Author Topic: Idea for representing warfare in Spore  (Read 2404 times)

Offline Praetyre

• Space Invaders Junkie
    • View Profile
Idea for representing warfare in Spore
« on: August 20, 2008, 05:48:00 pm »
You know, I've been thinking on how to best represent warfare, land, sea and air, in Spore. In my view, sea warfare will be easiest, given RL fleets generally don't number anything above a few hundred. But even in ancient times, battles with tens of thousands of men took place. So, I think I've come up with a simplified, but reasonable model.

Military units are placed into categories. Main, Support and Elite, all of which have variations in size. The size is represented by tiered "levels", higher ones of which can be unlocked by advancement of technology and population. The sizes would go, roughly:

Infantry- Main:

Size Tier 1: 100
Size Tier 2: 1000
Size Tier 3: 5000
Size Tier 4: 10,000
Size Tier 5: 100,000

Infantry- Support:

Size Tier 1: 50
Size Tier 2: 250
Size Tier 3: 1000
Size Tier 4: 10,000
Size Tier 5: 50,000

Infantry- Elite:

Size Tier 1: 10
Size Tier 2: 100
Size Tier 3: 500
Size Tier 4: 1000
Size Tier 5: 10,000

Land Vehicle- Main:

Size Tier 1: 5
Size Tier 2: 20
Size Tier 3: 100
Size Tier 4: 500
Size Tier 5: 1000

Land Vehicle- Support:

Size Tier 1: 5
Size Tier 2: 15
Size Tier 3: 50
Size Tier 4: 100
Size Tier 5: 500

Land Vehicle- Elite:

Size Tier 1: 1
Size Tier 2: 5
Size Tier 3: 10
Size Tier 4: 50
Size Tier 5: 100

Air Vehicle- Main:
Size Tier 1: 2
Size Tier 2: 10
Size Tier 3: 50
Size Tier 4: 100
Size Tier 5: 250

Air Vehicle- Support:
Size Tier 2: 5
Size Tier 3: 10
Size Tier 4: 50
Size Tier 5: 100

Air Vehicle- Elite:
Size Tier 2: 2
Size Tier 3: 5
Size Tier 4: 10
Size Tier 5: 20

Battle would be handled in a way akin to the Heroes of Might and Magic series:

Though it would be on a real time world map, with stacks attacking and moving around. That way, you can stay within the technical limits of the game while offering realistic numbers and large-scale warfare, even at levels like that of planetary occupation. Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 06:04:36 pm by Praetyre »

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
Re: Idea for representing warfare in Spore
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008, 06:03:34 pm »
AFAIK there is technically no infantry in city stage.

Nice idea though.

Offline Praetyre

• Space Invaders Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008, 06:06:18 pm »
No infantry? Well, that sucks. Here's hoping for a mod or expansion for that (along with a combo of naval and air scale and tactics for space).

How would you have battles in a pre-WW1-level-of-tech era, though?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 06:10:10 pm by Praetyre »

Offline MageLite

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2008, 06:21:00 pm »
No thanks to turn-based combat. The rest of the game is in real-time, so should warfare.

Personally I would have liked their to be three 'tiers' of units, of increasing cost and strength, and a player can create one vehicle type for each.

Offline Praetyre

• Space Invaders Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2008, 06:38:30 pm »
Ah.. sorry if I didn't make that clear. It would be in stacks, but real time, and on the world map.

Offline MageLite

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2008, 06:41:19 pm »
Ah.. sorry if I didn't make that clear. It would be in stacks, but real time, and on the world map.

Still not fond of that Idea. I think total realism has gone out the window at this point, so I would prefer more traditional RTS style combat.

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2008, 06:45:50 pm »

How are you supposed to create stacks when they move around in real time? There is a reason they kept the combat simple to just having something for air, land and sea.

Offline Praetyre

• Space Invaders Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2008, 06:50:44 pm »
You create stacks as individual types of unit, which represent different numbers of a particular unit. It wouldn't actually be that different to traditional RTS combat, besides the mechanic of representation. You'd basically have something like clicking on Tier II Gongabonga Bigtank, sending it over in real time to attack the two Tier I Logobooga Jeeps and watching the fireworks, but instead of health, it would have numbers.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 07:05:42 pm by Praetyre »

Offline Haseri

• Lode Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2008, 05:24:27 am »
No infantry? Well, that sucks. Here's hoping for a mod or expansion for that (along with a combo of naval and air scale and tactics for space).

How would you have battles in a pre-WW1-level-of-tech era, though?

There isn't any infantry, I'm guessing, because the scale of Civ Phase is too large for infantry. Besides, it would probably be quite hard to animate all of your creatures in armour and weapons. That sort of thing is possible in Tribal, as you only have a handful of creatures. And HoM&M-style combat is only suited for turn based, really.

For Pre-WW1, I suggest making your vehicles, ships and planes look primative. For example, when you start out, only let your vehicles have wheels and have wood-like textures. Then, as you capture cities, you can signify that as advancing in technological capabilty and 'celebrate' by upgrading vehicles. An idea would be to have a vehicle based on Leonardo de Vinci's tank designs sometime after say, your 6th victory.

For other times, you'd have to use some imagination. Early on, how about a Trojan Horse-esque land vehicle. And close to the end, stuff inspired from Steam Punk?

Offline econundrum

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2008, 06:22:48 am »
It's a little bit redundant to suggest this a few days before Spore comes out, you know it's gone gold right?

There is plenty of information on the web about how spore does handle Civ combat.
"The direct use of force is such a poor solution to any problem, it is generally employed only by small children and large nations."

David Friedman.

http://www.spore.com/view/profile/econundrum

Offline Praetyre

• Space Invaders Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2008, 02:50:34 pm »
It's a little bit redundant to suggest this a few days before Spore comes out, you know it's gone gold right?

There is plenty of information on the web about how spore does handle Civ combat.

Ah, there is? My mistake, then. Perhaps this could be a good idea for something else, then.

Anyway, I don't see why vaguely HOMAM-esque fighting isn't feasible in real time. You wouldn't actually be increasing numbers and combining units, just being able to create different versions of your units with higher "health"/numbers. The same principle wouldn't apply to wet navy ships, since in numbers, at least historically, they haven't reached documented highs like tanks did at Kursk with 6300 tanks total, or aircraft did at the Battle of Britain with 6307 aircraft total, so it makes sense to only have a 1:1 scale for them.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 02:57:16 pm by Praetyre »

Offline econundrum

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2008, 07:26:07 am »

Ah, there is? My mistake, then. Perhaps this could be a good idea for something else, then.

Anyway, I don't see why vaguely HOMAM-esque fighting isn't feasible in real time. You wouldn't actually be increasing numbers and combining units, just being able to create different versions of your units with higher "health"/numbers. The same principle wouldn't apply to wet navy ships, since in numbers, at least historically, they haven't reached documented highs like tanks did at Kursk with 6300 tanks total, or aircraft did at the Battle of Britain with 6307 aircraft total, so it makes sense to only have a 1:1 scale for them.

I wouldn't argue that it's not feasable, just that it isn't how they choose to go with the combat. It has a lot less depth it's fairly simple using Air land and sea vechles. Not a big complex strategic simulation.

"The direct use of force is such a poor solution to any problem, it is generally employed only by small children and large nations."

David Friedman.

http://www.spore.com/view/profile/econundrum