Author Topic: The Grand RP OOC  (Read 40712 times)

Offline PatMan33

• The Nameless One
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • Google
The Grand RP OOC
« on: August 16, 2008, 12:45:54 pm »
The Grand RP

Welcome to The Grand RP at the Gaming Steve forum! The goal of this project is to provide a stable and structured place from which we can create all means of RPs for our members to participate in. People who join The Grand RP will be part of a group of Role Players that want to get the best experience possible. Anyone and everyone can join The Grand RP!

The way that The Grand RP works is very simple. First off, you'll have to join The Grand RP if you want to be a part of any of the projects associated with it. It's nothing major and you can come and go as you please, there are no obligations. Next, the person who will be playing the villain is selected via a lottery system. Finally, the Wheel O' Genres (which can be found at the bottom of this very post) is spun to determine the genre of the RP. After that we play. That's the basic outline; however, there are other guidelines to help keep things in order.

Guidelines
  • To begin, if you want to play in The Grand RP you must have read both the RP Guidelines and the Creation Guide.
  • As far as being in the lottery to play the villain role, it has been decided to limit admission. You may only be in the villain lottery if you've been a part of an RP on the Gaming Steve forum that has reached its conclusion. This will be enforced. Never fear though, The Grand RP counts, so once you've finished one of them you are free to be a villain!
  • A person may not play the villain role twice in a row. The person that played the villain in the most recent Grand RP will be excluded from the next villain lottery.
  • If you've been chosen to be the villain and you do not have any ideas or are unhappy with the choice of genre, you are free to pass your turn. Should that happen, the villain lottery will be run again without the name of the person that passed.
  • Finally, if the players are not happy with the RP's genre, they may initiate a vote to re-spin the Wheel O' Genres. A majority of the players must want a re-spin for it to happen.

And there you have it, that's all you need to know to be a part of The Grand RP! Up next, Krakow Sam will be explaining the coveted Wheel O' Genres. Once that is completed, The Grand RP will open up for registration. After that we'll kick things off!

Table of Contents
Whetstone's War - Information Station
Rise of the Mutants - Information Station
A Mage's Wager - Information Station
The Lazarus Lounge - Information Station
The Deep West - Information Station

The Villain Lottery
Gorman Conall
Inkling
Krakow Sam
Neoadept
PatMan33
Zolinn

Known Players
(for harassing and such)

Badger Man 22
Erops
Gorman Conall
Inkling
Kenotai
Krakow Sam
Martyk
Neoadept
PatMan33
SerenityGrace
Yossitaru

The Wheel O' Genres Mk II

And some brief explanations...

• Science Fiction: Science Fiction is described simply as a realm in which the laws of nature reign supreme. All that is and all that shall be has been tirelessly researched and developed. Be it the future, the past, or some alternate reality, science rules the day in this far-fetched, yet oddly familiar genre. Set phasers to "stun" and prepare yourself for adventures that may very well span the galaxy.
  • Disaster: The Disaster genre is one of those wildly popular genres that depicts the world (any world) during or after some sort of cataclysm which has brought society to its knees. Protagonists face death around every corner as the world around them becomes their enemy. Be it natural, man-made, or some sort of mutant zombie apocalypse, the disaster genre lends itself to heroics of the highest order.
  • Western: A Western is your typical gun-slinging, hat-wearing, horse-riding adventure that takes place in the Wild West. There's the good guys, the bad guys, and the people that need to get out of Dodge before things go south. The motifs and themes found in Westerns are often retrofitted to work in more modern settings, as well. A "Western" need not be confined to 19th century Kansas.
  • Horror: Horror has one purpose and one purpose only and that is to elicit emotional responses from the audience by putting the characters through situations that are scary, stressful, sad, and everything in between. There's definitely a morbid slant to this genre; however, the stories told oftentimes contain valuable lessons about navigating through the game of life.
  • Fantasy: When the laws of nature decide to take a vacation, you end up with Fantasy. Be it magic, superpowers, or just strange things you can't really place, Fantasy is ideal for those worlds that cannot be bound by simple logic or reason. Stories in this genre usually unfold on a grand scale and bring together mysterious and wonderful forces from every corner of the kingdom.
  • c-c-c-COMBO!: The Combo option allows for some quirky variety. If this option should win out, the Wheel O' Genres will be sent spinning twice more and whatever two genres are selected will be combined together to form an amalgamation of the two. What's a Disaster-Western? I don't know! But maybe we'll get to find out! Also, if the Combo space is landed on again during the re-roll, the Wheel will be spun twice more and a total of THREE genres will be chosen! Disaster-Western-Fantasy, anyone? Three spins is the maximum number of times the Wheel is allowed to be spun.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 05:31:52 pm by PatMan33 »

Offline Krakow Sam

• The Nameless One
  • Halloween sux.
    • View Profile
Re: The Grand RP OOC
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2008, 01:25:48 pm »
I present to you the product of behind the scenes labours and toils. The fantasmagorical and wonderfax Wheel O' Genre!

