Author Topic: Spore leaked  (Read 25457 times)

Offline Sub

• Time Pilot Trekker
  • End is tough.
    • View Profile
Spore leaked
« on: September 02, 2008, 04:50:13 pm »
I won't post any of the links to it, but Spore has been cracked and is being downloaded by thousands as we speak (er, as I type).

It didn't take long at all.  So much for that draconian DRM.

Offline Kenotai

• Krull Slayer
  • Wint firinoint vai.
    • View Profile
Re: Spore leaked
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 04:50:53 pm »
And how do YOU know it's legit?  ::)
Visit, Vote, Vykusi - New Poll 9/01/08

Quote from: Little
I, for a fact, quite like Keno[tai]. He's my favorite.

Offline morphian

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 04:51:33 pm »
Erm, you do realise your about the 4th person to tell us this, right?
See my evi...erm, not evil, honest..creations at:
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Hephaestus

Offline Sub

• Time Pilot Trekker
  • End is tough.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 04:53:21 pm »
Didn't realize it, but unless theres already another thread specifically for this, I really don't care.

Offline Miclee

• Donkey Kong King
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 04:54:27 pm »
Its funny cause theres no seeder.  :P

Offline Sub

• Time Pilot Trekker
  • End is tough.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2008, 04:55:20 pm »
There are a few different torrents.  The best one I found has 50 seeders with roughly 6,000 people downloading, so it's definitely out there.

@Kenotai:  It's legit because it was done by one of the huge pirating groups, reloaded.

@Any of the mods:  I'm not advocating piracy, I think it's sad that it was leaked.  I'm only posting this because I find it interesting that they chose to use a DRM scheme that hurts the consumer and it still got leaked before the release date regardless.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 04:57:15 pm by Sub »

gec05

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2008, 04:58:28 pm »
Remember folks to not discuss your own illegal acts in this topic. The issues and facts may still be discussed but nothing further please.

Offline econundrum

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2008, 04:59:20 pm »
well it was bound to happen wasn't it since when has any game with DRM protection or otherwise failed to appear on torrent shortly before or after it's release. As companies like Stardock know DRM software only punishes legit customers, it doesn't stop or even slow pirates much.

Just ignore it and look forward to the proper release only days away.

Keep this in mind, someone clever enough to crack the DRM protection is clever enough to add some trojan code to build themselves a nice zombie network using the machines of anyone silly enough to download it. I mean you'd want the pirated copy to work too so people would keep it on their machines.

So good luck with that anyone silly enough to download it.
"The direct use of force is such a poor solution to any problem, it is generally employed only by small children and large nations."

David Friedman.

http://www.spore.com/view/profile/econundrum

Offline Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2008, 05:00:32 pm »
I figure the people that do the cracking see it as a challenge.
A company comes out and touts this new and improved anti-piracy, and they think the pirates are just going to pack up and leave forever?

Retarded.
"Ma all the gods of furious strong be with you as you crunch opposents, and live like a windrammer as you f**k."
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline econundrum

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2008, 05:08:52 pm »
I figure the people that do the cracking see it as a challenge.
A company comes out and touts this new and improved anti-piracy, and they think the pirates are just going to pack up and leave forever?

Retarded.

Or there criminal gangs who see an ideal opportunity to expand their zombie bot network by getting fools to download and install their code along with the game.

Probably a mixture of both.

"The direct use of force is such a poor solution to any problem, it is generally employed only by small children and large nations."

David Friedman.

http://www.spore.com/view/profile/econundrum

Offline Judhudson

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
    • SporePrograms
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2008, 05:13:03 pm »
Sigh....at least it prevents them from downloading from the Sporepedia - but I'm sure they'll eventually find a way to go around that.  I hate the stupid DRM scheme they use and question the fact why do they even bother with it.  They said it is to prevent people from copying the game, but what is the point when they can jump online to grab a torrent?  I hope the pirates will still purchase a copy of the game at least...
Owner of SporePrograms & SimPrograms
http://www.sporeprograms.com - http://www.simprograms.com

Offline Crowster

• Defender Devotee
  • It's Crow-Time, Baby!
    • View Profile
    • The Adventures of Crow-Man
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2008, 05:14:59 pm »
What!? Spore's been Pirated!? That's impossible since I, the legit customer, can only install my game three times! See, I was under the impression that this very fact put a forcefield around the CD itself, making any form of copying impossible! :o Surely this "cracking" that people speak of is some form of witchcraft!

Bah. I'm being punished with a three install limit while the pirates are getting their game hassle-free. I really hope the existence of the crack will result in the 3 install limit being taken away, or at least in some way modified. After all, there is nothing in the game code that specifically says, "Three installs only," it's all on their activation server.

Offline Salazar

• Microvision Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2008, 05:16:36 pm »
Well as long as they dont get to acces the sporepedia it seems likely that a lot of them will eventually buy the game.
At least i'd hope so.

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2008, 05:17:24 pm »
Please, don't post about cracks and torrents and anything illegal. We don't support that and we don't want to help anyone find it. I removed some other threads about it but I guess I'll leave this one as a message not to link it or name it or support it. Anything like that will be removed.

Maxis is also aware of the torrents so it's not a secret to them.

Offline Axelgear

• Fooblitzky Fooble
    • View Profile
    • Axel's Playground
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2008, 05:23:47 pm »
It just annoys me that this wouldn't be happening if EA had actually done a release when, y'know, the game was ready and available and didn't go about trying to push their Download Manager system that's outdated compared to Steam.
Axel's Playground - Come see what I'm playing with today.