Author Topic: Bad ratings from german magazine  (Read 11544 times)

Offline DaMuncha

• Lode Runner
  • GREAT SCOTTS!
    • View Profile
Re: Bad ratings from german magazine
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2008, 05:44:04 am »
The game play style that has the least loss is harder, to make it more fun. if they just made social easy that would put no challange into it. Its good game design.

Offline Lippy

• Galaga General
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2008, 06:34:15 am »
This is what I've always expected most of the reviews and scores to be like.  I'd hate to bring up the hardcore/casual designation, but game reviewers are undoubtedly "hardcore gamers", and I would not expect a lot of them to like, or let alone get Spore.  And as such, I couldn't see them reviewing it with what we would call "fairness."  I think it goes without saying that to be able to give an accurate review of a game, you need to assign someone who likes, and plays that types of games to do the reviewing.  The problem is that the game isn't like many other games, and its geared more towards casual gamers.  Hardcore gaming magazines are most likely not going to have any casual gamers on staff to review these games.   I'm curious how those two magazines rate The Sims games.

Offline CosmicD

• Omega Racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2008, 07:07:43 am »
Hmm, I don't think these hardcore gamers should tell that a game which is aimed for everody is bad because there are not enough elements in there to satisfy them. It's a bit like those educated musicians who only listn to classical music and jazz, have lots to say about it but berate the rest. In my view, they don't hold the holy grail so they can tell everyone what criteria should be met in order to categorize something as music or, lame or berate pop music. Jazz and classical music are genres I listen to as well as to trance, new age or ambient or pop.Everyone have their class.

Offline sgore

• SunDog Pilot
  • Actually, Jeopardy is my second favorite game show
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2008, 07:24:29 am »
- Wars easier than diplomacy
Hm. This statement appears to be more true than intended.

If a game lacks a challange...make your own! I did that with the Sims with my Legacy Challenge and I'll probibly do that for Spore once it comes out!

May I say, I look forward to Pinstar's Galactic Civilization Challenge.

Also anybody that can't find a reason to play the game again clearly doesn't get maxis games.
What meme is relevant right now? Look, just imagine I'm riffing on that. Updating signatures is exhausting.

Sam:The Ploofy Master

Offline Zamaza

• Bezerk Brawler
  • Daydreaming at Night
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2008, 07:35:43 am »
For them they didn't get "what they were looking for" in Spore. They brought too many expectations to the game when they reviewed it, and reviewed it for what it's not rather than what it is. Excluding the editors is rather odd. This isn't Civ4 or Warcraft3 where the editor is "bonus" and used by a few people, it's a part of the game. Moreso than an RPG's character creation system. You don't leave that out of the scoring.

In a way I feel sorry for them, it must suck not to enjoy a game for it just being fun instead of having to have a certain something to satisfy you. Then again I'm 22, watch sponge bob, play video games, so I guess I'm used to being more easily entertained by things.

Also, wars easier than diplomacy may come from someone who's used to only having DESTROY THE ENEMY as a playing option XD (Winning civ4 from culture is fun).

Offline DoggySpew

• Scramble Skipper
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2008, 07:35:59 am »

If a game lacks a challange...make your own! I did that with the Sims with my Legacy Challenge and I'll probibly do that for Spore once it comes out!

May I say, I look forward to Pinstar's Galactic Civilization Challenge.

Also anybody that can't find a reason to play the game again clearly doesn't get maxis games.

Picture this : Empire with a thousands planets. Now that is a challenge.

http://www.spore.com/view/profile/DoggySpew

7 Gold, 5 Silver, 4 Bronze on the Olympics.

Offline DaMuncha

• Lode Runner
  • GREAT SCOTTS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2008, 07:40:49 am »
I hate Sponge Bob. I like Squidworth, and that crab guy.

I wonder if sum1 has made sponge bob with the CC yet?

Offline miclee1

• Pong Paddle
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2008, 07:43:23 am »
Hmmmm... I thought there was no replayability? I don't think they even tried diplomacy.

Offline sgore

• SunDog Pilot
  • Actually, Jeopardy is my second favorite game show
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2008, 08:17:35 am »
Hmmmm... I thought there was no replayability? I don't think they even tried diplomacy.
Probably not, sadly. I would have liked an indepth description of the diplomacy features. (Since I'm probably going to be working for it when I play the game)
What meme is relevant right now? Look, just imagine I'm riffing on that. Updating signatures is exhausting.

Sam:The Ploofy Master

Offline SpaceOddity

• Vanguard Venturer
  • Europan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2008, 09:02:48 am »
I would have liked an indepth description of the diplomacy features. (Since I'm probably going to be working for it when I play the game)
I think even the warmongers amongst us will need alliances, since they add oomph to your fleet.
<<<< Click to enter.

Offline Xenomorph1

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2008, 10:22:45 am »
On the Back cover of spore it's says in big letters 1)CREATE so if this guy said the he didn't includes the editors then this is out.
2) Evolve he didn't have patience for this either because he said there is only depth in the space phase.

3) EXPLORE I don't know if he did this right because to sell his magazine ,to be the first to review the game because he knows that spore is going to be big.
When he said War is is easier than diplomacy For me he played on war so he could do the game the easiest way,and not once but many times I heard them saying that it depends on how you play the game it will effect you later on.
4)SHARE then again we come to the first option the Editors because if you don't create you have nothing to share.

CREATE,EVOLVE,EXPLORE & SHARE that's what the box says,what did he do from these !!!!nothing! so why should I listen to this guy,if he doesn't know what the game is all about.

I it's a good thing I know what the Name of his magazine so I won't Buy it.

Offline Kenobro

• Space Harrier
  • I am not a robot!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2008, 10:28:27 am »
They reviewed this bad. Not including editors? If you exclude editors from SPORE, then we should exclude the monitor from a computer. Or the shoot button in Portal.  I don't trust this review.

Quote from: Grazony
Thanks Kenobro. :)

Offline purrp

• Pong Paddle
    • View Profile
    • Best Spore Creature
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2008, 11:17:40 am »
That does make me a bit nervous... the editors are a blast, but I don't know yet how much fun the gameplay itself will be...

But I'll still be getting it on day 1 :)

Offline Kenobro

• Space Harrier
  • I am not a robot!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2008, 11:20:04 am »
Welcome to the forums, purrp.

Anyway, don't trust it. They obviously don't care for anything but depth. It's like they expect a bioshock story and plot in each stage.

Quote from: Grazony
Thanks Kenobro. :)

Offline Darcie

• Intellivision Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Darcie's Spore
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2008, 11:27:15 am »
I bet they had hard core RTS people play it and rate it.  Since it's made for a more general audience it is understandable that people into hard core RTS might find it lacking.  Then again, if average is 50, it did pretty good.