Author Topic: How Important Are Eyes in Spore?  (Read 7298 times)

Offline keithn

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
How Important Are Eyes in Spore?
« on: August 03, 2008, 07:54:45 pm »
I did a bit of searching around here, and on Google, and I don't see much about what senses do what, at least recently.

The way senses are set up, and the tooltip for the eyes icon in the CC gives me pause as to whether or not creatures without eyes will be anywhere near as effective in the game as their stats say they are.  What effects do eyes have?  I'm making a number of creatures that have ears but no eyes, and I'd like to know whether I should try to hide an eye on them or just leave them without eyes.

Thanks.

Offline eleazar

• Revenging Yar
    • View Profile
    • my spore creatures
Re: How Important Are Eyes in Spore?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2008, 08:07:51 pm »
I did a bit of searching around here, and on Google, and I don't see much about what senses do what, at least recently.

The way senses are set up, and the tooltip for the eyes icon in the CC gives me pause as to whether or not creatures without eyes will be anywhere near as effective in the game as their stats say they are.  What effects do eyes have?  I'm making a number of creatures that have ears but no eyes, and I'd like to know whether I should try to hide an eye on them or just leave them without eyes.

In spite of the label in the CC, ears are not functionally "senses".  They usually add to the creature's charm, but do not help it sense it's environment.

I don't think we have any solid information on what happens to a creature without eyes.  There's have been some vague and not very recent comments by the designers, and that's about it.  Do a little search here, and you can find some threads on the subject, but IIRC no definite answers.

I can only assume eye-less-ness doesn't make a creature absolutely useless, since the CC lets you make them that way, while it doesn't let you skip the mouth.

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2008, 08:11:05 pm »
There are no icons for senses of smell, hearing, and so on, so they may just be assumed to have those senses. I suspect that without eyes, creatures that arent practically touching you will be treated as 'hidden', as if they are sneaking. This would mean that you're far more likely to blunder straight into trouble.

Offline keithn

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2008, 08:12:00 pm »
I can only assume eye-less-ness doesn't make a creature absolutely useless, since the CC lets you make them that way, while it doesn't let you skip the mouth.

Thanks, that helps.  I hadn't tried saving a creature without a mouth.

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2008, 08:16:12 pm »
Well having a mouth is critical for survival obviously.

As for eyes, about the only mention from the devs is semi-cryptic with them saying that while you can play a blind creature, it will be much, much harder to do.

A good idea for blind creatures would be to have long extensions to extend the range of touch.

Offline keithn

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2008, 08:29:02 pm »
Well having a mouth is critical for survival obviously.

As for eyes, about the only mention from the devs is semi-cryptic with them saying that while you can play a blind creature, it will be much, much harder to do.

A good idea for blind creatures would be to have long extensions to extend the range of touch.

Hmm, mine see by echo-location, so, even if there is touch and eyes are that important, I'd rather hide some eyes.  Thanks.

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2008, 08:34:01 pm »
yea, I did the same thing with the Nightstalker, it's supposed to be blind and sees by echolocation, so I hid the eyes because I have no idea what the effect is ingame with no eyes.

Offline Crowster

• Defender Devotee
  • It's Crow-Time, Baby!
    • View Profile
    • The Adventures of Crow-Man
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2008, 08:35:59 pm »
My idea is that, without eyes, you maybe don't get a mini map or something. That would make creatures without eyes playable, but make eyes a huge advantage when traversing your surroundings.

It's just a guess, though. Maybe you get a foggy effect so you can't see very far.

Offline Gunner

• Bungeling Bay Raider
  • No Smoking Zone
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2008, 08:43:55 pm »
My idea is that, without eyes, you maybe don't get a mini map or something. That would make creatures without eyes playable, but make eyes a huge advantage when traversing your surroundings.

It's just a guess, though. Maybe you get a foggy effect so you can't see very far.
Or maybe nothing happens.
They didn't say that eyes were vital for anything, just like how if you don't put on decoration, you won't get any real disadvantage.
:O
Also, Gunner is one of the children.
It's true.

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2008, 09:10:14 pm »
Except from the fact that every part has some kind of use. The eyes in particular, add the "Sight" ability, so its very likely a creature without eyes will have to contend with the fact it cant see properly, if at all.

Offline Crowster

• Defender Devotee
  • It's Crow-Time, Baby!
    • View Profile
    • The Adventures of Crow-Man
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2008, 10:13:06 pm »
"Sight" Is an ability that the parts add, so it has to do something. If it didn't, why would they put "sight" down for eyes, and no "smell" for the noses, or "hearing" for the ears?

Besides, I'm fairly sure I've heard somewhere that it makes a difference in your gameplay experience. They have just never gotten into specifics.

Offline Pietoro

• Rigel Rescuer
    • View Profile
    • My Sporepedia
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2008, 10:46:40 pm »
Hm, for the 'Mating Call' ability, it says that it can attract predators as well, doesn't it? Wouldn't that mean ears have a function?
"Ooh rabba la dee teeb, ooh babba labba squeeb!"

Offline IamMe

• Gorf Goon
  • +200 Points!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2008, 10:49:52 pm »
Getting into the function of ears, what is the point of having a mating call and yet not having ears to hear it?

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2008, 10:56:08 pm »
We just don't know for sure yet. It's one of those things they are trying to keep under wraps until the game is released.

I've noticed that no matter what, the abilities counter never fills up to green, even with all abilities maxed, it seems like there may be more abilities that we don't know about yet.

As for ears, they don't always have to have external parts of them. Reptiles don't have an external ear like mammals do. Birds have ears but they are hidden under the feathers. I see your point regarding ears though.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 10:59:39 pm by smjjames »

Offline IamMe

• Gorf Goon
  • +200 Points!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2008, 11:03:40 pm »
Yeah, I see your point about the internal ears.

But about the importance of eyes, there was a message in the hidden spoiler data about the cell phase being difficult without eyes. Hang on, let me find it. :P

EDIT: Found it. That was quick. :D

Quote from: http://spore.vg/dump/locale/02FABF01_02FAC0B6_A467009A.txt
0x00000111 ~guide: -bullet~ Eyes add character and sight.  Just try Cell Phase without any eyes!
« Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 11:06:56 pm by IamMe »