Author Topic: First Spore Review!  (Read 4917 times)

Offline greyarea

• Mystery House Madman
  • Chobox isn't happy.
    • View Profile
Re: First Spore Review!
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2008, 02:42:49 am »
Thanks, reading now :)
A gamingsteve sporecast :)  (not comprehensive at all!)
http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=ssc-500012824849

Offline Xenomorph1

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2008, 03:03:48 am »
All in all the review was in favour of the game.I'm sure the expansions will make depths in the game.for me it's enough when he said that it's much better than the Sim's will ever be.

Offline Ramphastos

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2008, 03:40:14 am »
Seems much that I was expecting, it was a well-written review.  I'm probably going to be in the latter group spoken about on the last page.  I'll love spore but inevitably find it lacking in gameplay depth.  I'll still get the collector's edition though, as a climax to the 2.5 years I've wasted being a spore fan, and I still can't wait until september 5th.  It will be at least entertaining to come across weird and wonderful planets, if the creators are as numerous as they say.

Offline econundrum

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2008, 06:17:32 am »
I never believed that spore was going to be the deepest game in any of the particular areas it tackles. They have hardly pretended otherwise so that's hardly I suprise.

I love the idea of Spore for it's breadth and sheer scope and creativity I don't expect the Civ phase for example to be the deepest, most complex RTS I've ever played.

So over all it sounds like a good review with no real suprises.

"The direct use of force is such a poor solution to any problem, it is generally employed only by small children and large nations."

David Friedman.

http://www.spore.com/view/profile/econundrum

Offline WeatherMAN

• Sea Battler
  • ^ He's rocking out ^
    • View Profile
    • My Spore Creations!
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2008, 06:57:41 am »
I don't think it was as bad as a review as some people have been saying...

Though one thing I would disagree with is his comparison to eating McDonalds... I would compare it more to eating something like the Ultimate Trio at Applebees... for those who don't know what I am talking about, Applebees is kind of a normal sitdown restaurant, I'd say about $10-20 a plate, so not too expensive... The Ultimate Trio is basically your choice of 3 appetizers as your meal... I would compare Spore to this...

Appetizers are smaller versions of the full meal, so let's say creature stage is like Diablo and Diablo is the culinary equivalent of a cheeseburger, while Spore's creature stage is like two small bite sized burgers.. You get the taste and it is good, but if you are looking to a big whopping burger, it won't truly satisfy... However if you just want some burger-like tastes, then the appetizers are the way to go... So if you bust spore up into its individual appetizers and only eat one, you will be disappointed and wanting more, but if you eat them all, it is a satisfying meal where you can experience all of your favorite flavors at the same time instead of just binging on a single taste

But that is from someone who hasn't played the game, worked at McDonalds years ago, and is offended at Spore goodness being compared to McDonalds ;)

That and he said he hated the sims and enjoyed Spore, so that is a good sign in and of itself as he was trying to look at this game from a 'hardcore gamer' (don't start an argument)  perspective
Visit: My Spore Creations | My Sporepedia Profile
...Please Comment & Vote Them Up! Their may be cookies involved...
OK... so there aren't any cookies... do it because I have an undying need to get approval from people I've never me

Offline Lippy

• Galaga General
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2008, 07:06:17 am »
PC Gamer uk has their review out.  Someone made a much better summarization at http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/genmessage.php?board=926714&topic=45024851

It's an actual review, not a preview like the PC Powerplay one is.  PC gamer uk actually talks about the bugs, and the AI, and the problems.  And they've played it for over 50 hours.  We're hoping this one gets scanned too.

EDIT: Now with scans: http://s439.photobucket.com/albums/qq118/CannibalPacman/

« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 07:36:42 am by Lippy »

Offline WeatherMAN

• Sea Battler
  • ^ He's rocking out ^
    • View Profile
    • My Spore Creations!
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2008, 07:35:59 am »
PC Gamer uk has their review out.  Someone made a much better summarization at http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/genmessage.php?board=926714&topic=45024851

It's an actual review, not a preview like the PC Powerplay one is.  PC gamer uk actually talks about the bugs, and the AI, and the problems.  And they've played it for over 50 hours.  We're hoping this one gets scanned too.

