Author Topic: WinXP Problems  (Read 1875 times)

Offline Arachoid

• Tempest Top Dog
  • A new musical revelation...
    • View Profile
WinXP Problems
« on: August 14, 2008, 11:04:12 pm »
I installed a few games on a WinXP box today, and they aren't quite working. I was wondering if someone could help me out.

Supreme Commander (Gold Edition): It won't even start. When I try Forged Alliance, it just tells me that it cannot create a "Direct3D" and when I start vanilla SupCom, it looks like it's about to start normally but before the splash screen disappears, the error sound plays and a dialog asking me to make sure the machine meets the system reqs pops up and the 'game' ends. I double checked, and this box meets 'em.

The Lord of the Rings: The Battle for Middle Earth II: Just vanilla here, as the local GameStop didn't have the expansion. I was playing the good side campaign, on the first mission, and just as the hero elf dude says, "We must alert Elr-rrrrrrrrrrrrrr" my computer crashes and automatically reboots. When I log back in, it confronts me with a 'Send Error Report?' box. What is this tomfoolery?

Also, how do I take programs off the startup list in XP?

I say NO! to all limits.
Unfortunately, I don't think we're far enough into the Civ stage to have deveoped into the 'Infinite-ghz processing' research tree yet...

Offline DaMuncha

• Lode Runner
  • GREAT SCOTTS!
    • View Profile
Re: WinXP Problems
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2008, 12:19:10 am »
Right Click, Delete

Offline Cow

• Track and Field Jock
  • Rad.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2008, 03:56:48 pm »
Methinks that somethings wrong with either your display settings or your graphics card. Are you sure that your graphics card is supported?

Offline MetallicDragon

• Apprentice Enchanter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2008, 06:36:51 pm »
Have the latest graphics/sound drivers and Direct X versions?

Offline Arachoid

• Tempest Top Dog
  • A new musical revelation...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 12:33:35 pm »
The computer I was trying to use them on has dial-up, so updating is tough. But I did make sure dX9.0c and the latest drivers were installed. It uses an Intel IG set.
I say NO! to all limits.
Unfortunately, I don't think we're far enough into the Civ stage to have deveoped into the 'Infinite-ghz processing' research tree yet...

Offline Veraal

• Zelda Zealot
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2008, 05:38:10 am »
dial-up.

that word has a ring to it.