Author Topic: Database thoughts  (Read 5196 times)

Offline TotalSandwich

• Vanguard Venturer
  • Tersonal Pext?
    • View Profile
Database thoughts
« on: October 13, 2005, 05:39:36 pm »
How do you think that the database should work? I think it would be cool to browse theá online database and pick out creatures: To be able to select which creatures and plants go into your world before it is created; To be able to see what the author is so that you could pick out more created by him; and to be able to create Groups where everyone in that group would share the creatures from their world, created by them or uploaded into the database. That would be really cool. Questions, comments, concerns.

The moon is a sickle cell; it will kill you in time.

Offline sgore

• Marble Madness Maniac
  • Actually, Jeopardy is my second favorite game show
    • View Profile
Re: Database thoughts
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2005, 05:45:40 pm »
well its all happening automaticly, so i don't think you're really going to get to pick them out...
What meme is relevant right now? Look, just imagine I'm riffing on that. Updating signatures is exhausting.

Sam:The Ploofy Master

Offline Wahh

• Defender Devotee
  • Dubbed Sigmund Wahh as well as El Cerebro Sucio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2005, 06:00:29 pm »
My understanding is that it is automatic, but that if you want to select one person's work, the game will pick some out for you.

This guy's songs are freaking awesome! Just look at that earbean picture as my avatar!
www.songstowearpantsto.com

Offline Areku

• Defender Devotee
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2005, 06:53:03 pm »
It would be nice to have some option to where you select some of your buddies creatures to make sure they get in the game...  :D

Offline TotalSandwich

• Vanguard Venturer
  • Tersonal Pext?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2005, 07:47:00 pm »
yes.. you should be able to pick .   
The moon is a sickle cell; it will kill you in time.

Offline Areku

• Defender Devotee
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2005, 07:52:40 pm »
yes.. you should be able to pick .
to a certain degree, but other than a few choice creatures you want such as your buddies, it should be automated so that your ecosystem is balanced

Offline Ryuukuro

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2005, 08:50:24 pm »
Picking might be nice but I'd rather go random unless I start getting too many copyrighted monsters or offensive designs or creatures fitting some obnoxious type (like "dark" creatures or, possibly, the opposite.)

But I might go for picking or customizing for a separate game just to have the best of the best or my friends' worlds.  I imagine you'll be able to easily trade via the web instead of going for random server downloads.
"It's just a game!  Stop complaining!"  - Me

"Earth is the Kingdom of Who-Gives-a-****" - Will Wright

Offline Behumat

• Joust Warrior
  • Coruscant committee to fight urban sprawl
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2005, 10:58:52 pm »
I imagine there will be an option where you and your buddy can trade creatures. Heck, the files are so small you could probally just slap your entire civilization onto a floppy disk, and your buddy could just drop it in his creatures file. (Or whatever)

Offline crippits

• Donkey Kong King
  • Insert Llama noise here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2005, 07:40:58 am »
well, I'd want to be able to do both, pick some that i am interested in, and have the server automatically downloading stuff as it sees fit.

i think that even if you pick your friend's creature, the game will find something to balance your friends creature into the game.  so nothing is really out of balance, in a perfect spore, that is...

Bow before the Llamas! They demand your respect!

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2005, 08:21:18 am »
I don't mind it bieng automated so the ecology is balanced, but I'd like to pick some cool looking stuff if I want them and have the game fit them in the ecology as needed.

Offline crippits

• Donkey Kong King
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2005, 12:33:45 pm »
which is why i think we will be able to pick what we want, and the computer will compensate for whatever we got.

Offline 10-Neon

• Fire Truck Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2005, 07:12:01 pm »
But what if we don't wan't a balanced ecosystem? A player should be able to influnce the game to fit their goals on as many levels as possable.
"The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate." -The Resteraunt at the End of the Universe

Offline crippits

• Donkey Kong King
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2005, 06:16:19 am »
well, then you can download the content you want, and then not connect to the internet to get the other stuff you don't want.

Offline Samog

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • objectivists are dumb
    • View Profile
    • -
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2005, 11:15:46 am »
Has there been any indication that we can pick what we want? Is there any particular reason that you should be able to pick and choose? If you pick more than a few creatures, wouldn't the game have to get rid of your choices to balance the ecosystem? Can you think of a convenient way to sort through creatures manually?

Aggressive Questions:
Why do you think you'll be unhappy with the game picking things automatically? Do you have hopes of abusing the system? Aren't you kind of escaping the point by choosing your own enemies?
"Fine. Don't believe me. I'm not lying. all your laziness which you mistake for something funney is driving me insane, quit fooling around!  dude this is just wrong, very wrong. reality does not consist of constrained language. go lock this thread malt. I love the payment."4MOD

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2005, 11:23:00 am »
As has been said before, I think that if the game can recognise your building style it can also recognise the style of your creature and so fill out your ecosystem with creatures that look related. On earth pretty much all creatures follow either the multi-legged segmented exoskeleton route or the rigid backbone, four limbs/fins head at the top, butt at the bottom, one way external digestion route. On another planet maybe all the mammal equivalents are based on a sort of ground hugging hexagon with legs sprouting from each corner, it would be strange to then see a tall thin creature with one limb for manipulating and lots of tiny legs at the bottom. The game should make it look as though all the planets creatures shared a common ancestor.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.