spore, so I allowed it to connect but it has the same problem. We probably have to wait.
DarkDragon's Minecraft Survival Server (use this as the IP):

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

- The server uses a whitelist, if you're not on the whitelist (can't connect), PM me your minecraft name.

Offline econundrum

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2008, 08:37:57 am »
I just installed it on Windows and my Firewall asked for permission for Spore, so I allowed it to connect but it has the same problem. We probably have to wait.

Yeah does sound like the server is just down at the moment then. You have my sympathy must be very frustrating to have the game already but not be able to play it.

David Friedman.

Offline kuninobu

• Fire Truck Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2008, 08:38:29 am »

Good, then it's not only me. I was thinking it was my luck making my life miserable again :P