No more endless discussions about what sort of story to do. Just get an independent adjudicator to roll a standard six-sided dice!

1. Horror is a story designed to scare people, with dark themes and lots of suspense. Examples include the films of Alfred Hitchcock and the novels of Steven King and H.P. Lovecraft.

2. Thrillers are stories to get your pulse racing, featuring suspense, tension and lots of action. Examples include the novels of Michael Crichton and a bunch more of Alfred Hitchcock's films.

3. Fantasy stories take place in worlds where the normal rules of reality take a vacation, fantasy ranges in tone from low to high, determined by just how different from the real world the setting is. Examples include the books of Tolkein and CS Lewis, and the films of Terry Gilliam.

4. The studious little brother of Fantasy. At its core, a Sci-fi story takes our world and give it a little twist (usually based around remarkable technology or strange discoveries), extrapolating that twist to its eventual conclusion. Examples include the books of Jules Verne and H.G. Wells, and the Star Trek TV series.

5. Comicbook stories, for the purposes of this wheel, are flashy, over the top action pieces, often featuring heroes with remarkable abilities. This style blends well with just about any story. Examples include Comic books, graphic novels and their movie and tv adaptations.

6. C-c-c-COMBO! Roll the dice twice more and combine the results! Try to wrap your head around the cosmic terrors of a Horror-Fantasy tale, or a WW2 fought with lasers in a Thriller-Sci-fi!
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Spooky Tesla

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • Big style.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2008, 04:41:04 pm »
I'm still in.
I'll kiss anything that moves.

Offline Andrew Ryan

• Wasteland Warrior
  • A man has a choice, I chose the impossible!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2008, 04:42:45 pm »
Still in too.
"Don't worry 'bout me. I wouldn't worry about me. Don't you worry about me. Don't you worry 'bout me!" - Talking Heads, Don't Worry About the Government

Offline Daxx

• TV Smasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2008, 05:32:52 pm »
I've been reassured that sporadic free time should not be an issue. I guess I'm in, with the proviso that I want to be excluded from all villain lotteries since I don't want to disappoint people.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2008, 06:49:07 pm by Daxx »

Offline Kcronos

• Commando Soldier
  • The Dark Time Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2008, 05:48:56 pm »
I am in.  I don't qualify for villian, however...
* Plank of Wood slaps

GET A HOLD OF YOURSELF MAN. THE REVIEWS DO NOT EFFECT ANYTHING EVER.

QFT

Offline Little

• Crossbow Sharpshooter
  • I'm a drunk...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2008, 08:55:32 pm »
I'm in, if allowed.
The best person ever.  She should have won the Peace Prize.

What? No full control over children? You do realize that some of us have particular plans for those children.

Offline Kenotai

• Mappy Meowky
  • あたしはファブルスですわ!ウグ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2008, 10:07:19 am »
Still in.  You said I could help, what was your intended meaning of "help"?
Visit, Vote, Vykusi - New Poll 9/01/08

Quote from: Little
I, for a fact, quite like Keno[tai]. He's my favorite.

Offline PatMan33

• The Nameless One
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • Google
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2008, 10:14:26 am »
Well, you weren't around when I suggested you should be so it looks like you missed the boat on that. Stuff gets done fast around here sometimes. :)

Doesn't mean you can't play though! We should be starting the first game soon.

Offline Spooky Tesla

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • Big style.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2008, 10:15:38 am »
How long is each game expected to be?
I'll kiss anything that moves.

Offline PatMan33

• The Nameless One
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • Google
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2008, 10:20:01 am »
A single story arc, so about fifteen to thirty forum pages. If everyone stays with it, it could be done in ten days. Shorter is better, the best RP (arguably) that's happened on this forum was only 22 pages long.

Offline Krakow Sam

• The Nameless One
  • Halloween sux.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2008, 10:23:16 am »
Well, first thing's first, we need to do the villain lottery.

Everyone who wants to be a villain and meets the qualifications please speak up now, and we'll add your name to the hat of evil.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Kenotai

• Mappy Meowky
  • あたしはファブルスですわ!ウグ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2008, 10:29:40 am »
Well, you weren't around when I suggested you should be so it looks like you missed the boat on that. Stuff gets done fast around here sometimes. :).
I was sick most of the week unfortunately, so I couldn't do IRC.  :(

This should still be fun.  :D
Visit, Vote, Vykusi - New Poll 9/01/08

Quote from: Little
I, for a fact, quite like Keno[tai]. He's my favorite.

Offline PatMan33

• The Nameless One
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • Google
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2008, 10:48:08 am »
Well, first thing's first, we need to do the villain lottery.

Everyone who wants to be a villain and meets the qualifications please speak up now, and we'll add your name to the hat of evil.

I'll throw my name in. What about you Sam, you in?

Offline Huckbuck

• Goddess of Phobos
  • I still haunt this place from time to time
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2008, 11:08:55 am »
I'm in.