Author Topic: Religion's role in spore  (Read 25656 times)

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
    • KOSMOSIS CHRONICLES dA Page
Re: Religion's role in spore
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2008, 07:53:11 pm »
But then again, Pride was a genocidal psychopath. ::)

Can't we all just let this thread die instead of picking on small tidbits of religion and calling other people insane?

Cause in the end, all of our science may be wrong, two times two might equal fish and it might be that at the very last second when religion will finally be exterminated and removed from the last individual will a deity come and prove that the scientific people are the insane ones and they'll all be disconnected from life support, resulting in eternal pain and agony in a dark and featureless plane of scorching energy.

People are stupid. Every single one of them. :)

Stop the hype and let this thread die. The thing has been discussed for ages.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2008, 07:57:31 pm by Yuu »

Offline Slavic

• Pong Paddle
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2008, 07:58:48 pm »
History has shown that religion is too much of an influence to not be included in a game that includes advancing civilizations.  Taking religion out of this game for the sake of "realism" makes as much sense as taking out technology.

End of story.

Offline laurenke

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile
    • The Sporum
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2008, 08:11:45 pm »
As an atheist, I'd rather have the option (in Spore) to have a religious society and not use it than not have the option at all.

And, Wright's quote about the atheist/religious "controversy" has been taken out of context in nearly every reprint I've seen to the point that the media sources are basically creating a story out of nothing.  But then that's nothing new, is it?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2008, 08:16:50 pm by laurenke »
The Sporum
The Sims 2, Spore, Heroes, Custom Content, and more

Offline Speussipus

• Microvision Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2008, 08:12:39 pm »
The problem people have isn't with the presence of religion. The problem is with the presence of religious magic, aka miracles.

-FrL-

Offline outlander_biz

• Microvision Master
  • Muwahaha (evil laugh, shh don't tell anyone)
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2008, 08:31:25 pm »
The problem people have isn't with the presence of religion. The problem is with the presence of religious magic, aka miracles.

-FrL-

I agree.  What I believe is the problem is that nobody will just allow themselves to see it as if the Miracles are products of science that the "church" are using to deceive the public.  When I play and have either a religious race or encounter a religious race I will assume that said miracles are in fact children of science, disguised as miracles. 
I believe in compulsory cannibalism. If people were forced to eat what they killed there would be no more war

Offline DaMuncha

• Lode Runner
  • GREAT SCOTTS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2008, 08:33:02 pm »
Think of them more as cheats

Cheat: Heal All

Cheat: Holocaust

Cheat: Plague

Cheat: Epic Sized
etc.

You certainly cant do those things in real life, religion included, but you can do those things in game. And the important thing is you dont have to use them. you can play the game how ever you want. But remember its a game. it doesnt need to be overly accurate, it doesnt need to be extremely fictional. It just needs to be fun.

Offline Odys

• Fire Truck Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2008, 08:57:27 pm »
Hey, if it adds another element of gameplay and allows me to play the game longer, then go ahead it throw it in, you can't honestly be comparing the workings of real life religion with that in a game. It is a gameplay element, nothing more. And as people have said before, Will Wrights words were most likely misconstrued.
Believe what you see

Check out my Spore Creations!

Offline Parkaboy

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
    • My Sporepedia Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2008, 04:57:35 am »
Charles Dawkins

Richard Dawkins.

Charles Darwin.

D'oh. Of course I know the difference, just wrote without paying attention. I meant Richard Dawkins.

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2008, 06:39:47 am »
*Sigh* religion has been argued to death in another topic for the last 3 years. Please, let's stay on topic regarding the game without making it personal.

Keep it a civil discussion or the thread will be locked.

Thank you.

Offline Doomsday

• Track and Field Jock
  • And, boom goes the dynamite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2008, 08:10:57 am »
*Sigh* religion has been argued to death in another topic for the last 3 years. Please, let's stay on topic regarding the game without making it personal.

Keep it a civil discussion or the thread will be locked.

Thank you.

We aren't really arguing religion though... it's mostly a collective "WTF" moment as people try and figure out where the controversy is... if anything we are insulting stupid gaming "journalists" for not getting their facts straight.
"Never gonna give you up. Never gonna let you down. Never gonna run around and hurt you." - Elvis Presley

Offline Whosawhatsis

• Boot Hill Bandit
    • View Profile
    • Spore profile
« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2008, 11:17:17 am »
The first I heard of this was watching a video from Comic-Con, in which (if I heard correctly), Will was playing with a religion called "materialism", suggesting that he sees the religion aspect as synonymous with ideology. He's obviously not as "militant" an atheist as some of us ("militant atheist" should always appear in scare quotes), but as long as religion is going to be in the game, I'm at least glad that the guy in charge is not some nut who thinks he can talk to the creator of the universe.

