Author Topic: Two Questions  (Read 4628 times)

Offline Crowster

• Defender Devotee
  • It's Crow-Time, Baby!
    • View Profile
    • The Adventures of Crow-Man
Re: Two Questions
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2008, 11:58:30 pm »
The topic creator didn't get his question answered.....

YES, you can install on two computers at once, and since you already have two accounts, you should be able to play at the same time with absolutely no problems.

Don't worry about it. You're fine. Tell your bro to play on the crappy computer. hehe :D

I'm actually not 100% sure that you'll be able to use Spore's online features without registering the game to your account the way you can with the CC.

I know that with the CC you can upload full CC creatures to a non-full CC account just fine (at least, I think that's how the poster is doing it), but a huge part of me doubts that this'll be the case for the full game. If it's possible to use a free account for the full game without registering the product to said account, then it'll give pirates easy access to the online features. Plus, Caryl did say one account per copy in the video I linked to.

Idunno. I'd be weary. If two accounts isn't possible, you can either 1. share the account with your sibling, or 2. convince him to play offline. Those might be the best options to you. =/

Although, I hope I'm wrong, and that Bluelightning is correct.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 12:00:24 am by Crowster »

Offline DaMuncha

• Lode Runner
  • GREAT SCOTTS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2008, 02:30:08 am »
I'm lazy(and its late), but do they specifically say "you don't get your activations back"?

Yes. It's fairly late in the podcast, but yes, they specifically say that the question came up, and specifically say that no, uninstalling does not reset your activations.

Curses!!!  I knew I should have listened/watched those in there entirety!!  DARN you EA!!  DARN YOU STRAIGHT TO HECK!!!
The Maxis team is still cool though.

So that means... once we install 3 times... for any reason... thats it? game over? We have to buy a new copy of Spore?

NOW THATS JUST NOT CRICKET! I would so bitch the person who came up with that idea. If only I knew who they were.

I'm sure that within a week or even a few days there will be MANY posts about this on the EA forums, and so much hate mail. Dont these companies ever learn? It is NEVER , EVER, EVER, EVER!, A good idea to screw its customers in the ass. That kind of thinking enfuriates me.

EA: "But we're not forcing you, If you dont like it, dont buy the game." which we've been waiting 3 years for it to come out and they do this to us.

Offline ashevm

• Wolfenstein Wunderkind
  • We are the creature makers
    • View Profile
    • Longcount
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2008, 02:49:16 am »
EA: "But we're not forcing you, If you dont like it, dont buy the game." which we've been waiting 3 years for it to come out and they do this to us.

That's basically EA telling us not to buy their game. Last time I checked it was called bad business.

Offline Necrox

• Venture Conqueror
  • Underwater Civs For President!
    • View Profile
    • Lupus Photo
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2008, 03:46:37 am »
OP: As has been stated by others here, it has been clearly said that you need an account to play it. You only get 1 account per copy, I'm pretty sure you can't count on your CC accounts to work as a game account though you may be able to convert it/tie them together.

Since you have to log in with your account to play the game, it sounds very much like you can install the game on all 3 computers if you want, but you'd only be able to use one of them at a time. So if you wanted 2 people playing on different PC's at the same time you'd have to buy another copy in order to get the account the other person should be logging in with. Not unlike World of Warcraft if you know how that works. You can install W.o.W on a million PC's if you like, but it's not going to help you since you'll have to buy a new copy for each other person who wants their own account so they can play at the same time as you.

But this shouldn't be your personal problem even if this is the case. You've "paid" for your copy by helping your brother, if he wants the game too then he and your parents should sort out their own arrangement. It wouldn't be fair for them to impose limits on your gameplay that you've earned just because he wants it :) And he can still play using your account if you're ok with that - just not while you're playing ;)

Offline SporeForSure

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2008, 03:48:01 am »
  • Technically, it can be installed on two computers.
  • Legally, you are in violation of the software licence agreement unless it specifically say that you are allowed to do it.

There is a fine distiction between what you CAN do what what you are PERMITTED to do.

As for the activations:

It could also mean that these activations are reset every 6 months if all of the activations are used up, Microsoft Flight Simulator X do the same with its activation. Activations are supposed to be a means of controlling piracy, not to piss on the legit buyers.

(But in the end it isnt going to matter anyway since a crack will be released, and some people are boycotting all such games, even if a crack is released, since it is their opinion that they should be able to do whatever they want with a game they paid for - without a network connection).
”It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring” (Dr. Carl Sagan)

Offline DaMuncha

• Lode Runner
  • GREAT SCOTTS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2008, 03:53:42 am »
Activations are supposed to be a means of controlling piracy, not to piss on the legit buyers.

But thats what theyre doing.

Offline Ozymandias

• Space Invaders Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2008, 04:35:49 am »
This could just be wishful thinking but look what happened with Mass Effect, There was so much controversy of the install limit it got extended to 5 and uninstalling got you one back. I would be very surprised (and pissed off) If It didn't happen with spore too.

Personally I'm a bit disappointed with the 1 user per copy thing, I'm sure I remember hearing that a couple of people in a family could use it at once at the expense of activation keys so 3 Activation Keys means 3 people at once.

Offline Mighdas

• Akalabeth Addict
  • Cybertronian God
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2008, 04:44:01 am »
Well, I PM'ed Lucky about it, to see if she could clear this up.

Offline happydan20

• Venture Conqueror
  • Discovered the "everything syndrome."
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2008, 04:49:35 am »
I think everyone is forgetting that once you use tour installs you can call and get them reset.  Just like any other game that limits installs.
I survived the flood of 2008 and all I got was this crappy homelessness.

Offline ashevm

• Wolfenstein Wunderkind
    • View Profile
    • Longcount
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2008, 04:50:50 am »
I think she already said something about this in another thread. It's the DRM SecuROM discussion all over again.

EDIT:
I think everyone is forgetting that once you use tour installs you can call and get them reset.  Just like any other game that limits installs.

Yeah, but EA costumer service takes forever. Just like any other company costumer service.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 04:52:53 am by ashevm »

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2008, 04:51:35 am »
Calm down guys. When I played at Maxis they had the game already installed on the computer but I was able to play under my account and I don't own Spore yet. Based on this I assume that you can install the game on 3 computers using the one account, I think a re-install on the same computer is okay. If you have to change a hard drive then I think a they will work with you on getting it installed again. I don't think they expect you to buy a new game every time.

If someone already has an account then I think they will be able to play in a game that is already installed. (My opinion, not fac) I would suggest if a household has two account holders then try getting one game, put it on the two computers and see if the second account works. I think it's a good idea not to speculate and give them a chance before we call them out on it.

*Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post.
3 times now

Offline Xenomorph1

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2008, 06:39:22 am »
Do you have to uninstall the CC to install spore or does the files overwrite themself,thanks

Offline ashevm

• Wolfenstein Wunderkind
    • View Profile
    • Longcount
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2008, 06:41:42 am »
*Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post.
3 times now

It's been like this for some time now. It was usual in other sections, but it's the first time I see it in Spore section. Hypemeter is way too high.

Offline Techleo

• Defender Devotee
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2008, 06:51:17 am »
 Lady M is right, they will allow you to reinstall. People freak out for nothing these days and if there is a reason, there always is a way around it.  ;)

Offline DaMuncha

• Lode Runner
  • GREAT SCOTTS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2008, 07:01:00 am »
3 times now

It's been like this for some time now. It was usual in other sections, but it's the first time I see it in Spore section. Hypemeter is way too high.

I often see that.