Author Topic: Suggestions for changes to the game - discussion thread  (Read 32408 times)

Offline dreck345

• Space Invaders Junkie
    • View Profile
Re: Attn Maxis: Suggestions for changes to the game
« Reply #195 on: September 08, 2008, 07:17:17 am »
These posts really shouldn't have been merged. Kandalf's post was for patch-like fixed and something we can get done now/soon. Plus, it is much more nicely formatted.

Offline leanbarton

• Mystery House Madman
  • CrushYoMind in Sporepedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: September 08, 2008, 07:33:24 am »
I LOVE THIS GAME!

Sure there are some tweaks Maxis will put together in the patch, and its great to offer advice on changes. But frankly, I'm glad I finally have the game.

BUT here's my pet peeve, It feels like the Civilization phase moves waaay too fast. I can't keep up with the other expanding empires.

Offline Jumper78

• Pong Paddle
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: September 08, 2008, 07:35:37 am »
Do you receive any income from your colonies?
I see that there is a value to be given each hour... I just dont know if its real hour or an ingame hour... I also never noticed my cash grow by this.

The worst part in space phase is that its simpler than civ phase... at least in civ you could zoom in and out from your cities and control more than one vehicle (rts).  On space when Im half-way to the core my colonies keep getting attacked/pirated/ecodisastered, which I have to ignore since it would take a long time to reach them and by that time it would be over.

My work-around: place a Sat at each colony and ignore the calls... Also when you find a new race try to be ally from it or just destroy it.  

I really hope the modders can solve some of the major problems. Or maybe the patch will.

Offline fabtep

• Microvision Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: September 08, 2008, 07:37:14 am »
I strongly agree with nurizeko and Necrox. I expected Space to be a calm and peaceful sandbox if I want it to be just that, but it is quite the opposite and there's nothing i can do about it. It is deeply frustrating and stops me wanting to play the space phase, which I expected to be the greatest thing about the game. I do like the creature phase, but it lacks the scope of space and thus is nothing I want to play for ages either.

Offline Veraal

• Zelda Zealot
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: September 08, 2008, 08:09:23 am »
yeah, i was imagining the glorious achievement of space technology, and blasting off into space to explore unknown worlds.

sadly, there are nearly no unknown worlds where i started ;D which is kinda sad.

also, there's this teensy weensy thing i'd like to gtfo out of the game, when i hail someone like a colony to trade spice, i try to be quick about it, i try to click on the trade button while the screen is showing up, but sometimes i miss because it's moving slower than i predicted, sending me into some other menu, adding another tiny(but still) thing that makes me more frustrated.

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: September 08, 2008, 08:23:18 am »
yeah, i was imagining the glorious achievement of space technology, and blasting off into space to explore unknown worlds.

sadly, there are nearly no unknown worlds where i started ;D which is kinda sad.

also, there's this teensy weensy thing i'd like to gtfo out of the game, when i hail someone like a colony to trade spice, i try to be quick about it, i try to click on the trade button while the screen is showing up, but sometimes i miss because it's moving slower than i predicted, sending me into some other menu, adding another tiny(but still) thing that makes me more frustrated.

because what is moving slower than predicted? your mouse cursor?

Anyways, this thread really could use a response from the devs. We aren't bashing you guys Maxis, just trying to say what needs to be improved/fixed.

Offline Necrox

• Venture Conqueror
  • Underwater Civs For President!
    • View Profile
    • Lupus Photo
« Reply #201 on: September 08, 2008, 08:49:24 am »
Strictly speaking I don't think the devs NEED to answer, though it is always be nice to hear from them :)
The way I see it this is a thread for them to browse through and hopefully get a few ideas for what they could implement/tweak.

It's an important thread though because it raises similar concerns of many, so I hope they read it all through eventhough it IS a monolith ;)
I'm PRETTY sure they're gonna put some patching love into this game. I have a feeling WW wouldn't like it to be remembered as "The Spore That Became a Bug" or something :P

As I've said before: The BASIS of the game is great. It just needs to be... nipped and tucked a bit to fulfill its potential :)

Offline SporeForSure

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: September 08, 2008, 08:55:51 am »
The program might have a memory leak.

If I play for several hours (too many hours..) then when i try to shut down windows it takes a long time (maybe 15 or 20 minutes) to clean up all the open files.

