Author Topic: Suggestions for changes to the game - discussion thread  (Read 32924 times)

Offline Ondaderthad

• Rigel Rescuer
    • View Profile
    • Area32 - Westgate Builders
Re: Attn Maxis: Suggestions for changes to the game
« Reply #180 on: September 08, 2008, 12:35:59 am »
The program might have a memory leak.

If I play for several hours (too many hours..) then when i try to shut down windows it takes a long time (maybe 15 or 20 minutes) to clean up all the open files.

Offline Pixxel

• Robotron Automaton
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: September 08, 2008, 12:50:01 am »
The ability to change key bindings.

I could live with using +/- to zoom in and out if it wasn't for the fact that I'm a wasd'er, R and Q would be much handier buttons to zoom with.

But yea, key bindings please?

There's a key bind for zoom in and out. Hold "ctrl" and "+/-" or was it just "+/-"

You can probably change it. havn't checked yet.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 12:54:57 am by Pixxel »
If you stop and think about it, Your life's longer as an old guy than a kid. Scary o.o

Offline immortius

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: September 08, 2008, 02:22:01 am »
I haven't had any crashes, but I use Vista 64-bit. Which means if memory leaks are an issue that the game won't crash for a lot longer (no 2GB memory limit per application).

If this thread isn't just about gameplay issues, here's a few straight bugs I've encountered:

- The Rolling Thunder achievement doesn't appear to work. I've won civ twice, in about 20 minutes each time, without earning it.
 - If you die while using Return Ticket, you can end up unable to use abilities or leave the planet you respawn on.
 - The descriptions in the tooltips of Mighty Bomb and Gadget Bomb appear reverse. Mighty bomb says it destroys all buildings and vehicles in the radius, when it only damages them. Gadget bomb says it damages buildings and vehicles in the radius. It destroys them.

Offline DaMuncha

• Lode Runner
  • GREAT SCOTTS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: September 08, 2008, 02:41:31 am »
I've ran into a little problem too. I've made peace with 2 alien races. Then they started a war against each other. Then they both ask me to help fight off the other. But if I attack one of them they instantly become hostile to me as you'd expect. So I leave them alone. and because I'm ignoring thier ceries for help, they get upset and no longer want to be my allies. As well as having a war with 2 other species as well on the edges of my territory. I can manage it, but I have no time to explore or make new colonies.

Its very exphensive to make a new colonies as they dont build them selvs Ive allready lost half of the cities on my home planet So I'm going to have to replace those before I coloniese anything else. Then once you have made your 1 colony, on a far away star because that is all there was availible at the time, That star system gets attacked and taken by the enemies because you only had 1 colony there and it was easy to take, so you loose that colony, then you start attacking them again to try and get them back to ur side accept they wont and just blow up instead, therefore wasting the 120,000 $ you just spent on it.

Offline heirware

• Galaxian Guru
  • since 230bc
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: September 08, 2008, 02:45:38 am »
Space is too damned crowded. Too many civilizations, it should be a semi-rare (or, at least not so much as it is now!)  event to meet another race, etc. There's no room for me to breath especially with the stupid random events which will undoubtedly occur more often as more races you encounter.

Offline Necrox

• Venture Conqueror
  • Underwater Civs For President!
    • View Profile
    • Lupus Photo
« Reply #185 on: September 08, 2008, 02:45:59 am »
DISCLAIMER
I may have missed something already in the game because I've not had any time to fully explore all the options (see below), if so then please tell me. I'd be happy to learn :)

Income for colonies please
Unless I've missed something, it currently has no impact what so ever to have a million billion colonies if you don't visit them all frequently.
It would be nice if they generated SOME sort of income without having to spend precious minutes shuttling back and forth between them in order to pick up spice.

I don't have time to pick up spice from my colonies because I at any point in time have an eco disaster, a pirate raid, a terraforming project and two colonies under attack from an overly-agressive Spode-fanatic AI and sometimes some Grox too.
I was going to play economic/diplomacy, but I've had to eradicate all Spode followers I've come across (5 empires) to just get five flipping minutes of peace to add an ecosystem to a planet!

You have ONE UFO, which is fine - if you're not expected to PERSONALLY do every little thing in the empire.
I don't see much of this vast sandbox game it's supposed to be, because every second of my game time is occupied by a million "important matters".

After roughly 18 hours of intense space play, I've now gotten to the point where I take a 3 minute breather between disasters because me and my 4 allies control this sector/cluster/whatever, so now I *only* have to contend with the disasters, Grox and pirate raids, which means I can trade a little and terraform sometimes. Before that point I couldn't get a word in.

