Poll

What direct would you prefer a new Chrono Trigger sequel take?

Direct Sequel
6 (85.7%)
Indirect Sequel
1 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Author Topic: Chrono Trigger sequel poll  (Read 3089 times)

Offline Kregaaron

• Lunar Lander Leader
    • View Profile
Chrono Trigger sequel poll
« on: August 20, 2008, 12:49:19 pm »
To define what I mean by the choices

Direct Sequel, think Star Wars, Terminator, Lord of the rings, etc.

Indirect Sequel, think some of the Star Trek movies (like star trek 4 as a sequel to star trek 2), AVP movies in relation to the predator and alien movies, Chrono Cross (well, I guess that is a good example as any for this topic  ;D )

I would personally prefer a direct sequel myself, not in the vein of Chrono Cross, but in the vain that star wars episode 5 was to episode 4, (basically a true chrono trigger 2) but that is just me. (Hey, I can always dream  ;) )

I know sometimes this topic can get heated, so please, no flame wars, no attacking anyone´s opinions please. I just am curious as to Chrono Trigger fans opinions on what direction a future sequel should take place.

*feel free to say how you voted and to explain your vote*
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 05:08:24 pm by Kregaaron »

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
Re: Chrono Trigger sequel poll
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008, 12:52:16 pm »
I'd like another direct sequel, if they did it right. Although Chrono Cross was just right.

Offline Kregaaron

• Lunar Lander Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008, 02:16:16 pm »
I think you mean an direct sequel, since they have not made one yet? Cross was an indirect sequel, vaguely at that also I believe. But I probably just misinterpreted what you typed, sometimes I do that  :D

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2008, 03:10:51 pm »
Chrono Cross was a direct sequel.

Offline Kregaaron

• Lunar Lander Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2008, 03:28:45 pm »
I would say it was more of an indirect sequel, it was a Chrono Trigger Sequel in the same sense Star Trek DS9 is a follow up to the original series. A Chrono Trigger (though, I would call it more of a Chrono Cross fanpage) fanpage put it in better words.

¨The other instance in which the game might legitimately be called a sequel is the case of convenience. It might be a reasonable convenience to call Chrono Cross a sequel, if one is simply referring to that game’s major plot events and standing in the Chrono universe. "Sequel" is an easier concept for people to digest, and most people aren’t going to care about the distinction anyway; thus, most of the time it hardly matters. However, if pressed -- or if the issue is important -- it would be better to give the more nuanced explanation that Chrono Cross is only a sequel of the most indirect of sorts, and that properly it is an addendum of Chrono Trigger,¨

http://www.chronocompendium.com/Stories/36
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 04:28:47 pm by Kregaaron »

gec05

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2008, 03:32:15 pm »
Well it seemed quite a few generations removed from the original characters, so I was wondering more about them. I don't think Chrono Cross was a bad game, so I guess that sets the standard for any new Chrono sequel that it always has a fresh new cast each game yet vaguely refers to older characters. I don't know since there was only one sequel, but apparently two more were planned but scraped.

Offline Kregaaron

• Lunar Lander Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2008, 03:34:21 pm »
Yeah, I know what you mean Gec, which is why I said I can always dream with my idea of a Chrono sequel, (Ala a Chrono Trigger 2, not a Chrono Cross) given I am sure what I want will not happen hehe. Though, it is easily recognizable that the common reaction is that Cross was a disappointment in terms of a sequel (1up I believe featured it twice in that regard)  , so maybe not? Still, the poll is about what people would want, rather than what is expected to happen.

My views on Cross as a standalone game are fairly common, that it is alright game, but not a good sequel.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 12:27:15 am by Kregaaron »