Author Topic: PC Powerplay Spore REVIEW  (Read 14611 times)

Offline rflagg

• Boot Hill Bandit
    • View Profile
Re: PC Powerplay Spore REVIEW
« Reply #90 on: August 21, 2008, 10:01:27 am »
Portal and Bioshock were both more than just "FPS with gimmick", unless a story is considered gimmicky.  Having a reason to actually continue with the game, to me, can make or break the game.  I know and understand everyone has different tastes, and obviously some people don't like Portal.  But it's not a casual game just because it can be beat in 2 hours.  My mom plays the Wii, but she'd never touch Portal.

And saying that one is a hardcore gamer without giving all platforms a fair chance sounds kind of like an oxymoron.  But as mentioned over and over in this thread, the whole idea of 'hardcore' and 'casual' gamers is silly.  No one should feel threatened simply because gaming in general is becoming mainstream.

-m.

Offline skewedjester

• Video Pinball Wizard
  • The Book of Jester holds the truth...usually.
    • View Profile
    • My Sporepedia Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 21, 2008, 10:12:16 am »
Can't we all just agree that all gamers, no matter how they are perceived on some arbitrary casual/hardcore scale, have the inalienable right to play games? Especially Spore?

Offline creiij

• Phoenix Fighter
  • I'm a jerk! A j-e-r-k!
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 21, 2008, 10:17:26 am »
Don't know if I can post scans on this forum, if not, please remove this post as soon as possible.

Found this at hookedonspores forum
http://www.hookedonspore.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3963

Offline Miclee

• Donkey Kong King
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 21, 2008, 10:42:44 am »
THANK YOU!  ;D
Hmmm... Impossible Creatures was awesome. I remember playing it alot.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 10:47:35 am by Miclee »

Offline whistlinjoe

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 21, 2008, 10:49:30 am »
Hardcore gamers are gamers who buy many games monthly and play them many many hours a week.

I hate to break it to, but if you buy 'many games monthly' you aren't a hardcore gamer, you're a hardcore sucker who buys every piece of crap put out.  But thanks for the oh so elegant description of a true 'hardcore gamer'. ::)

Offline Gorman Conall

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 21, 2008, 10:54:10 am »
Hardcore gamers are gamers who buy many games monthly and play them many many hours a week.

I hate to break it to, but if you buy 'many games monthly' you aren't a hardcore gamer, you're a hardcore sucker who buys every piece of crap put out.  But thanks for the oh so elegant description of a true 'hardcore gamer'. ::)

Oh and its fact that those games are crap?. No its your opinion and sorry one since were not even talking about any specific games for you to have an opinion that they are crap on.

A hardcore gamers main hobby is games. Therefore the hardcore gamer tends to buy (or rent) a lot of games.

A causal gamers main hobby is not games.

Offline Null

• Tempest Top Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 21, 2008, 10:54:16 am »
Haha so then you agree that its the same for the likes of Halo, GTA , And final fantasy?

Because you just know if enough people agree on something it must be true  

Or if you dont like it it must be false?  :P  ;D

Offline Gorman Conall

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 21, 2008, 10:56:12 am »
Haha so then you agree that its the same for the likes of Halo, GTA , And final fantasy?

Because you just know if enough people agree on something it must be true 

Or if you dont like it it must be false?  :P  ;D

Not exactly. The point is just because it got that much praise does not mean it deserves it.

Don't you agree that Halo is overrated?.

Offline Miclee

• Donkey Kong King
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 21, 2008, 11:02:13 am »
Quote from review: "Of course, the game, in keeping with it's theme of accessibility, will allow you to progress to the next stage even if you haven't completed the current one, as long as you played some of it." Cool.

Offline whistlinjoe

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 21, 2008, 11:12:16 am »

Oh and its fact that those games are crap?. No its your opinion and sorry one since were not even talking about any specific games for you to have an opinion that they are crap on.

A hardcore gamers main hobby is games. Therefore the hardcore gamer tends to buy (or rent) a lot of games.

A causal gamers main hobby is not games.