A memory leak is when the program grows and grows all the time without loading more content and eventually crash. What you are experiencing is the program with lots of content in it if it takes time to "wash" the memory.

The "gonzago" (creature) prototype had a serious memory leak, i does not look like Spore is suffering from one.
”It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring” (Dr. Carl Sagan)

Offline Rusted

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: September 08, 2008, 09:24:53 am »
Kandalf posted a similar thread that was far more organized and had far less "ZOMG ITS UNFAIR!!!"  (Don't get me wrong I complained too, but...) It seems that this thread has side railed into a congealed mess of complaints and contains massive outlandish "patch" suggestions.

Any chance we could have on on-going sticky topic that is clear and uncluttered, and focuses more on the minor, practical changes that should be implemented?
Terraforming. 
Turning dirt, forming.
Turning dirt; forming.
Terraforming.

Rusted -Sporepedia Name and Link
PM if you add me, I'll return the favor.

Offline kandalf

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: September 08, 2008, 12:32:35 pm »
Unfortunately it seems as if my topic has been merged with this one. That's rather sad, because as opposed to this thread, I was trying to update the first post regularly. In addition this thread has degenerated in whining, and many of the suggestions are not practical for a patch.

I hope the mods will be able to sort this out and create a better organized thread for the purpose of pointing out what some may view as major problems in Spore and some practical fixes that could be implemented.

Offline FalconNL

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: September 08, 2008, 01:16:49 pm »
Personally I suggest three threads:
One with a list of suggestion that can easily and feasibly be implemented in Spore in the short term, i.e. kandalf's post.
This can be locked and stickied.
One discussion topic for short term solutions, i.e. this thread. Ideas from this thread can be put into kandalf's topic by him so that the Spore devs don't have to wade through page after page of discussion, but can get a quick list of what we would most like to have changed.
The third topic would be mine, with ideas for expansion packs or different games altogether. These are low priority, but can serve as an inspiration for modders or game developers. Discussion will occur in the same thread, and I will try to include most of the ideas in the first post for easy reference.

Just my two cents.

Offline Lurker28

• Missile Commander
    • View Profile
    • Ordus inferi - Age of Conan Guild
« Reply #206 on: September 08, 2008, 01:21:21 pm »
I am playing on hard (only difficult that is a challenge), it takes me about 2 or 3 hours to push myself out of the hole that is dug for you. After 3 alliances and 1 enemy I was able to push them away from my star systems. After that the frequency of which they attacked went down dramatically to once ever 15 to 20 minutes after I completed destroyed the alien race I only got attacked by pirates. However, now that I am many hours into the space stage I have enough experience and money to throw down planetary defenses which pretty much protect me from everything.

Offline Pixxel

• Robotron Automaton
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: September 08, 2008, 01:32:06 pm »
Something I really want is a separate coloring option for cloths and armors instead of it being dependent on what color the creature has.
If you stop and think about it, Your life's longer as an old guy than a kid. Scary o.o

Offline morphian

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
Spore save system needs an auto-save (vaguely tool spoiler)
« Reply #208 on: September 08, 2008, 03:14:49 pm »
*Morphian creates small but increasingly strong Empire, increasing the number of T2 worlds*

*Morphian, after a hour or 2 manages to get the atmosphere acculator tool to increase atmosphere cheaply*

*Morphian cheers and soon has more T2 worlds. He then gets the Cloud vacuum and manages to create a T3 world. He smiles*

*Morphian manages to get the heat and cold tools, alooks upon the galaxy's poor worlds with a grin*

*He creates a another 2 T3 worlds*

*Game Crashs. Morphian is agast! But tries the save file, hopefully*

*Game loads, and its back where he started - no tools at all*

*Morphian twinches madly!*

Edit: *Morphian then curls up into a ball and mutters to himself* I must not cheat, I must not cheat
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 03:27:35 pm by morphian »
See my evi...erm, not evil, honest..creations at:
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Hephaestus

Offline SpecialBrownies

• Donkey Kong King
  • They look so special!
    • View Profile
Re: Spore save system needs an auto-save (vaguely tool spoiler)
« Reply #209 on: September 08, 2008, 03:35:55 pm »
True.
"If you put an infinite amount of monkeys in a room with computers, they would code Spore."

-SpecialBrownies