Page 2 may contain an interesting link for those want to actually read the full review ;)

Thanks so much Lippy!
Visit: My Spore Creations | My Sporepedia Profile
...Please Comment & Vote Them Up! Their may be cookies involved...
OK... so there aren't any cookies... do it because I have an undying need to get approval from people I've never me

Offline Judhudson

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
    • SporePrograms
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2008, 07:51:12 am »
Arrrgggghhhhhh....EA Download Manager?  Why do we need this for patches?  Did .EXE files suddenly get to difficult for people to install?

The blasted Manager won't even work on my home PC for some reason, even after uninstalling and reinstalling.  And I refuse to put it on my laptop.  *grumbles*
Owner of SporePrograms & SimPrograms
http://www.sporeprograms.com - http://www.simprograms.com

Offline SpaceOddity

• Vanguard Venturer
  • Europan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2008, 08:10:40 am »
Arrrgggghhhhhh....EA Download Manager?

Agreed. One of the reasons I want a physical disk is avoiding that program. It's going to be: install EADM, patch, de-install EADM every time.

This is a good, honest review. Possibly because it fits nicely into what I am expecting of the game: endless wonder, occasional frustrations. :D
<<<< Click to enter.

Offline Lippy

• Galaga General
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2008, 08:24:40 am »
God's accomplishments are starting to look embarrassingly amateur.  He's no AhavoRoaboTaco.

LOL  What a complement. 

I like this review MUCH better than the PC Powerplay "preview." 

Offline Zamaza

• Bezerk Brawler
  • Daydreaming at Night
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2008, 08:26:06 am »
An ACTUAL review, hate to say mostly things I was expecting them to say (not that I care what they say, tbh, still buying more than one copy)

Shame about the couple of bugs there, but I'm sure they'll get squashed. Have to wonder if their crashes were EADM related.

http://www.spore.com/view/profile/ststeel

One of the guys he mentioned in the review. (something about zombie women...)

Offline econundrum

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2008, 08:32:11 am »
Arrrgggghhhhhh....EA Download Manager?  Why do we need this for patches?  Did .EXE files suddenly get to difficult for people to install?

The blasted Manager won't even work on my home PC for some reason, even after uninstalling and reinstalling.  And I refuse to put it on my laptop.  *grumbles*

It is a little off putting but then again it gave me no problems with downloading the spore CC despite the horror stories I've heard.
"The direct use of force is such a poor solution to any problem, it is generally employed only by small children and large nations."

David Friedman.

http://www.spore.com/view/profile/econundrum

Offline Lippy

• Galaga General
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2008, 08:40:40 am »
Having to use the EADM to get patches is most likely another anti-piracy measure.

After reading that review, my hype-o-meter is off the scale. Darn. After trying so hard to stay grounded and not get too excited about it. Now I'm gonna get disappointed. :P  Heh.

Offline ilikesanta

• Karateka Krazy
  • '06 Time Magizine Person of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2008, 09:00:22 am »
He name drops ARTaco!

anyway thats a great review
« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 09:14:17 am by ilikesanta »
I need a new tag.
My Spore Creatures

Offline vonboy

• Centipede Crackerjack
  • the tiniest evil thing known to man and willosaurs
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2008, 09:28:02 am »
though i am kinda conserned with what he said of an alien race he never even met before saying this is the last straw, and declaring war on him, demanding crap loads of money for peace. is this true, or does that guy get something wrong?

i thought they would't attack you unless you pissed them off first?!?!
Quote from: ilikedirt
your spores are wack

Fatal Error: You're creature is crap. You're computer will now explode.

check out my sporepedia page!
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/vonboy