While I was initially disappointed when I heard about this, I don't think it's so bad. Religion is ubiquitous in humans societies, and cargo cults show how easily they pop up, especially among primitive people (or spore creatures) who aren't familiar with Clarke's Third Law. From what I saw, it looks like the use of religion is almost identical to war, similar to the Crusades and the Spanish Inquisition (though for the sake of the ESRB, I assume that the anal pears have been obscured). As long as the game is honest about religion being used as a tool to subjugate people, and they are at least ambiguous (in light of Clarke's Third Law) as to the veracity of the religion (so it could as easily be Stargate-style religion as the "real thing"), I think it's a good thing, and I might even (cynically) try playing this way. The one problem I might have is that there seem to be some implications that religion is the only way to make your citizens happy, but I suspect that "happiness" will turn out to be functionally interchangeable with "acquiescence."

In any case, I will certainly enjoy blowing the bejesus out of the first guys who try to make my sporeans believe some nonsense >:)
Check out my Spore creations.

Offline SporeKevin

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2008, 02:29:22 pm »
hmm, maybe you should try the eurogamer.net version of the comic con video, it has clearer audio and brighter video (though not a good angle).

In the video, Will Wright actually said that he was playing an economic civ, and he was used a "super power" called propaganda blimp (or some such), which helped lower the resistance of the religious city he was attacking, prior to his buying them out.   He indicated when he sent the blimp out that he was converting them to materialism (for the humor value, I believe, I do not think the game gets specific on that).

As for religion being needed to keep the people happy... I don't think so.   In a number of civ demos it has been explained how there are three types of buildings: housing, factories and entertainment.   Factories tend to lower happiness (pollution and, well, work), while entertainment increases it.  When attacking with a religious unit, it appears that you're more effective if you're attacking a city that has more unhappiness, likely caused by too much construction (factories) and/or too little entertainment.   It isn't really a function of 'religion'.   This is all just a set of simple game mechanisms, and its exasperating at times seeing how some (particularly gaming pundits who write stupid titles to useless non-news items) post about it with such a slant.

Anyway, we'll all see the reality of whatever they did in 1 to 3 weeks (depending on if you're one of the select few going to the fansite admin special tour thingie).

Offline Axelgear

• Fooblitzky Fooble
    • View Profile
    • Axel's Playground
« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2008, 05:12:45 pm »
Can I just poke my head in and state that a religion need not be theistic (See Buddhism)? Wait, guess I did... Anyway, I just see it that you need to remember that Spore largely relies on you to fill in the gaps. You could be a group of highly logical, atheistic, totally non-spiritual people. You're just trying to convert people to your ideology. Hence, the "religious" path isn't so much religious as ideological.
Axel's Playground - Come see what I'm playing with today.

Offline laurenke

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile
    • The Sporum
« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2008, 05:41:47 pm »
Can I just poke my head in and state that a religion need not be theistic (See Buddhism)? Wait, guess I did... Anyway, I just see it that you need to remember that Spore largely relies on you to fill in the gaps. You could be a group of highly logical, atheistic, totally non-spiritual people. You're just trying to convert people to your ideology. Hence, the "religious" path isn't so much religious as ideological.

Sounds great to me. 

I especially like the bit about filling in the gaps.  Spore just gives you the tools, but it's up to individual players to interpret what all the things mean or represent, and come up with their creature's story on their own.
The Sporum
The Sims 2, Spore, Heroes, Custom Content, and more

Offline Axelgear

• Fooblitzky Fooble
    • View Profile
    • Axel's Playground
« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2008, 05:47:48 pm »
Yep, which is a part of why I love it. Just as a military take-over can be the result of a tyrannical society with expansionist aims or a genocidal group seeking to take over the world or whatever, or economic takeovers can be the merging of cultures through trade and a union forming from that or a pair of kingdoms that have long co-existed joining together after the marriage of two monarchs, or a religious takeover can be converting the non-believers or it can be spreading an ideology and political views.

Or, alternatively, a military takeover can be a religion spreading through holy war, an economic one can be a religion based on strong mathematical values showing its efficiency, and an ideological one can be spreading a genocidal ideology to another nation and having them weed out the weak and unworthy before opting to join you.
Axel's Playground - Come see what I'm playing with today.