Author Topic: Georgian War?  (Read 18717 times)

Offline Josasa

• Commando Soldier
    • View Profile
Re: Georgian War?
« Reply #60 on: August 15, 2008, 02:29:54 pm »
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26216434

In this article it say one of Russia's top generals has warned the Poland has opened itself up to attack by striking a missile defense deal with the US. Hmmm, Major power takes a relatively small nation without much resistance, and then moves to attack Poland, where have I heard this story before? Poor Poland stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Well Poland is in NATO. Any attack on it would launch the entire world into war again. Is Russia stupid enough to do that?

Offline Plank of Wood

• Final Fighter
  • Ka-Boom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 15, 2008, 02:32:48 pm »
Russia could if it wanted to. They have the nukes, don't forget that the US doesn't generaly want to be nuked either.
the real saviour of this forum

Offline Kaze

• Adventure Ace
  • Vicious Polar Bear
    • View Profile
    • E
« Reply #62 on: August 16, 2008, 10:55:05 pm »
Russia reasserted its regional dominance quite effectively, and showed the US and the rest of the west for what it's becoming; less relevant. I gather this was the real motive behind their military response to Georgia's push into South Ossetia, and the ensuing escalation.

Irrelevant wouldn't be a bad place to be though.

Offline Josasa

• Commando Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 16, 2008, 11:56:22 pm »
Well i came across a few articles while browsing the war (i'll try to find them later), but basically several analysts were saying that the only reason Russia won was because of their numerical superiority. In many pictures, the Russians were using T-54s, and T-62s, tanks which are horribly outdated and nothing more than heavy weapons support for infantry nowadays.

They're also saying that many of the bombing raids conducted by the Russian military missed their targets and is part of the reason there was large collateral damage among Georgian civilians.

Even their infantry carriers were outdated to the point where they provided little to no protection from mines or RPGs.

I truly think that if Russia tries anything against anyone else, they'll get their asses handed to them. The only thing i fear of them is their nuclear capabilities, but there has been speculation that a large number of their nuclear weapons are outdated and unmaintained as well.

Offline Werechicken

• Starcross Space Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 17, 2008, 02:39:19 am »
Apparently Russia have Poland in their sites next.... Looks like Russia want to get the old communist block back!
What have you got against intellectual midgets? They're quite smart little guys as far as i can tell.

Offline Mr. Consideration

• Goddess of Phobos
  • Merry Christmarx, one and all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 17, 2008, 03:13:08 am »
Apparently Russia have Poland in their sites next.... Looks like Russia want to get the old communist block back!

Poland is in the EU, and has more friends than Georgia. Russia doesn't stand a chance.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone elses opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." - Oscar Wilde

Yes, I am aware of the irony.

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 17, 2008, 03:19:53 am »
Meh, I don't think it's anything more than posturing. Russia got the US to back down over Georgia, they're probably just trying to solve an old problem at the same time.

Honestly I think Georgia didn't really think too far ahead when it decided to bomb South Ossetia. I mean, bombing peacekeepers just isn't smart. Unless of course they were trying to provoke the bear to get international sympathy (not too much of a stretch, really).

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 17, 2008, 08:11:32 am »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8XI2Chc6uQ" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8XI2Chc6uQ</a>

Fox news clearly didn't realise they'd invited someone who disagreed with them. "Cut to a commercial break! Quickly!"

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
  • Now for some real user power...
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 17, 2008, 08:33:40 am »
(video)

Fox news clearly didn't realise they'd invited someone who disagreed with them. "Cut to a commercial break! Quickly!"

That is a riot. Ok, now does anybody have the full uncut version of this video? The complete raw broadcast? I only ask because after things like 'don't tase me bro' and the Apache gunship shooting up 'farmers' in Iraq, I am a little leary of taking the first youtube video as the total truth. I am not defending Fox news here, but I want to see the whole story, especially since most news broadcasts in the US are on an 8-sec delay, someone could have but her off without any of it going on the air.

-Lego

EDIT ADD:
http://current.com/items/89207677_reporter_catches_bullet?xid=55

No 'cut to commercial' for these guys. Note the windshield.

-Lego

« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 08:43:33 am by Legodragonxp »

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 17, 2008, 08:52:30 am »
I tried to find the longest version I could. There was another but it cut off at the same time and then segued into a bunch of NWO conspiracy crap.

I too would be happy to see a version of that in context, if there is any more.

EDIT: Wow, those guys are pretty brave. I'm amazed how calm the guy who got shot stayed.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 08:57:09 am by Daxx »

Offline shock223

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 17, 2008, 12:13:57 pm »
from what i have gathered (which is pretty much a collection of western and Russian media.. all bias.), the Georgains where the ones that fired the first shots and the Russians are fighting back the same way they dealt with the rebels in their terrirtory (which is by flooding them by overwhelming force) and frankly both sides don't give a damn about who gets stuck in the crossfires (other than for PR propuses of course, it always better to hold the Moral higher ground in the international community).

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
  • Now for some real user power...
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 17, 2008, 08:08:37 pm »
from what i have gathered (which is pretty much a collection of western and Russian media.. all bias.), the Georgains where the ones that fired the first shots and the Russians are fighting back the same way they dealt with the rebels in their terrirtory (which is by flooding them by overwhelming force) and frankly both sides don't give a damn about who gets stuck in the crossfires (other than for PR propuses of course, it always better to hold the Moral higher ground in the international community).

Now this is something I guess I need to have clarified. Were the Russian troops that were in South Ossetia (as peacekeepers) there under a UN or other international mandate or were they foreign national troops illegally controlling part of a sovereign nation (prior to the Georgian attack)?

-Lego

Offline Little

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
  • I'm a drunk...
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 17, 2008, 09:50:59 pm »
I honestly think Russia has every right to threaten Poland. It's like your arch-enemy putting a gun beside your forehead, and your holding a gun to their stomach. They'll kill you first, so you want the enemy to lower their gun to your stomach, too.
The best person ever.  She should have won the Peace Prize.

What? No full control over children? You do realize that some of us have particular plans for those children.

Offline Gungnir

• SunDog Pilot
  • Bbrrrraaaaaiiiiinnnnssss
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 17, 2008, 10:27:58 pm »
wow...If I had been shot like that guy I woulda been screaming my head off.

Scary ****, looking at the windshield and seeing how close to dying those people were.

Offline Werechicken

• Starcross Space Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 18, 2008, 01:51:11 am »
I honestly think Russia has every right to threaten Poland. It's like your arch-enemy putting a gun beside your forehead, and your holding a gun to their stomach. They'll kill you first, so you want the enemy to lower their gun to your stomach, too.
No.... It's nothing like that at all, a missile shield is usually for defensive purposes.

So it would be like someone holding a piece of body armour to your head.... really threatening that ::).
What have you got against intellectual midgets? They're quite smart little guys as far as i can tell.