Author Topic: Database thoughts  (Read 5506 times)

Offline Hectonkhyres

• Scramble Skipper
  • Transcendent Agony
    • View Profile
Re: Database thoughts
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2005, 01:11:39 pm »
I am hoping to have a way to completely turn off the whole creature importing function for a given planet. I want to actually see the creatures evolve, not just be stocked like a petstore or zoo. I don't want some delicate, closed system experement ruined because the computer decides that I need flamingos.

Offline Ryune

• Breakout Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2005, 08:31:02 pm »
I think after the intitial creation of the worlds, they aren't messed with. It would make sense that way.

Offline WoozleWazzle

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2005, 11:54:19 pm »
to a certain degree, but other than a few choice creatures you want such as your buddies, it should be automated so that your ecosystem is balanced

I agree, the player already can already influence what content is brought into the game by tracking your previous choices and Will Wright strongly emphasized in his GDC presentation that he wanted to 'burn' all the player content sharing into the game and make it's mechanics invisible to the player.

I think their should be a system to find certain creatures made by certain users as well.
"The most important thing is for us to find Osama bin Laden. It is our number one priority and we will not rest until we find him."  —George Bush, Sept. 13, 2001

"I don't know where bin Laden is. I have no idea and really don't care. It's not that important. It's not our priority." — March 13, 2002

Offline crippits

• Donkey Kong King
  • Insert Llama noise here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2005, 09:14:45 am »
the only problem to the "invisible" working of the database is this, what if you want to bring in something completely new? you were going in one direction, and then you decide to make a monumental shift in your character's creation. How will the game compensate after you have been going in one direction for so long?

Bow before the Llamas! They demand your respect!

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
  • Now for some real user power...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2005, 10:34:15 am »
My take...

You'll get whatever the databse sends you while you develop your first creature. You play through that game, unlocking the stages and learning how everything works. Once you have a UFO and the tech that goes with it, you can create new species, control what is on each planet, and clean out planets for your own use. Essentially your first creature will be 'god'. You'll have access to the database to 'yea' or 'nay' any creature settings at that time. Will had mentioned that the point of the 'game' was to learn all the tools and then give you a giant sandbox to play in.

I'm also guessing that most planets will be 'blank' until you visit them for the first time. Then the database will look at what is going on in your game and do something with the planet. It might be an empty rock with no indiginous life, or it might be highly evovled group. You may even have the option in the program to set the difficulty of areas. Maybe setting the center of the galaxy as easy with the outer rim being more difficult. By leaving the planets 'blank' until used, it would also allow for plot-lines to develp when the play hits certain mile-stones without needing to 'prebuild' the entire local galaxy. Example:

'Your UFO discovers a race that wants to start a trade route with you'
Once you develop a skill like 'translational technology' it would trigger this scenario race on a nearby planet system. If it was not random planet but a fixed issue, you might unintentionally destroy them before you hit that tech level and never get to do the mission. Instead the game sets this up when the time comes. You might have searched a hundred planets before you developed this skill, or maybe it was the third rock from the next sun  and you get it. Either way, it scales out what happens, yet is random enough that each player will get his own experience.

Will has hinted that the game will be full of scenarios based on sci-fi... so we'll have to see what happened. Plus, it would also leave room for expansion packs...

-Lego