Whatever...sucker  :-*

Even your two examples of 'hardcore' games are Half-Life and Starcraft.  When did those come out again?  A couple of months ago?  You're right, many hardcore games come out every month and must be bought or rented. 

Here is an opinion:  Only 4-5  (stretching it) games come out every YEAR that are worth the time it takes to play them.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 11:16:36 am by whistlinjoe »

Offline Gorman Conall

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 21, 2008, 11:18:01 am »
How is when they came out relevant?.

I just used them because they are both widely known.

And thats only your opinion. Sorry but my favorite games aren't the over hyped blockbusters like Halo and GTA.

In fact my all time favorite game is monster hunter. And at the moment I'm playing samurai warriors 2 empires and coliseum the road to glory. I don't buy games i don't like.

The only crap game that exists is in a personal opinion.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 11:20:52 am by Gorman Conall »

Offline beta592

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 21, 2008, 11:21:11 am »
Wow, that was a terrible review. He didn't hardly mention any of the Space gameplay other than to say it was limitless. How were the interactions between other races? How was space combat with the posse? Is it possible to land troops on other planets without setting up a colony? He spent more time overviewing the stages than he did talking about his experiences with them. In regards to his disappointment with creature combat, that was completely expected. Sure it doesn't break any new ground but isn't that how most FPS and RTS work. You click on the enemy and the tank keeps firing until its destroyed or in the case of a FPS you run out of ammo. I would have thought he'd have taken issue with the fact that a mouse size creature can take on an elephant sized creature. Yet he still gives it a 9/10 despite his dislike. What level of difficulty did he play on?

Bad Review

Offline BlueSabor

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 21, 2008, 11:26:09 am »
Wow, that was a terrible review. He didn't hardly mention any of the Space gameplay other than to say it was limitless. How were the interactions between other races? How was space combat with the posse? Is it possible to land troops on other planets without setting up a colony? He spent more time overviewing the stages than he did talking about his experiences with them. In regards to his disappointment with creature combat, that was completely expected. Sure it doesn't break any new ground but isn't that how most FPS and RTS work. You click on the enemy and the tank keeps firing until its destroyed or in the case of a FPS you run out of ammo. I would have thought he'd have taken issue with the fact that a mouse size creature can take on an elephant sized creature. Yet he still gives it a 9/10 despite his dislike. What level of difficulty did he play on?

Bad Review

I absolutely agree!
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 11:28:25 am by BlueSabor »

Offline Hyfrydle

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 21, 2008, 11:28:24 am »
Was more like a preview in my opinion didn't seem to scratch the surface of any actual gameplay. I learnt nothing I didn't already know.

On a positive not I really enjoy the Sims style of game so hopefully Spore will not disappoint.

Offline whistlinjoe

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 21, 2008, 11:49:05 am »
How is when they came out relevant?.

I just used them because they are both widely known.

And thats only your opinion. Sorry but my favorite games aren't the over hyped blockbusters like Halo and GTA.

In fact my all time favorite game is monster hunter. And at the moment I'm playing samurai warriors 2 empires and coliseum the road to glory. I don't buy games i don't like.

The only crap game that exists is in a personal opinion.

Lets get this straight then:
1) You are 'hardcore'
2) Hardcore gamers 'buy many games monthly '
3) You 'don't buy games i don't like'

Logic would tell us you buy many games every month and like them all.  I didn't know there were that many hardcore games released every month.   What ones were released last month?  You obviously bought many that you liked as your previous statements would indicate so recommend some for us.

The funniest part to me is that a person whose favorite game is a console title (Monster Hunter) could have the gall to say that 'casual gamers' are ruining it for 'hardcore gamers'.   Psst...console gamers are dumbing games down FOR EVERYONE!  Or so I hear.  Is that true?  Why would such a self proclaimed 'hardcore gamer' contribute to the simplifying of games? 

I quit though.  You win.

PS:  Monster Hunter 3 is going to be a Wii exclusive.  Thats gotta be a kick to the nuts, huh?