I'd like to SEE content
Currently alien races on planets are little more than smudges on my screen (playing 1600x1000ish with everything on max). I briefly get a glimpse of a card that disappears into the ether when I first scan them, and I can't leave my UFO to explore the planet fully.
I've not been able to see a sporepedia which only covers the inhabitants of a specific planet. It would be great if there was an option for that. I'm missing out on all this great stuff people have created! :'( I can hardly see it unless it's epic, and I can't go look them up without having to browse through the entire sporepedia.

What I expected:
A vast sandbox with missions and story if you should choose it.

What I got:
Being nanny for a just measely 15 systems leaves no time to play in the sandbox.

I'm immensely enjoying terraforming and ecobuilding, it's awesome! ...but I don't get time to beam down more than 3 random species (in a huge rush) before 3 systems are screaming for help :-\
I certainly don't have time to actually pick and CHOOSE which animals I want to seed where.

I don't get to see all the wonderful creatures that's gotten seeded into my game, they could all be penises for all I know, because I just don't have the time to stop and smell the flowers, and even if I did it's hard to actually see anything properly.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 02:48:43 am by Necrox »

Offline Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #186 on: September 08, 2008, 03:06:48 am »
I do agree that it is too crowded.
You should be able to take some time in space to develop your own little empire before you make contact with your first alien race. What would be even better is if you think you're the big fish with your twenty planets, you meet an alien race who covers over seventy.
It's that sense of scale you get in the earlier phases, you know? And then you think to yourself, "One day, that'll be me. 'cept I'll have like 1000 systems!"
Why not, eh?

I believe the difficulty to earn rep with alien races should increase based on how many other planets they have. As it is right now, I can give them a gift of 100000 and do one mission and we're all best-friends-forever. And that's just on one of their planets out of the whole bunch. I don't think it should be quite so easy. Surely not every single citizen on every single one of their planets consents to an alliance with this little twerp from nowheres.
Perhaps you would need to gain approval from several planets of theirs. As their individual rep goes up, the overall civ rep will increase. Eventually you would get permission to make requests on the home planet for such things as alliances and stuff.
You don't find it weird that you can go to any old colony out in the sticks and get an alliance just like that?

The current design strikes me as rather weak. I'd get into other phases, but I'm sure they'll all get fleshed out in expansions and such.
That's what the devs said at some point, yeah? I can't quite remember anymore.

Anyway, I'm just dreaming.  :)

EDIT: Also, it'd be nice of the pirates actually came from a source. I'd like to approach a planetary system and find a pirate base either on a planet or space station.
Something like that.
And then I could kill their base and they'd leave me alone for awhile, or even be wiped out from the area.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 03:59:06 am by Gauphastus »
"Ma all the gods of furious strong be with you as you crunch opposents, and live like a windrammer as you f**k."
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline Praetyre

• Space Invaders Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: September 08, 2008, 03:18:04 am »
Hmm.. this is something I've been wanting to see myself. What do you think of this?

I'd like to see an active tech tree in the civilization stage, which researches technologies to unlock vehicle parts and the like, going from the equivalent of the Bronze Age to something akin to BF2142. The ability to design a national flag (or import one from a file) would also be great. And, I'd *really* like it if they made the space stage more like a cross of Sins of a Solar Empire and Galactic Civilizations, with an ability to take command in a Freelancer-esque fashion.

One thing that would be nice for both space and civ would be a government and religion/ideology editor. The former would be akin to Civilization IV's civics tab while the latter would give you the ability to define deity, nature of deity (if applicable), principles, create a symbol and configure various other little things in it (such as the name, if applicable, of it's holy texts, founder/s, antagonistic figure and traits like xenophobia).

About the clothing editor, it is present in game, but curiously seems to lack any form of trousers or sleeves.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 03:27:35 am by Praetyre »

Offline FalconNL

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: September 08, 2008, 04:20:37 am »
Good ideas.

Combat as a minigame: I've added an idea that is a bit different from yours, but along the same lines.
National flag: Added.
Government & religion editor: Added.
Clothing editor: What I meant was to have the ability to design the clothes themselves. Currently there aren't all that many options.

Tech tree in Civ game: I considered this, but the problem is that the typical Civilization-like tech tree of bronze age to future as you suggest is awfully earth-centered. Other races might take a completely different path. To quote the Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy movie: "a race with fifty noses, and the first to develop the aerosol deodorant before the wheel". This is why I didn't include it yet. For tribal it should be doable, as there is only a limited amount of technology to work with, but for Civ this is significantly more problematic. If anyone has any good ideas for this that don't constrain you to Earth's history I'd love to hear them.

Offline artir

• Breakout Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: September 08, 2008, 05:21:07 am »
Now go and post that HUGE list on EA's face AKA the official forums!
I hope they will listen us.

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #190 on: September 08, 2008, 05:22:22 am »
They will read it here, they read the forums every day. Don't worry.

