Author Topic: First Spore Review -coming soon!  (Read 8171 times)

Offline Petike

• Stargate Superstar
    • View Profile
First Spore Review -coming soon!
« on: August 17, 2008, 09:18:13 am »
It will be released on the 20th, in Australia.

Quote from: MasterChiToes in "Spore was dumbed down"
Maybe the Sporons are the ones that got dumbed down?  ;D

Offline Ultramarine

• Bungeling Bay Raider
  • Whatever.
    • View Profile
Re: First Spore Review -coming soon!
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2008, 09:39:19 am »
When it does come out it better be good >:(
Or I'm going to have to go postal.
Kid: Oh wow I'm being deflowered by a grown woman!
Mother: By the way I'm your mother
Kid: OH GOD NO

EDIT: That's where it becomes rape if you were wondering.

ヽ(`∇)人(∇`)人(`∇)ノ   (゚д゚; )

Offline Odys

• Fire Truck Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2008, 09:41:34 am »

What he said.
Believe what you see

Check out my Spore Creations!

Offline Judhudson

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
    • SporePrograms
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2008, 09:45:31 am »

So you are going to ship yourself?  :P  ;)
Owner of SporePrograms & SimPrograms
http://www.sporeprograms.com - http://www.simprograms.com

Offline Ultramarine

• Bungeling Bay Raider
  • Whatever.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2008, 09:46:40 am »
Yes, and kill the guy who published it ;) >:(
Kid: Oh wow I'm being deflowered by a grown woman!
Mother: By the way I'm your mother
Kid: OH GOD NO

EDIT: That's where it becomes rape if you were wondering.

ヽ(`∇)人(∇`)人(`∇)ノ   (゚д゚; )

Offline Null

• Tempest Top Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2008, 09:57:13 am »
Only a number of reviews by many different people can give a truly accurate representation; nevertheless I am very concerned about the relative strength and depth of the individual stages and I hope to find out if my concern is justified soon or not. Oh, I hope not. REALLY, really hope not.

Offline toreen

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2008, 11:06:23 am »
i think that the spore reviews should give separate review to each phase

Offline Shadowgandor

• Scramble Skipper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2008, 11:16:24 am »
No, that would be the same as reviewing the scenes in a movie, rather then the movie itself. It's not the complete picture IMO.

Anyway, if the review is meh, I would still get spore, I mean, I already love the CC trial, the full game is a lot deeper then the CC only so...:P

Offline Fobok

• Fishing Derby Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2008, 11:52:37 am »
Personally, I never pay attention to review scores. I know the kinds of game I like, and it's often different than what reviewers like. Thus, I try to read between the lines, looking for the things I may like but the reviewer doesn't.

For example, many game reviewers complain when games are too easy, because they're for the most part hard core gamers. I'm *not* that skilled a player, so many of the games they find too easy end up being perfect for me.

Another example, Sims 2. The Pets expansion, which was by far my favourite, received many bad reviews among many great ones, according to metacritic. The bad reviews pretty much all agree that it's bad because it's lacking things for the human Sims to do, while the good reviews seem to find enjoyment, like I did, in interacting with the pets... which, really, is what the expansion was about. The totally different viewpoints in the reviews give a very different picture of the expansion. If I'd read one of those bad reviews and trusted it, I might have missed the expansion.

Or look at one of the reviews of the first of the new Sam and Max episodes. 'Each little cartoon snippet you unlock is fun, but eventually you find yourself asking why you have to do so much work for them -- it's like watching a cartoon on a DVD player powered by a hand crank.' (1UP). Which, really, basically completely misses the point of the classic adventure games.

So basically, I don't trust reviewers to have the same tastes, or even genre knowledge, to review Spore properly.

Offline SporeKevin

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2008, 12:02:14 pm »
I agree with Fobok.

Then again, really, do very many of the forum members here need a printed review to help decide on getting Spore?!   

After all the bad games I've gotten the past, some well reviewed, and others just a bad choice for my interests, it seems like less of risk to get Spore.   I probably have put more time into reading forums, watching the demo videos (repeatedly) and playing the CC, than I've put into actually playing many other games I've gotten in the past.  So the 'risk' is really low.

The big issue for me was whether to get the regular game, or the one with the videos and books.   I went with the Galactic edition in the end (preorder) just because after all this fixation on the game, it seems like a reasonable reward (or is that, feeding the addiction?).   Not like any other game coming out this year is as interesting for getting a special edition...

Offline Null

• Tempest Top Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2008, 12:12:28 pm »
Reviews are simply opinions by people, and opinions differ for many reasons. Obviously.

And of course they will not always be relevant to you. Duh.

However if spore consistently gets bad reviews it would be stupid to ignore it all as completely irrelevant. For me, if the gameplay is too vapid, shallow, and boring then what is the point of making things in creators if you cant DO anything with them that can hold your interest long-term? I make things to DO things with them and if the things to DO with them are not compelling enough, theres no point. Everything I have seen of spore is nice, but how fun and how long it can keep being fun are the clinchers for me. Some people who review that will understand, but it will be the reviews of the people here on this forum, your experiences, that will make or break it for me. Even if it sucks, I might get it anyways, but I might not. It all depends.

Offline Skraeling

• Akalabeth Addict
  • My what big teeth I have.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2008, 01:28:19 pm »
Surprised i'm the first to say this but..... what the hell they get it on the 20th?

No, really.  I am a card carrying scientist.

Offline creiij

• Phoenix Fighter
  • I'm a jerk! A j-e-r-k!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2008, 01:31:34 pm »
Well, I will get it. Scans of it that is, I don't live near that place at all =). I should not read it, because I rely to much on review scores, but I know that when the pages are up on the net, I won't be able to refuse.

Offline immortius

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2008, 02:21:52 pm »
Surprised i'm the first to say this but..... what the hell they get it on the 20th?

Yes, the magazine with the review comes out on the 20th.

I have a subscription, so I'll certainly be getting it.

Offline Fobok

• Fishing Derby Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2008, 02:43:46 pm »
For me, if the gameplay is too vapid, shallow, and boring

But how will a review tell you if it is? Many people think Sims 2 is, but that doesn't stop it getting good reviews. The fact that I think it's incredibly deep and fun doesn't stop other people from thinking it's shallow and boring either, and reviewing it as such. Reviews are all opinion, as you said, and especially whether a game is fun or boring comes down to opinion.

I don't need reviews to know I'll enjoy Spore. After 3 years of gameplay videos, I know I will, even if they *only* include the stuff we've seen in those gameplay videos. Heck, if they just included graphically updated SPUG and Space prototypes with the editors, I'd enjoy it. I'm having more fun with those little prototypes than I am with most of the full games I own.

Given that Will Wright said in a recent interview that the game ended up a lot deeper than he originally intended, too, should say something.