Author Topic: Jenna Chalmers on Audio (demoing spore)  (Read 4124 times)

Offline CosmicD

• Omega Racer
    • View Profile
Jenna Chalmers on Audio (demoing spore)
« on: August 27, 2008, 02:26:34 am »
Hello,

Some of you may know: I've went to an EA press event yesterday where Jenna Chalmers demoed SPORE. I want on behalf of Hiki's sporeblog. This is a blog that posts much spore news in dutch, but ofcoruse the deminstration is in english.

You'll find out a truckload of Space stage info from the woman who produced the stage herself.

Listen (or rightclick to download)
Source blog (in dutch)

I'm gonna post some more interesting bits later on. We've got a conversation but you couldn't really define it as a straight interview. But Jenna answers my questions about religion in spore, will wright, and terraforming.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 02:40:54 am by CosmicD »

Offline DaMuncha

• Lode Runner
  • GREAT SCOTTS!
    • View Profile
Re: Jenna Chalmers on Audio (demoing spore)
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2008, 03:45:30 am »
You need ALLLLL the badges to get to the end of the game.

"Mostly only hardcore gamers will finish the game" damn they were right.

Offline hikispore

• Video Pinball Wizard
    • View Profile
    • Spore Nieuws
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2008, 03:53:18 am »
We are hard core gamers aren't we? so no problem  :-\

;D

Offline skewedjester

• Video Pinball Wizard
  • The Book of Jester holds the truth...usually.
    • View Profile
    • My Sporepedia Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2008, 04:02:36 am »
Excellent. Thank you for posting this. Very informative.

Offline Judhudson

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
    • SporePrograms
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008, 04:18:01 am »
Thank god for youtube, lol.  Someone will record it.  :)

Thanks CosmicD for the interview!
Owner of SporePrograms & SimPrograms
http://www.sporeprograms.com - http://www.simprograms.com

Offline nurizeko

• Battlezone Captain
  • Ske-RWOAWR! >:3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2008, 04:45:40 am »
You need ALLLLL the badges to get to the end of the game.

"Mostly only hardcore gamers will finish the game" damn they were right.

I guess that makes the hardcore leetnoobs happy but since when was this game for the hardcore leetnoobs.

I hated the fact you needed to be some ultra-raider to see the endgame content of WoW and I really don't wanna see it for Spore.

Offline Axelgear

• Fooblitzky Fooble
    • View Profile
    • Axel's Playground
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2008, 05:51:34 am »
I would disagree. I think she's saying that you need all the badges if you want to do it well. You can do it without them, it's just unlikely you can fight the gRob with mediocre weapons or ally with them with poor tools. Still, you can get all the badges easily enough...
Axel's Playground - Come see what I'm playing with today.

Offline DaMuncha

• Lode Runner
  • GREAT SCOTTS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2008, 06:15:29 am »
No no, she said "You will need all the badges to get to the end of the game".

Offline Shadowgandor

• Scramble Skipper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2008, 06:21:59 am »
Ah well, I can't see the medals being too hard to get. Bit of gamefaqs, bit of time et voila :P

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2008, 07:28:21 am »
Ah well, I can't see the medals being too hard to get. Bit of gamefaqs, bit of time et voila :P

and hard (and fun) work, and alot of exploring.

One or two of those badges have to do with travelling around and exploring, so fire up that warp drive and get moving. :)

Seriously though, I'm going to be a major explorer in the game.

Offline azareon

• Microvision Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2008, 11:32:59 am »
No no, she said "You will need all the badges to get to the end of the game".

Given that some of the badges require military play, I find this idea very upsetting.  Most good games have multiple paths to victory, and there is no good reason why Spore should decide to have multiple paths except for the very ending.  I really don't want to be forced into exterminating empires just to get the ending.

Offline WeatherMAN

• Sea Battler
  • ^ He's rocking out ^
    • View Profile
    • My Spore Creations!
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2008, 11:37:27 am »
Given that some of the badges require military play, I find this idea very upsetting.  Most good games have multiple paths to victory, and there is no good reason why Spore should decide to have multiple paths except for the very ending.  I really don't want to be forced into exterminating empires just to get the ending.

I don't know about this as there is a major conflict in what has been said... either collecting all the badges to win is wrong... or a badge requiring any form of killing is wrong... or Will Wright is wrong when he said you can beat the game without killing an entire thing (and that it is hard to do and is an achievement)...

Those 3 statements cannot all be true so at least one is false
Visit: My Spore Creations | My Sporepedia Profile
...Please Comment & Vote Them Up! Their may be cookies involved...
OK... so there aren't any cookies... do it because I have an undying need to get approval from people I've never me

Offline SporeKevin

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2008, 11:48:55 am »
Download the file and listen to it.   In the demo audio clip (and yeah, the Maxis demos seem to counterdict each other here and there), at minute 25, she specifically says that the bottom progress bar is for earned badges and that if you fill the bar you achieve "Master badge level 10".  Separately she said you can have a goal to go to the center of the galaxy, but there was no association between those two.   

They keep saying the game is open ended and one can do a lot of different things, so why keep jumping on an odd phrase that one demoer may put out and make it sound like something else?   Certainly they put some challenges in the way of making it to the center of the galaxy, so you'd better have unlocked quite a few tools.   And they've suggested earlier that it'd take 10-15 hours to get there in the space stage.  But really, it all depends on what you want.  Probably after the first time, unless it unlocks something especially interesting, I'd not be going back a second time, and not in a huge rush the first time even.

Offline azareon

• Microvision Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2008, 12:02:41 pm »
Download the file and listen to it.   In the demo audio clip (and yeah, the Maxis demos seem to counterdict each other here and there), at minute 25, she specifically says that the bottom progress bar is for earned badges and that if you fill the bar you achieve "Master badge level 10".  Separately she said you can have a goal to go to the center of the galaxy, but there was no association between those two.   

Yes, you're right, I just got to the point where she mentions the Master Badge level 10, and she actually says you need "enough" badges, not all of them.

EDIT: Wow, she just made Space sound even more awesome than I was thinking.  I am definitely going to try for Master Badge 10.  That will probably take way more than 10-15 hours.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 12:12:15 pm by azareon »

Offline CosmicD

• Omega Racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2008, 01:06:34 pm »
she rephrases, "you must earn all... not all but enough badge points" :) And I ddin't first quite realise why I totally didn't remember this part. But at that moment a draft was going on from the demo room because the door to the hands on room stood open, and there was some looking around for people that wanted to close the window please :), and I was busy holding my recorder out of the wind :P

hehe, some useless trivia, but if I didnt "rearange" myself a bit, all you would hear is wind as it's a sensitive surround recorder.

but anyway I feel we had the right questions to make her elaborate.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 01:21:06 pm by CosmicD »