Offline FalconNL

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: September 08, 2008, 05:41:41 am »
I see one of the moderators decided to merge my topic with this one. I don't think this is a good idea, as most of my suggestions are far outside the current scope of Spore. I decided to make it a separate topic so that my list, which contains ideas that most likely won't be seen in a game for the next five years or so, would not clutter up the list of things that can be done in the short term to improve Spore. If it is possible to unmerge the two topics I think it would avoid confusion, keep discussion in both topics more focused and be generally easier to work with.
If this is not possible I can also recreate the topic if a mod gives permission (to avoid recreating and remerging the same topic multiple times).

Thanks in advance.

Offline macweirdo42

• Microvision Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: September 08, 2008, 05:44:52 am »
My thought - since we now know that parts don't stack, why should it cost extra to add a second part when it doesn't actually do anything?  For instance - I add an armor plate and get a +3 to health.  After that, any additional armor plates I add are purely aesthetic, so it's my opinion that they should be free at that point.  Why not leave the original price of the object in, but allow for unlimited free copies?

Offline nurizeko

• Battlezone Captain
  • Ske-RWOAWR! >:3
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: September 08, 2008, 05:45:18 am »
Heres a suggestion.

Get rid of that bloody stupid insta death deep sea jerk monster that lurks in the water.

Do you have any idea how utterly annoying it is to be on a planet with distinct separate islands/continents in creature phase, and not be able to explore most of your planet because you cant swim across to them?.

Really Maxis, what was the point at all with that monster BS?.

Its just pointless and irritating and denies me (and others I assume) the right to explore our entire world as we see fit.

Why couldn't you just make the game sandbox like you promised and get rid of this stupid half arserd attempt at gameplay and gameplay random events.

If the random event stops me being able to explore my planet, then its a failure of a random event, and impediment.

Oh and space stage needs work to.

Give your empire a decent economic system which doesn't require your personal presence at every level.

Stop making space so crowded, I fully agree, we need breathing room, space stage feels like nothing but chore after chore after chore after chore, its suffocating, not sandbox, andnot fun.

I want less Pirate raids, I want more tools sooner, I want the option to simply not have to put up with ultra aggressive cartoon critters who look like they couldn't scare a toddler.

I want an empire that can survive alone without my babysitting it at every level, economic, political, environmental and defense.

I don't want to be gang-mugged by a swarm of alien ships while I am doomed to have one and a few if my allies deem me worthy of having one of theres.

I just want more room, more ease and more time to actually explore and mess about as this stage was intended for. There are plenty of 4X whatever space strategy games out there, you really didn't need to be one either, but if you insist, at least make an acceptable empire system that doesn't demand the player run ragged around it in the attempt to stave off disaster and having no time to actually have fun.

This isn't Warhammer 40k the RTS, this is not the Imperium of Man and it isn't meant to be beset on all sides by the hostile alien and torns from within by heretics (pirates) and other things (environment).

Thanks for reading my slightly annoyed rant, hopefully something useful was conveyed in the process.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 06:07:40 am by nurizeko »

Offline Necrox

• Venture Conqueror
  • Underwater Civs For President!
    • View Profile
    • Lupus Photo
« Reply #194 on: September 08, 2008, 07:10:38 am »
Give your empire a decent economic system which doesn't require your personal presence at every level.

Stop making space so crowded, I fully agree, we need breathing room, space stage feels like nothing but chore after chore after chore after chore, its suffocating, not sandbox, andnot fun.

I want less Pirate raids, I want more tools sooner, I want the option to simply not have to put up with ultra aggressive cartoon critters who look like they couldn't scare a toddler.

I want an empire that can survive alone without my babysitting it at every level, economic, political, environmental and defense ALL the time.

I just want more room, more ease and more time to actually explore and mess about as this stage was intended for. There are plenty of 4X whatever space strategy games out there, you really didn't need to be one either, but if you insist, at least make an acceptable empire system that doesn't demand the player run ragged around it in the attempt to stave off disaster and having no time to actually have fun.

This isn't Warhammer 40k the RTS, this is not the Imperium of Man and it isn't meant to be beset on all sides by the hostile alien and torns from within by heretics (pirates) and other things (environment).

My version is edited slightly, but a lot of the things you say sum up my experience. I think it's frustrating that it's taken 18 hours of chores to get a 5 minute respite to terraform.

I still think it's a fun game, but not as much as it could be - and I CERTAINLY don't understand how you could market the space stage as a sandbox. The tools are there, but really they feel a bit like they're mocking you, knowing that you wont have time to use them, if you want to survive.

As it is, it's the most intense 4X I've ever played... with one ship/fleet only.

It's gotten to the point where I save a game and then play around and terraform etc, knowing that it will bring about my doom - and then later load the game again to play on "properly" (loosing all my work in the process naturally, but at least I had fun while doing it).

The greatness is all THERE, that's what's frustrating really. The game is GREAT, you can SEE that it would be great... it's just a bit too "persistent" in its current state.