Author Topic: Harvest Moon: Island of Happiness  (Read 16400 times)

Offline DarkDragon

• Altered Beast
    • View Profile
Re: Harvest Moon: Island of Happiness
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2008, 04:03:21 pm »
Chelsea huh?

She seems harder to unlock than some other girls, but rather easy to get afterwards. Apparently there isn't a gift that she won't love. Even weeds.

I'm thinking Sabrina might be the hardest. She's obtainable after shipping a lot of ore. To me, mining is very difficult in this game. One of the more difficult tasks in the game. Perhaps her.

Though, I think I'll aim for chelsea anyway. Then I'll go through all the events to have the other girls marry their respective others and keep them all in town, rather than them moving out when I ignore them.

Everybody loves weed  ;D (lol, bad joke)

Anyways, should I get this game?
DarkDragon's Minecraft Survival Server (use this as the IP):

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

- The server uses a whitelist, if you're not on the whitelist (can't connect), PM me your minecraft name.

Offline PatMan33

• The Nameless One
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • Google
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2008, 04:07:11 pm »
Eh... it's decent. Nothing special though. I think this will be my last Harvest Moon game.

Offline Met

• Karateka Krazy
  • Well... whatever.
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Userpage
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2008, 05:52:05 pm »
Anyways, should I get this game?

If you want to play Harvest Moon and haven't gone through Friend of Mineral Town, go get that and play it first.

This game is enjoyable. Though the touch screen controls will put off a lot of people. I don't play this game as much as FOMT because I get rather annoyed with my hand cramping up.

Besides the touch screen controls, Island of Happiness has you building the island up from the ground, rather than just your farm. You'll be focusing more on improving the quality of life for others more than yourself. It seems that the main objective in this game is to "unlock" all town visitors and keeping them happy so they stay on the island.

The WiFi ranking system was a great idea. Too bad the kids are buying Action Replays too boost up their island easily and cheating their way to impossibly high ranks.

Hopefully, Sun and Companions will improve the WiFi and allow for D-pad movement.

Offline DarkDragon

• Altered Beast
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2008, 06:10:10 pm »
I've played every Harvest Moon game so far (for portable consoles), just wondering if this one is worth it (you kinda get tired of it when you've played this many :P)
DarkDragon's Minecraft Survival Server (use this as the IP):

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

- The server uses a whitelist, if you're not on the whitelist (can't connect), PM me your minecraft name.

Offline PatMan33

• The Nameless One
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • Google
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2008, 06:16:24 pm »
Indeed you do...

Offline Celdur

• Baseball SuperStar
  • :33
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2008, 06:17:18 pm »
its pretty much harvest moon but then with crappier controls

but it does improve on allot of things

the whole crop system now has a water/sun system wich is pretty cool...and there is the whole isle thing met just explained

you also have rice and mushrooms...dunno if that was there before

and its a whole new cast of characters

Quote from: Krakow sam
That quote is actualy very witty, Celdur. I suggest you use that in your signature.

Offline Met

• Karateka Krazy
  • Well... whatever.
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Userpage
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2008, 05:18:31 pm »
and I've yet to see any of their usual spelling errors.

Offline Cheri

• Pong Paddle
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2008, 01:02:54 pm »
  I just got my copy of Harvest Moon Island of Happiness.
  Yes, I have my chicken plush. I also got a cow plush early!!!
  I'm having some trouble with controls...maybe I have to get used to it.

I need friend codes!

Here's mine:

Name: Cheri
  Code:  159074511158
  Farm:   Violet

Offline Met

• Karateka Krazy
  • Well... whatever.
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Userpage
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2008, 09:57:19 pm »
Welcome to the forums, Cheri.

Seeing as you enjoy Harvest Moon and World of Warcraft, we'll get along very well.

You'll get used to the controls after a bit. Though funky, they do allow for easier gift giving and precision when farming.

Here are some tips on the controls:

-When you're holding an item above your head, you can hold your stylus on the item. Drag your stylus around without lifting it. You'll notice your character is turning his/her body without running. Wherever you let go of your stylus is where your character will throw an item. This makes putting items in the shipping box easier. You can also place rocks and branches where you want on your field and place chicken feed/fodder in the feeders without having to going through the "Are you sure you wish to place this here" process. (And throwing the rest back into the feed dispenser).

-If you want to give someone an item you're holding above your head, simply click on the person with your stylus. It doesn't matter where they are on your screen. You can give items at a good distance.

-When fishing, put your stylus away. Give your hands a break.

Offline Gauphastus

• Mach Rider
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastus Land
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2008, 07:05:35 pm »
Oh man. I just opened this yesterday.

Clearly the control design was forged by members of Satan's employ.
I cannot believe they didn't give an alternative control scheme and instead made both halves of the DS DO THE EXACT SAME THING.

I have Harvest Moon DS here, that first one. I think I'll just keep playing that.
I actually have fun playing that one. It's most like the first one on SNES, the completely NORMAL one. Though the reason I picked up Island of Happiness was to experience something just a little different than the usual Harvest Moon game, I find I simply cannot look past these controls.
The entire time I felt myself wishing I could go back to the simpler, far more practical Harvest Moon DS.

And I think I will.
Not sure I'll play this again. Geez.
"Ma all the gods of furious strong be with you as you crunch opposents, and live like a windrammer as you f**k."
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline PatMan33

• The Nameless One
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • Google
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2008, 07:13:04 pm »
By the way there's another one coming out. Um... I'm not even going to bother. There's nothing more for any of us in this franchise.

Offline Gauphastus

• Mach Rider
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastus Land
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2008, 07:25:22 pm »
Except maybe a massively multiplayer game.

What would you guys feel about that?
Also, I've really only played like four Harvest Moon games myself.
The one on SNES, that first one that came out on PS1, Harvest Moon DS, and now this.
Not a fan of the cute versions or friend making or other crap.

Ohh, wait. Rune Factory.
I have a used copy of Innocent Life here too that I haven't touched 'cause I heard you only have so long to play the thing. Like it's got that same lameass time limit mechanic like in the SNES one.
Bah.
"Ma all the gods of furious strong be with you as you crunch opposents, and live like a windrammer as you f**k."
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline PatMan33

• The Nameless One
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • Google
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2008, 07:34:20 pm »
I played Harvest Moon, Harvest Moon 64, A Wonderful Life, Magical Melody, Rune Factory, and Island of Happiness.

HM, and HM64 are still the best and most complete in my opinion.

There is a multiplayer game in the works, but I'm not sure how that'll turn out.

Offline Gauphastus

• Mach Rider
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastus Land
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2008, 07:53:08 pm »
Yasuhiro Wada, the creator of the Harvest Moon franchise, is not considering MMO scale online play, but two to eight players visiting the towns of others. [3]

Hell, I'll still take it.
You guys will all be my slaves and work on my farm for a single turnip wedge a day.

Seriously though, I wish this game would get off this ugly 3D/heavy touch screen control scheme.
It's weak.
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline Lostpoetofthemoon

• Pong Paddle
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2008, 03:09:05 pm »
Got this game two days ago well the controls bug me a little it awesome fun and igf you haven't checked out the ones for gamecube and soon wii definately do plus harvest moon ds is really cool!

Friends code:438248269774
Name: Sarah
Ranch:Aryzia
« Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 03:21:48 pm by Lostpoetofthemoon »